Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Irex 800 "luxury leather cover". Who is using it?

I still have not bought a cover for my Irex. The sleeve that came with the device -- while having the advantage that it looks so cheap that I can safely walk the streets in China with it -- is of course almost useless. It offers almost no protection and you have to slip the device in and out (which is a pain) to use it.

The M-Edge version does not appeal to me, because they are not using the two holes on the left side and you cannot activate the on/off switch while the DR800 is all the way in. It also seems to be a little too big, bigger than necessary. That leaves, as far as I know, only the original Irex luxury leather cover. While the price doesn't scare me off, MgMueller was less than happy with his. Shaggy seems to think it is fine. Did anybody else get it? How is it, how did it hold up after using it for some time? Did you find a good way to store the US version pen?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
a few days ago, someone posted about a new cover on the iRex forum... It looks like an M-edge, but with the on/off button accessible:
iRex forum

for 29 US$ it's worth a try, right?
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
It looks pretty good except for the massive spine (2 inch wide?). They they expect one to keep a sandwich there? I would not be surprised if the dimensions is closer to a square now.

badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
It looks pretty good except for the massive spine (2 inch wide?). They they expect one to keep a sandwich there? I would not be surprised if the dimensions is closer to a square now.

That is how it looks to me. I would like a cover that offers just enough space for the device and the pen. Shouldn't be wider and taller than absolutely necessary. If it is a little thicker, I can accept that, within reason. Should look good, fit well, and be functional. So even though the Irex cover is definitely overpriced, I would get it if I can't find anything more suitable and I am convinced it is really good.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
And there is always this custom cover from Korea:

The choice of colors and materials reminds me of slipper.

First mentioned here from the person who requested the custom cover: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...over&page=3#35
The company even posts a comment in the thread about availability.

Company that made it: http://www.hevitz.com/front/php/prod...isplay_group=1

Now it looks like it can be ordered online but when doing so produces a message that I think says it's out of stock. I have no idea about international shipping. 69,000 원 translates to about 62 USD.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
And there is always this custom cover from Korea:

The choice of colors and materials reminds me of slipper.

First mentioned here from the person who requested the custom cover: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...over&page=3#35
The company even posts a comment in the thread about availability.

Company that made it: http://www.hevitz.com/front/php/prod...isplay_group=1

Now it looks like it can be ordered online but when doing so produces a message that I think says it's out of stock. I have no idea about international shipping. 69,000 원 translates to about 62 USD.
I remember that, apparently they posted that they don't even sell outside Korea. Should be easy to make one like that yourself, take a clean cover and just stitch on 4 straps and the loop for the pen. And it is more expensive than the Irex cover. IMHO the Irex one does look a lot better. But thanks for the tip.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Did you find a good way to store the US version pen?
I think my opinion is already known.

Regarding the above, all it should take is just a small extra line of stitching across the loop that holds the pen to make it small enough to hold the standard pen instead of the executive/advanced one. Should only take a couple minutes of work.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
If you read Chinese, there is another one which will be in the market soon: http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D3
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
If you read Chinese, there is another one which will be in the market soon: http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...extra=page%3D3
Doesn't look bad in the pictures, but the outside made from "imported nylon", hehe. Will be very rugged, though. The functionality definitely seems better than the M-edge. Not available and no price yet, something to consider.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
I am using the M-Edge one currently. Although it is quite wider than the DR800 itself, has a wide spine too, kind of heavy if you hold the reader by one hand, and it completely covers the power switch, it definitely offers much better protection than the included nylon pouch, for $20!

Regarding the M-Edge, I actually cut a small hole on the bottom-left strap so that I can access the switch with my finger. So the biggest "design bug" is gone! :-)
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I'm using the Irex cover and I like it. Well, once my sister made me a nice cover to cover the white of the cover. I've got a post somewhere that shows off her handiwork...

I also bought the bigger stylus, so that loop holds it fine (but I am sure, as Shaggy suggests, that you can make the loop smaller to fit the tiny USA stylus).

The cover feels as if there is cardboard (or something rigid) behind the materiel of the front and back covers. Plus, it's slightly padded.

It's not much bigger than the device and it folds over nicely so the whole package is not uncomfortable to hold one-handed.

Yeah, it's overpriced - but I like the fact it uses the holes in the DR800 to connect the reader to the cover. Its more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

In a nutshell - I like it and don't feel cheated that I spent so much money on it.

Marilyn

P.S. But, the cover will NOT save your reader if it is in the front pocket of your backpack (that is filled with textbooks and notebooks for 3 classes) and you drop the bookbag from shoulder height right onto the front pocket of the backpack. Can you say "broken screen?" To be fair - NOTHING would have protected my reader short of a solid steel/wooden box! Sigh. At least the new one's on its way...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I'm using the Irex cover and I like it. Well, once my sister made me a nice cover to cover the white of the cover. I've got a post somewhere that shows off her handiwork...

I also bought the bigger stylus, so that loop holds it fine (but I am sure, as Shaggy suggests, that you can make the loop smaller to fit the tiny USA stylus).

The cover feels as if there is cardboard (or something rigid) behind the materiel of the front and back covers. Plus, it's slightly padded.

It's not much bigger than the device and it folds over nicely so the whole package is not uncomfortable to hold one-handed.

Yeah, it's overpriced - but I like the fact it uses the holes in the DR800 to connect the reader to the cover. Its more aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

In a nutshell - I like it and don't feel cheated that I spent so much money on it.

Marilyn

P.S. But, the cover will NOT save your reader if it is in the front pocket of your backpack (that is filled with textbooks and notebooks for 3 classes) and you drop the bookbag from shoulder height right onto the front pocket of the backpack. Can you say "broken screen?" To be fair - NOTHING would have protected my reader short of a solid steel/wooden box! Sigh. At least the new one's on its way...
That is sad! In the future, if you are worried about this happening again when carry your reader like that, may I suggest that see-through packing material with bubbles? We use it for sending electronic circuit boards and fragile spare parts by mail or express and never had any damages. Just this morning a stack of 5 boards (each wrapped individually) dropped on a hard tile floor from a 3 foot high desk. You can just leave a sheet in your backpack and put the reader inside.

Besides, with software version 2 the reader is the perfect notebook, now you don't need to carry those anymore.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That is sad! In the future, if you are worried about this happening again when carry your reader like that, may I suggest that see-through packing material with bubbles?
Oooh, Hans, that's an awesome idea!

I'm so nervous now about carrying my reader in the backpack (but I don't want to leave it behind - there IS downtime between classes). I've been trying to think of ways to carry it.

Now that my replacement DR800 is here (yay!), I'll definitely get some of that bubble-wrap...or carry the reader separately in my hands.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I thought I'd read somewhere that it's a sheet of hard plastic, but am not 100% sure.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
P.S. But, the cover will NOT save your reader if it is in the front pocket of your backpack
That sucks, sorry to hear about your screen. I've heard of a number of broken screens while being carried in a backpack. Whether that's because carrying it in a backpack is a bad idea, or because people who carry it a lot often use backpacks, is hard to tell.