Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #616
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I've now put up a mobi version of Stoker's The Lair of the White Worm too. I was surprised how well the conversion worked, from the MS Word document, to html, and then epub (via Sigil) and mobi (via Calibre). I may of course change my mind about the quality when I read it myself.

Does anyone know anything about that (Russian?) bookfi.org site where I found it?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #617
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Be careful of Russian ebook sites; a lot of them are of dubious legality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #618
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Things I'd love to see as e-books (these thoughts come to me after I've had to make Sophie's choices between books to pack for my new place and books to leave to their slaughterer):

The Collected Poetry of Walter Savage Landor and his Imaginary Conversations;

The Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth;

Any one of a number of anthologies of Edwardian verse that include John Davidson, John Gray, Lionel Johnson, Arthur Symons, Ernest Dowson and so forth (English poetry of the 1890s generally);

Lesbia Brandon, by Swinburne;

The Seasons, by James Thompson;

Poetry and prose by any of the metaphysical poets -- Richard Crashaw, John Donne, William Alabaster, Henry Vaughn, Andrew Marvell, Thomas Traherne, George Herbert, etc.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #619
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
They've got a complete Wordsworth at delphiclassics.com, which contains Dorothy's journals; they've also got a complete Swinburne, which doesn't contain Lesbia Brandon...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #620
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Henry Williamson - Dandelion Days

Will Self thought a lot of this book - see his piece in the Guardian newspaper of 15 August 2013.

It is worth saying upfront that Williamson's later political views - which are not, I'd say, very evident in this early work from 1922 - were not at all attractive. He was, in fact, a fascist and a friend of Oswald Mosley. Many of his views were formed from his harrowing experiences in the trenches during WWI, and these are more to the front in Dandelion Days.

There's a scanned-in version available from the California Digital Library, here.

Unfortunately it is a long book with all the usual transcription errors, and then some. If I really understood how to use regexes I'd have a go at it myself, but as I don't I would be grateful if someone else could try cleaning it up. I'd be happy to proof-read afterwards - it's five or more years since I last read the paper version and I'd be happy to go through it slowly.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #621
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Williamson died in 1977. His books are not in the life+70 public domain and must not be requested here.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #622
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Williamson died in 1977. His books are not in the life+70 public domain and must not be requested here.
Harry - my apologies for this error.

Presumably as the book was published in 1922 it is PD in the US? So the right place to go would be Project Gutenberg?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #623
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Harry - my apologies for this error.

Presumably as the book was published in 1922 it is PD in the US? So the right place to go would be Project Gutenberg?
It's in the public domain in the US, but not elsewhere. Not in the EU, for example, so you and I can't legally download it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #624
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
It's in the public domain in the US, but not elsewhere. Not in the EU, for example, so you and I can't legally download it.
Harry - I take it that the correct procedure would be the one set out in this thread, headed "Pls advise - uploading US public domain books"?

In brief, someone in the US would be able to upload it here, and report themself to the moderators so the book could be moved to the MobileRead US server.

I have my own paper copy of the Henry Williamson book, but there is a reason that I would like to see it more widely available. His "Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight" includes five substantial volumes based on Williamson's experience during the first World War, possibly the most extensive fictional treatment of the war by a competent novelist who was actually there, and I'd like to think that someone who has read Dandelion Days might then be sufficiently interested to find copies of them.

And correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am), but I think it's the case that while you and I are not able legally to download a book like that while we are in the EU (or Canada), we can do so when we visit the US, and it's not then a breach of the author's copyright to bring the downloaded file on my Kindle back into the EU.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #625
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry - I take it that the correct procedure would be the one set out in this thread, headed "Pls advise - uploading US public domain books"?

In brief, someone in the US would be able to upload it here, and report themself to the moderators so the book could be moved to the MobileRead US server.
No, I'm afraid not. We are no longer accepting books in our library which are not in the "life+70" public domain. There's a notice at the top of each library section explaining this.

Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am), but I think it's the case that while you and I are not able legally to download a book like that while we are in the EU (or Canada), we can do so when we visit the US, and it's not then a breach of the author's copyright to bring the downloaded file on my Kindle back into the EU.
That is correct, yes.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #626
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
No, I'm afraid not. We are no longer accepting books in our library which are not in the "life+70" public domain. There's a notice at the top of each library section explaining this.
Harry - at the risk of being pigeonholed as "tiresome", exactly where would I see that notice? I've looked, and haven't found it. Your own guidance - the thread near the top of each section, headed "Book Uploads Posting Guidance" - implies the contrary. It says this:

5. Please respect copyrights, and don't post (or request) anything that's not in the public domain in at least one of the major public domain book collections - eg "Project Gutenberg" (PG) or "Project Gutenberg Australia" - without the clear advance permission of the copyright holder. Any material that clearly infringes copyright will immediately be deleted. Please notify one of the moderators immediately via private message if you believe that an upload does violate copyright.

Perhaps it would be worth editing those posts?

Do you know why the policy was changed?

Last edited by Araucaria; 08-23-2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: carelessness...
Old 08-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #627
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry - at the risk of being pigeonholed as "tiresome", exactly where would I see that notice? I've looked, and haven't found it. Your own guidance - the thread near the top of each section, headed "Book Uploads Posting Guidance" - implies the contrary. It says this:
This notice, which is displayed at the top of every page in the library forum:

Quote:
Notice Due to a planned migration to a new system we would like to make our library strictly compliant with "Life+70" copyright law. With immediate effect, therefore, we will no longer accept new book uploads unless they are either in the "Life+70" public domain, or covered by a CC (or similar) licence. Please don't upload any book unless its author died before 1st Jan 1943, or it licensed for free distribution. If you have further questions feel free to contact Harry. Thanks!
You've probably clicked the "Close" button alongside it at some point. It's been there for several months now.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #628
Araucaria
Bibliophile

I don't recall ever seeing it, and I can't find it now, even after you've shown me the text.

Do you mean that if I have once clicked the "close" button, I'll never be able to see it again?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #629
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I believe that's right, yes. Notices are intended for use as "read them and then dismiss them" things. I don't know of a way of getting back a notice once it's been dismissed.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #630
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Harry -

I even tried googling the text of the notice, and then just shorter parts of it, and I got surprisingly few hits (two). None of them would then take me to the notice itself.

Perhaps this isn't the best way of disseminating information that you regard as important?

Perhaps the text of the notice should be available somewhere on the MobileRead website? If not, perhaps the posting guidelines should be updated to remove the encouragement to upload books that are PD only in the US - your own long piece on US copyright law, for example, is surely now redundant, or could at least be accompanied by a public health warning.

On the substance of the change, I am surprised and perhaps a little disappointed. I thought that one of the reasons the MR site was hosted on a Canadian server was because of Canada's more reasonable copyright laws.

Last edited by Araucaria; 08-23-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo