Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Captain Hayes
Captain Hayes began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook301
Pocket Book and DRM: what's yours is yours!

Following the advice of Jelena went to greenreader.co.uk. Quote:
No DRM, no restictions: copy in, copy out, what's yours is yours!

Nice, heh, heh)
Captain Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
That's a strange thing to say about an ereader. It's not the ereader that determines your ebook rights.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It also gives the false impression that the reader doesn't support DRM, which might scare off potential buyers. DRM does have its uses (library ebook-support) and, like it or not, will be an intrinsic (and necessary) feature of ebook readers for the forseable feature; so devices without DRM support will be seen as less desirable.

Lately there've been a couple of odd queries as to whether the PB360 supported DRM'ed content at all; looks like we now know why...

This harms the brand so I would expect those folks to hear from Pocketbook Global shortly.

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
It's not the ereader that determines your ebook rights.
Look up Sony Librie. THE first e-book reader featuring an e-ink screen.
You were only allowed to read books you have purchased from Sony Japanese e-book store. And "your" books that you ... aehm ... "purchased" were only usable for a 90 day period.
No. You couldn't load your own files. Later they changed that but it did not save the device.
I wonder why the device was was such a spectacular failure ;-)

By the way, the greenreader.co.uk is misleading.
PocketBook DOES let you read your DRM-ed epubs. It just does not force you to use it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I wonder why the device was was such a spectacular failure ;-)
Credit where credit is due: it outsold Sony's PSX (3200 to 970, units sold) and it didn't have to be bought back like eVilla.
And nobody actually sued, unlike the Sony batteries and CDs...

Them boys sure can be creatively self-destructive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
By the way, the greenreader.co.uk is misleading.
PocketBook DOES let you read your DRM-ed epubs. It just does not force you to use it.
No, it's not misleading; it's just plain WRONG.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
DRM support was essential for me when shopping for an ereader. My primary source of ebooks, beyond the free ones available, is ebooks borrowed from my library through Overdrive.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl View Post
DRM support was essential for me when shopping for an ereader. My primary source of ebooks, beyond the free ones available, is ebooks borrowed from my library through Overdrive.
Pocketbook insists on the fact that its readers do, indeed, include support for drm-encrypted ePub and PDF files as well as for a multitude of nonencrypted file formats.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It also gives the false impression that the reader doesn't support DRM, which might scare off potential buyers.
I'm sure I actually saw a thread around here somewhere saying just that - the potential buyer thought the PB360 didn't support DRM so they bought something else.

Poor guy missed out on a great reader because of misinformation.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Jelena
Jelena began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 301
Thank you all - it was really misleading information, which now is changed to precise: PocketBook works with both Adobe DRM-protected and DRM-free files.
Jelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:18 AM   #11
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I emailed them, and I'm guessing a lot of other people did, too. Glad to see they changed it so quickly.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote