Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Can I hold a reference to .model() and .db in a plugin?

To access the data model and database/caches from a plugin, it appears you use self.gui.library_view.model() and self.gui.library_view.model().db respectively.

For coding purposes I usually want to hold a shortcut reference to that such as: self.db = self.gui.library_view.model().db to make the code more readable when doing a bunch of db calls.

Would it be valid to set this reference just once for your InterfaceAction class in initialization_complete()? Currently I re-set it in each connected event in response to a user action. The reason I do this currently is sheer ignorance from not knowing if other code in Calibre at some point would change the object reference returned from either .model() or .model().db.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
To access the data model and database/caches from a plugin, it appears you use self.gui.library_view.model() and self.gui.library_view.model().db respectively.

For coding purposes I usually want to hold a shortcut reference to that such as: self.db = self.gui.library_view.model().db to make the code more readable when doing a bunch of db calls.

Would it be valid to set this reference just once for your InterfaceAction class in initialization_complete()? Currently I re-set it in each connected event in response to a user action. The reason I do this currently is sheer ignorance from not knowing if other code in Calibre at some point would change the object reference returned from either .model() or .model().db.
No, you can't cache it. The value of db changes if libraries change. Holding the old one could lead to disaster, writing the former library while (potentially) using data from the new library.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
No. The value of db changes if libraries change. Holding the old one could lead to disaster, writing the former library while (potentially) using data from the new library.
Phew, cool. That makes sense now. I just looked at the repeated self.db = calls in all those action methods and wondered if I was being too conservative.

However that does raise another issue I hadn't considered with my id caches I mentioned in the notification thread. How do I know that the library has been switched in my plugin so I need to invalidate my caches?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Implement the library_moved method in your plugin
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However that does raise another issue I hadn't considered with my id caches I mentioned in the notification thread. How do I know that the library has been switched in my plugin so I need to invalidate my caches?
When the library is changed, the 'library_changed' method in actions is called. Assuming that your plugin defines an action, you supply that method.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Implement the library_moved method in your plugin
@kovid,

The comment says that the method is named 'library_moved', but the code contains the method 'library_changed'. I suspect that the comment should be changed.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Done.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #8
kiwidude

Durn it, I remember seeing that function months ago in the API and wondering what the use case was for it.

I guess that "could" be used to set a self.db in response to my original question on this post.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess that "could" be used to set a self.db in response to my original question on this post.
Nope. Check_library will change the value of db (closing and re-opening) without calling change_library.

You can cache the value of self.gui.library_view.model(). I can't think of any instance where the library_view is replaced.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
kiwidude

Quote:
Nope. Check_library will change the value of db (closing and re-opening) without calling change_library.

You can cache the value of self.gui.library_view.model(). I can't think of any instance where the library_view is replaced.
Hehe, ok that is good to know. I was trying to hold a .db reference within my cache class but in hindsight that is clearly a very bad idea. Good to know these things *before* releasing a plugin and trashing databases
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
check_library was refactored a while ago to call library_changed after it completes (see actions/choose_library.py).

However, I would encourage you to not hold references to the db unnecessarily. Calling self.gui.library_view.model().db is fast enough that as long as you dont have it in an inner loop you wont see any practical performance implications.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
check_library was refactored a while ago to call library_changed after it completes (see actions/choose_library.py).

However, I would encourage you to not hold references to the db unnecessarily. Calling self.gui.library_view.model().db is fast enough that as long as you dont have it in an inner loop you wont see any practical performance implications.
It wasn't so much for performance reasons as just passing to that class the least scope it needed to know about - an object design choice. Now I'll just pass self.gui from the action class instead and forget about trying to be too clever