Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
This is all new to me and so interesting

While I'm busy complaining about my possible ebook reader choices and their prices, I thought I would locate a few new selections to put on the ebook reader I plan to purchase. You know a little incentive to part with my money.

So I decide to look on amazon for the new release "Game Change" just to see if by chance it was available for the kindle. It's not as expected. I say this because I have been reading this forum and have a little grasp on the tension between ebooks, Amazon and publishers. So Im not suprised a new release that has yet to be released is not available for kindle. Again I was just curious.

But I am suprised that the unreleased book has 16 reviews 8 of which are 1 star because the book is not on Kindle. Seven reviews are 5 stars and one is a 4 star as of 5:32pm EST 11 January 2010. The 4 star actually has some personal political content.

Most of the 5 star reviews are a rebuttal to the one star lack-of-Kindle reviews.

I guess I find irony in technological disagreement over the release of a book that elicits political disagreement

Last edited by P.X. Fort; 01-11-2010 at 05:50 PM.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
*ahem* Harper Collins released this book *checks watch* TODAY. They don't even have physical copies shipped to Amazon today. Harper Collins has an e-book edition but will not release that till 23 Feb 2010 ... and on that date it will be available from Amazon also as a Kindle release.

See: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9...nge/index.aspx

Sony, Barnes & Noble, and other e-book vendors will not have it till that date either becuase Harper Collins is not releasing it till then.

What's the point exactly?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I think the point is that a lot of Amazon reviews are garbage. Giving a a book a one star rating because it is not available in the format you want is does not constitute a valid review in my opinion. Giving the book a 5 star review to refute the one star reviews is also not a valid review.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I think the point is that a lot of Amazon reviews are garbage. Giving a a book a one star rating because it is not available in the format you want is does not constitute a valid review in my opinion. Giving the book a 5 star review to refute the one star reviews is also not a valid review.
It is too bad Amazon doesn't have a similar policy to the Apple App Store-where only those who have bought the product can post reviews...perhaps that would eliminate some of the garbage.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It is too bad Amazon doesn't have a similar policy to the Apple App Store-where only those who have bought the product can post reviews...perhaps that would eliminate some of the garbage.
Well, except the only place to get iphone apps is from the Apple app store and I can buy books from any of a number of bookstores besides Amazon. Would kind of restrict those making valid reviews to only those that bought from Amazon. Probably not a good idea.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Exactly my point
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Perhaps it would be good to be able to hit a Kindle-filter button on a book, so that you only got the reviews, stars and star-average from those who bought it for their Kindle (or Kindle app) from Amazon?

Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Well, except the only place to get iphone apps is from the Apple app store and I can buy books from any of a number of bookstores besides Amazon. Would kind of restrict those making valid reviews to only those that bought from Amazon. Probably not a good idea.
Yes, what he said. I find Amazon reviews *extremely* helpful when deciding to purchase a product, be it books, ebooks or pretty much anything Amazon sells. I read the reviews and can easily weed out the ones from people complaining about things not having anything to do with the product (i.e. a lot of 1-star reviews are people complaining about poor shipping from a third-party) and political commentary (i.e. most of the 1-star reviews of Going Rogue are from Palin-haters, the 5-star ones are from Palin-lovers and the 3 and 4 stars are from people who actually thoughtfully read the book).

Amazon is by far the best source of reliable reviews for items you are thinking about purchasing. Don't just look at the number of stars, but read the reviews. Just in the past week I have used the reviews to guide ebook purchases (bought from Fictionwise, not Amazon), baby toys purchases (bought from Walmart, not Amazon) and a toy chest purchase (ultimately from Amazon).

Amazon does mark reviews from people who actually bought the item there as "Amazon Verified Purchase." As much as I despise Amazon's horrid DRM, I have to admire them for creating the best shopping website around. Not only are the reviews spectacular, but their suggestions for products/books/DVDs/etc. that you might like is unsurpassed by any other site I've encountered.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote