Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #151
Briareos
Briareos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thumbs up

This one was really missed here in 2.6.1.
Much appreciated, thank you!
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #152
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Seems to work like a charm, updated to 2.6.1 and then copied the koboroot.tgz from the Installer folder ... Thanks!
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #153
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Hello,

I'm new to Kobo ereaders and to this tweak. Do I understand correctly that this is a stand-alone tweak, and that there is no other framework that needs to be installed to use it? Also, do I only copy the KoboRoot.tgz file over to the device as the website says? What about all the other files extracted from the .zip? Surely they must have some purpose?

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by rayhigh; 06-30-2013 at 02:42 AM.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM   #154
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
If you have a Glo and you use this tweak only when you turn light on, yes. Otherwise you have to install KoboLauncher and add this line:

Code:
Night Mode = /mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh
to .kobo/KoboLauncher/kobo_launcher.ini
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #155
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
If you have a Glo and you use this tweak only when you turn light on, yes. Otherwise you have to install KoboLauncher and add this line:

Code:
I have an Aura. So...do I need the Launcher? Sorry for being repetitive, I just want to be sure. It looks like someone upthread did this with an Aura, so....

Further, do I need to copy the whole directory to the Aura, or just that one file?

Last edited by rayhigh; 06-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #156
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just copy the KoboRoot.tgz from the installer folder in kobo-nightmode_build6.zip into your .kobo folder and unplug.
see: http://yox.github.io/kobo-nightmode/
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #157
rayhigh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
Just copy the KoboRoot.tgz from the installer folder in kobo-nightmode_build6.zip into your .kobo folder and unplug.
see: http://yox.github.io/kobo-nightmode/
Thanks for your reply, that worked perfectly! Really looking forward to trying this tonight for night reading! Thank you!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #158
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[ALL] Night Mode - read light-on-dark

Nightmode for Kobo
Read light-on-dark on your Kobo AuraHD / Glo / Touch or Mini!

Installation / Removal
  • Download the attached zip file
  • Connect your Kobo to your computer
  • Extract the file KoboRoot.tgz from the installer / uninstaller folder
  • Copy it to the .kobo folder on your device
  • Safely remove the USB storage and unplug
  • Your device will reboot automatically

Control nightmode
There are two ways to control this mod:
  • Long-press the LIGHT/HOME button to toggle on/off
  • Use a launcher to start the nightmode.sh script:
    • KoboLauncher: Add:
    • or KoboTweaks: (not working on 2.6+) Add:
      Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
      to .kobo/kobotewaks.ini

Configuration
In your .kobo folder, there will be a configuration file called nightmode.ini. You can change whether the state should be retained over a restart of the device, the default state after power up and the duration for a long press. The new setting will take effect after a restart.

FAQ
  • I have updated my firmware and it stopped working!
    Simply install the mod again
  • Will this drain my battery?
    The effect on battery life should be negligible
  • I can see more ghosting when the mod is activated!
    This is normal, as eInk screens are optimized for black-on-white mode. Change the refresh rate if it annoys you.

More info
For a more detailed description, the changelog and the source code, visit github:
http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode

Credits
  • KevinShort, for the idea and a first proof of concept
  • Nicolas Devillard and others, for the iniParser library
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightmode.jpg
Views:	148709
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	107514  
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-nightmode_build7.zip (10.8 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by yoq; 06-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #159
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The first thing I noticed were the huge gaps between the lines before noticing that it's in night mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #160
yoq
Developer

I just added support for a configuration file and implemented Lucas' idea from a few pages ago. I also moved it to a new thread so Kevin doesn't have to update his OP every time I push out a minor update:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216994
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #161
rayhigh
Zealot

Quote:
I just added support for a configuration file and implemented Lucas' idea from a few pages ago. I also moved it to a new thread so Kevin doesn't have to update his OP every time I push out a minor update:
Should the old one be uninstalled first, or just install this over it? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #162
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Ehi, you added the timeout! Great!

@rayhigh: even if you can do it, IMHO it's a safer practice in general to uninstall it before, using the uninstaller of the version you have installed.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #163
yoq
Developer

Could anyone explain to me why my thread was merged? A PM or a post from the responsible moderator shouldn't be too much, is it?

I really see no harm in moving my mod to a thread of my own so Kevin doesn't have to bother keeping the OP up-to-date:
Quote:
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #164
rayhigh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Ehi, you added the timeout! Great!

@rayhigh: even if you can do it, IMHO it's a safer practice in general to uninstall it before, using the uninstaller of the version you have installed.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #165
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
Works for koreader also (tested on aurahd fw=2.6.1 ).

just need to edit koreader_kobo.sh and add the LD_PRELOAD before ./reader.lua

[root@(none) ~]# grep screenI /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/koreader_kobo.sh
LD_PRELOAD=/root/screenInv.so ./reader.lua "$1" > crash.log 2>&1

also you may want to ajust DRCOUNTMAX = 1 in /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/defaults.lua

Note: long press for light button is not working, you can switch mode from telnet/ssh .
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch