Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
bsell1
bsell1 began at the beginning.

Device: WM phone, android tablet
HELP!! can't download metadata

Just installed the software, looks cool, but I can't get it to download any metadata, either individually or on bulk books. This is the error I get on every book I try:

calibre, version 0.7.48
No metadata found: No metadata found, try adjusting the title and author and/or removing the ISBN.

Even if I just have a last name for an author, no title or anything, nothing gets downloaded. It looks like for some reason it is not connecting to any of the metadata sources. Any suggestions you can give would be welcome.
bsell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
That's not a connection issue. The problem is that none of the metadata sources have any metadata for your books. Can you post the authors, titles and/or ISBNs you're having trouble with?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
bsell1

Alan Dean Foster, Poul Anderson, Victor Appleton to name a few. Even when I put in author "Anderson" it finds nothing. I find it hard to believe there are no authors by the name of Anderson out there.

When you try to search for the metadata, it tries to find some then says:

Warning: Could not fetch metadata from:
Google Books
IsbnDB:Could not fetch IsbnDB metadata: Error
Douban books
Nice Books: Nicebooks encountered an error.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What book titles do you try to fetch? Is there an ISBN number present in the metadata, and if so, what is it?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
bsell1

ok, figured out the problem, in case anybody else has this issue. I use Firefox, which works just fine, but apparently this program goes through IE or through windows or something. For some reason, the proxy connection was checked on IE, and by unchecking that it allowed the program to access the internet
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
labbie48
labbie48 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
think I could give you a big hug! This has been driving me nuts for weeks. Still can't download covers ... openlibrary.org covers: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden .... Any ideas?
labbie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Gena
Gena began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by labbie48 View Post
think I could give you a big hug! This has been driving me nuts for weeks. Still can't download covers ... openlibrary.org covers: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden .... Any ideas?

Same exact thing started happening to me today! It started after I tried to do a conversion. I got an error then it started. I then uninstalled and installed the new version of calibre, but same issue.

Help!
Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Gena

Okay, I got it working.

If anyone else has the same issue, this is what I did. Not really a fix maybe, but a workaround?

I went to Preferences, then in Advanced area I opened Plugins. Open Cover Download plugins. I disabled Amazon and openlibrary and enabled Douban.com and Nicebooks. So now it is downloading covers from those 2 instead. Not sure what happened to Amazon and openlibrary, but at least I can download covers again.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Even enabling Douban and Nicebooks isn't working for me now.

amazon.com covers - expected string or buffer
Nicebooks covers - tuple index out of range
Douban.com covers - tuple index out of range
openlibrary.org covers - HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

This is recent as of today some time. I was getting covers late last night and I think I got some earlier today as well. Proxy in IE is not set and has not changed.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Gena

I found there are two tickets opened with calibre on it, so hopefully there will be a fix soon.

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/query

#9355 Downloading covers is failing example below. new kovidgoyal defect default
#9359 Covers are not downloading - various errors new kovidgoyal defect default
Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
labbie48
labbie48 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I installed this plugin and disabled the others and can now get covers.

"goodreads covers plugin"
labbie48 is offline   Reply With Quote