Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Would someone recommend

ebooks about the War of the Roses? I've read a lot of military history but, for some reason, never anything about this war. I'm looking for history, historical fiction, or military history about the War of the Roses. For that matter I've never had a clear understanding of the 100 Years War either and suggestions for reading on that subject would be welcome also.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
There's a whole range of GA Henty's work in the MobileRead free library, Norm (thanks to Crutledge -- all karma to his name). Some cover the periods you mention. Henty wrote ripping yarns for a largely male YA readership, but they're good reads and the historical detail is impressively accurate. I'm no YA, I assure you, but I can't get enough of Henty. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3

I'd looked at the Henty stuff by Crutledge and thought to myself, "I've got to read some of these.", but I didn't even think to check for any in the Roses era. I was mostly drawn to his stuff from the British/Afghan conflicts, so many parallels with current geopolitics. (Sometimes I wonder if the US is simply replaying the British Empire's mistakes? Something about History and repetition?)

Thanks, good suggestion!
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I learned about the War of the Roses from "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Kay Penman. It's an historical novel focusing on Richard III. It starts when Richard is 6 years old and his father, the Duke of York, is fighting for the throne, and ends when Richard is deposed by Henry VII who started the Tudor dynasty.

Available as an ebook in Kindle and Sony stores. (I didn't check B&N.)
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
What about "The Black Arrow", by RL Stevenson (?)? That's public domain at this point, too.

Isn't there another classic novel be Sabatini set in that period?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Yeah, there are a couple of Henty ones in the same time period. Good books.

These are a little "all over" the time period but I can recommend them.

Alison Weir's The War of the Roses, Princes in the Tower (about WotR - late 1400's right?), then Eleanor of Aquitaine 1200s..

Dorothy Dunnett House of Niccolo books late 1400's - early 1500's.. same time period but on the continent instead of in England

Many books by Thomas B. Costain, very popular novelist of the 50's, several about War of the Roses but the names escape me... He was a very good writer though even though I don't remember. My grandmother had a few of his and they were great reading. Probably started my love of real historical fiction. That and Classics Illustrated.

Several others of Sharon Kay Penman's..

Ian Morson Falconer books.. late 1200's..

Ken Follett - The Pillar's of the Earth 1100's - 1400's?

Edward Marston Domesday books early 1100's..

Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe and Quentin Durward 1100's..

Arthur Conan Doyle's The White Company and Sir Nigel's Band 1300's and 1400's..

Henryk Sienkiewicz The Steppe trilogy 1600's (poland-lithuania though)..

note: most of Sabatini's stuff is set later I think. Perhaps you're thinking of Alexandre Dumas? The Three Musketeers and most of his work is set about 75-100 years later than WotR I think. But I'm sure lots of conflict still going on.

note: Stephen Lawhead's Raven King trilogy coming up on my reading list. Sort of a retelling of Robin Hood 1100's..

Last edited by wayspooled; 07-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Many books by Thomas B. Costain, very popular novelist of the 50's, several about War of the Roses but the names escape me... He was a very good writer though even though I don't remember. My grandmother had a few of his and they were great reading. Probably started my love of real historical fiction. That and Classics Illustrated.

OK. That jump-started my brain. Costain wrote The Black Rose.

Excellent book, I read it when I was a kid - encouraged to do so by my dad.

Robert Louis Stevenson wrote, The Black Arrow. I don't remember reading that one, but it's also set in the WotR.

[Edit: More 's. Looking back at my first post, I see I did say The Black Arrow, but I was actually thinking about The Black Rose when I wrote it. Is that clear now?]

Last edited by HamsterRage; 07-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
You might look at Josephine Tey's 'The Daughter of Time.' Tey was a writer of detective fictions and in this one her usual hero, Alan Grant, is convalescing, and uses his time to investigate the case of the Princes in the Tower, concluding that Richard III was framed.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote