Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Kinda begs the question as to what Norton's Philosophy is though? Any insight Tom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Good question. I hope his thoughts will be published soon. I can see the titles:

On Naps
On Flees
On Bacon ...
He doesn't care much for philosophy. After reading in Berkeley that people food only exists so long as there is a mind to perceive it, he barked, "I refute it THUS!" and jumped up on the table and stole my steak.

Quote:
... Here's the content of the book:

... On Benefits ...
This morning I downloaded a copy of On Benefits from Project Gutenberg, along with one I didn't see on your list, Apocolocyntosis. It was the only Seneca they had, surprisingly. I'll get started on his On Benefits and we can have a discussion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #32
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
He doesn't care much for philosophy. After reading in Berkeley that people food only exists so long as there is a mind to perceive it, he barked, "I refute it THUS!" and jumped up on the table and stole my steak.

This morning I downloaded a copy of On Benefits from Project Gutenberg, along with one I didn't see on your list, Apocolocyntosis. It was the only Seneca they had, surprisingly. I'll get started on his On Benefits and we can have a discussion.
Cool

Strangely enough, there seem to be more ressources in French for Seneca. I found "on the shortness of life" for free and several other books for 2-3 euros. But as I said, for this kind of writing I believe notes are really useful, and I don't think any of those cheap or free versions have them. But the free one includes the original Latin text. Not very useful for me though.

But tonight, rather than reading, I think I will watch another episode of The Origins of Christianity. I love that series
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cool

Strangely enough, there seem to be more ressources in French for Seneca. I found "on the shortness of life" for free and several other books for 2-3 euros. But as I said, for this kind of writing I believe notes are really useful, and I don't think any of those cheap or free versions have them. But the free one includes the original Latin text. Not very useful for me though.

But tonight, rather than reading, I think I will watch another episode of The Origins of Christianity. I love that series
Is that an old series? The name sounds familiar. Who does it?
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #34
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already mentioned it in the What are you doing thread, maybe that's what you remember? It's a French series but Amazon has it in the US. I gave it to my father for his birthday, but I'm afraid he found it a bit boring. Then I borrowed it from my parents to watch it myself

It's the story of the first year of Christianity, told by scholars whose job it is, apparently, to read the New Testament and reconstruct the historical facts from it. Most of them are religious scholars (Catholics, Protestants, Jews), and there are a few historians too.

The most fascinating part, to me, is the inconsistencies, contradictions and silences in the text, and what that suggests to us about the political struggles within the Christian communities. I love it
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I am feeling increasingly drawn to Buddhism as a philosophy (never been interested in religion, except as an object of social study). Would you care to recommend some books?
Most of my haphazard reading has been through trawling the Web rather than books.
But I liked Christmas Humphrey's books on Buddhism (e.g. "Buddhism: an introduction and guide"), and also "What Buddhists Believe" by Elizabeth J. Harris.

But I'm a humble learner on the subject, maybe in two or three lifetimes I'll start to have a fuller understanding.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #36
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm kinda new to this philosophy thing and was hoping for some help.
I've read Nietzsche and Bishop Fulton Sheen.
I am particularly interested in anything concerning human evil.
Any reading recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #37
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
I forgot to answer the question about the date: it's not new, the DVD says it's from 2004.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Most of my haphazard reading has been through trawling the Web rather than books.
But I liked Christmas Humphrey's books on Buddhism (e.g. "Buddhism: an introduction and guide"), and also "What Buddhists Believe" by Elizabeth J. Harris.

But I'm a humble learner on the subject, maybe in two or three lifetimes I'll start to have a fuller understanding.
Thanks for the references, I"ll look them up

Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I'm kinda new to this philosophy thing and was hoping for some help.
I've read Nietzsche and Bishop Fulton Sheen.
I am particularly interested in anything concerning human evil.
Any reading recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
You could start with the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, a great online ressource. Also, SneakySnake mentioned this book recently. Not sure it's the kind of thing I would read myself, but there you go
Old 06-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I already mentioned it in the What are you doing thread, maybe that's what you remember? It's a French series but Amazon has it in the US. I gave it to my father for his birthday, but I'm afraid he found it a bit boring. Then I borrowed it from my parents to watch it myself

It's the story of the first year of Christianity, told by scholars whose job it is, apparently, to read the New Testament and reconstruct the historical facts from it. Most of them are religious scholars (Catholics, Protestants, Jews), and there are a few historians too.

The most fascinating part, to me, is the inconsistencies, contradictions and silences in the text, and what that suggests to us about the political struggles within the Christian communities. I love it
$89.99 at Amazon, and they don't have it as a digital rental. I may wait on this one, but thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #39
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
$89.99 at Amazon, and they don't have it as a digital rental. I may wait on this one, but thanks!
It's 4 DVDs and 10 episodes. But I guess that's still expensive. I hope you can rent it somewhere, it's really worth it IMO.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #40
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Netflix has it!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Netflix has it!
Thank you, poohbear_nc! I'll check that out. I haven't dealt with Netflix before; maybe it's tim to check them out!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Van Morrison like's his books too.

I'm reading Thich Nhat Hanh's - The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. It's core Buddhism as compared to his other books which are exceptionally excellent: The Miracle of Mindfulness and others.
He's a wonderful teacher of Buddhism. I'm personally interested in Zen Buddhism moreso than the other variants.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 AM   #43
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I'd forgotten - I bought Zen and the Art of Anything by Hal French at Books on Board, but couldn't read it. The author apparently decided that the normal way of diplaying words in a book -one after the other until the line is full, then move to the next line- was distracting, and that he would help me read by deciding himself where to put line breaks. Gah! Talk about distracting.

I would have tried to edit the book myself to make it readable, but the little I saw of the content didn't seem worth that effort, so I gave it up
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #44
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
I'd forgotten - I bought Zen and the Art of Anything by Hal French at Books on Board, but couldn't read it. The author apparently decided that the normal way of diplaying words in a book -one after the other until the line is full, then move to the next line- was distracting, and that he would help me read by deciding himself where to put line breaks. Gah! Talk about distracting.

I would have tried to edit the book myself to make it readable, but the little I saw of the content didn't seem worth that effort, so I gave it up
This got me thinking, maybe I should go for the real thing and read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. From the professional reviews I can see, its philosophical content may be a bit questionable but it's an enjoyable read. Though not everyone agrees on that at Librarything.

Any of you guys read it?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #45
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Not read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' - I haven't got a motorcycle .

Your mention did remind me that I enjoyed 'Jonathan Livingstone Seagull' though - one of my favourite 'spiritual' books.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
philosophy, plato