Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
It uses calibre for all conversion. It's just a fancy GUI on top of calibre. I haven't looked in a bit but Kovid was completely rewriting MOBI output. I don't know if he's completed it or not.
What is going to be new/different/improved in the new mobi output?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I hadn't heard of HamsterSoft either, but I strongly support Calibre and the ideas behind the GPL.

Same here

Plus it runs under Linux
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Looks like HamsterSoft has removed the ebook converter from their website. I think they took notice once the controversy appeared on SlashDot.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, they say they are going to release the source code properly this time. We shall see.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool suspicious behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Looks like HamsterSoft has removed the ebook converter from their website. I think they took notice once the controversy appeared on SlashDot.
this seems to imply that hamstersoft would rather not distribute the app than release the source code that they are/were holding back. isn't that suspicious behavior implying that they have something to hide in that code?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #21
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
They contacted me earlier today. I will post an update on the situation once I've discussed it with them.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
this seems to imply that hamstersoft would rather not distribute the app than release the source code that they are/were holding back. isn't that suspicious behavior implying that they have something to hide in that code?
My thoughts exactly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #23
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
A hot new ebook converter popped up just over a month ago, and it turns out there's a problem with it.

Hamstersoft was hailed by all the tech blogs as this great new way to covert ebooks from one format to another. It had a simple interface, foolproof operation, and a lot of enthusiastic users.

Unfortunately, the Hamstersoft Ebook Converter is also a pretty egregious example of copyright infringement. According to John Schember (a calibre contributor) the Hamstersoft Ebook Converter uses large chunks of code from the calibre ebook library app and doesn't comply with certain GPL (GNU General Public License) conditions.

You can find the full details over on John Schember's blog. It's technically complicated and quite long. You can also find a basic summary here.

Thanks for this information. I support Calibre (since Calibre supports me!). I have passed this information (along with the link to John's blog) to everyone I know who is into ebook converting.

It's just sad. A group came together to make money off of the hard work of a lot of different developers backs. The entire company seems just to make GUIs and nothing else. Of course they could make a great looking wrapper...someone else did all the hard work!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool are you sure they write the guis they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
....The entire company seems just to make GUIs and nothing else....!
i suspect, because they seem to be reluctant to release/show the gui's source code, that the gui may not be all theirs and maybe was ripped off too (only even less legitimately than the case with calibre's open-source code).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #25
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
The power of "name and shame"!!!
I have been telling all my friends and other students at university how useful Calibre has been for my ebook reading and management. May it long continue to grow and flourish.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was contacted by HamsterSoft on August 15, 2011. They have taken down the Hamster Free Ebook Converter and have told me they are working to bring it into compliance with the GPL. They said it may take a few weeks. I will post more information as the situation develops.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #27
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
This appeared on the Hamstersoft website today:

Quote:
PUBLIC APOLOGY
2011-08-18

HamsterSoft, on behalf of all its members, would like to apologize to Kovid Goyal and John Schember for the fact that since the launch of the Hamster Free eBook Converter program our company has not satisfied all of the GPL v.3 license conditions.

Our Company developers realize that the creators of Calibre have made enormous efforts during the past few years, and we respect the labor of other programmers. It was distressing for us to discover that we, either directly or indirectly, have impeded the work of others – that we have not supported their idea of development of the new software on the basis of open code.

Over the last few days we have conducted a lot of work in order to eliminate the existing defects. We hope that Kovid, John, and the other Calibre developers will consider the license agreement met and community interests complied with, and that they will accept our sincere apologies so that our company can continue to efficiently and easily create new free software for forty world languages.

HamsterSoft
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #28
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for the updates. I hope they comply.

They still need to completely remove the download: http://ebook.hamstersoft.com/en/support but I have hopes that they will comply soon.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
user_none

They removed it earlier this week. I spoke with them yesterday and they had me look at a new source package. It was in compliance. Since they put the download back up I'm assuming they've also put up the new source package. I can't confirm though because I'm at work right now.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #30
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
They removed it earlier this week. I spoke with them yesterday and they had me look at a new source package. It was in compliance. Since they put the download back up I'm assuming they've also put up the new source package. I can't confirm though because I'm at work right now.
That download is only available on the "support" page, the main page still shows a message that the software is not available for download.