Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
battery dead/shortcut after charging?

My Kobo GloHD is stuck on the Power Off image and doesn't take any charge. Could the battery be dead/shortcutted? Could it have burnt the reader as well?

I got the message to charge it. So I started charging it with my phone charger as I hade done before and it looked as it started charging and the reader started. Only odd thing was that I got the message to Connect or not, as if it thought I had connected it to my computer. Don't remember gettting this message before when using the phone charger.

After half an hour I needed the charger for my phone and paused the charging. I was a bit surprised it hadn't charged the reader more. Anyway, I the started charging it again, but this time I got curious about the message and choosed Connect. Nothing happened, so I left it to charge.

When looking at it an hour later, the reader was off and completely dead.

I pressed the ON button for several minutes, as well as the Reset button. Nothing. I also opened the reader an disconnected the battery for a while and the connected it again. Nothing.

Any idea what happened? It has worked great all the time. Only thing is that the charger is a Samsung quick charger for my S10+. But since I've used it before, I didnt think it would harm the reader.´

Do you think the reader is still okej? Would it be harmful to try and charge it during the night.

I found a replacement batteries for around 17 euro and small shipping cost for Sweden. Seems better than paying around 130 euro for a new Clara GloHD. Still happy with the GloHD

Feeling a bit strange not having access to my ereader...
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
My Kobo GloHD is stuck on the Power Off image and doesn't take any charge. Could the battery be dead/shortcutted? Could it have burnt the reader as well?

I got the message to charge it. So I started charging it with my phone charger as I hade done before and it looked as it started charging and the reader started. Only odd thing was that I got the message to Connect or not, as if it thought I had connected it to my computer. Don't remember gettting this message before when using the phone charger.

After half an hour I needed the charger for my phone and paused the charging. I was a bit surprised it hadn't charged the reader more. Anyway, I the started charging it again, but this time I got curious about the message and choosed Connect. Nothing happened, so I left it to charge.

When looking at it an hour later, the reader was off and completely dead.

I pressed the ON button for several minutes, as well as the Reset button. Nothing. I also opened the reader an disconnected the battery for a while and the connected it again. Nothing.

Any idea what happened? It has worked great all the time. Only thing is that the charger is a Samsung quick charger for my S10+. But since I've used it before, I didnt think it would harm the reader.´

Do you think the reader is still okej? Would it be harmful to try and charge it during the night.

I found a replacement batteries for around 17 euro and small shipping cost for Sweden. Seems better than paying around 130 euro for a new Clara GloHD. Still happy with the GloHD

Feeling a bit strange not having access to my ereader...
Given that you saw a connect/cancel popup which was not normal, it suggests the handshake between the charger and your GloHD failed.

I'd try charging it overnight with a different charger. I'm not sure if I would trust any fast charging adapter with my ereader. I've seen several stories where they have failed to go to a 5V charging voltage and have damaged a USB2 device. This is without involving the "BadPower" hack.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Thanks for the reply

I forgot to tell that I also tried with a battery power pack and another cable that I have used before. The small led lamps on the power pack turned off when connecting it to the ereader and a very low bright sound came from the power pack. Never happened before. When disconnecting it, the small led lamps were lighted again. So something is definitely wrong with the battery on the ereader I think. The phone charger also works okej when charging the phone.

I was worried that the ereader battery now damaged the powerpack, but it seems to work normal when charging other things.

What's "BadPower" hack?

Do you think it also damaged the ereader itself? Anyway to test it before buying a new battery?

Last edited by marp68; 08-15-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #4
marp68
Addict

Have anyone experienced the same thing? And what are the chances the reader still works, so buying a new battery will help? What could the high frequency sound and darkened led light on the power pack indicate.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Have anyone experienced the same thing? And what are the chances the reader still works, so buying a new battery will help? What could the high frequency sound and darkened led light on the power pack indicate.
at a guess, that is the protection circuitry kicking in because detected resistance is unexpectedly too low/ too high
consult the power pack manual or their web site
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
at a guess, that is the protection circuitry kicking in because detected resistance is unexpectedly too low/ too high
consult the power pack manual or their web site
Thanks for the reply

The power pack still works/charge other things, so the power pack itself is okej. Just thought that it could indicate a shortcut in the dead ereader battery.

Will see if the power pack page says something
Old 08-17-2020, 04:27 AM   #7
marp68
Addict

I have now ordered a new battery. Hope the reader still works :-)
Old 08-20-2020, 05:15 AM   #8
marp68
Addict

Nope, the new battery didn't solve the problem. The reader is completely dead. And when I connect a powerpack to charge it, the led lamps on the power pack dies and there is this low volume high frequency sound from it.

So maybe it's not the old battery that is dead or shortcut, but something between the reader usb connector and the battery that couldn't handle the quick charge charger or something else went wrong.

Is there anything more to do/test before I throw it away and buy a new one?