Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #16
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Vertical scrolling is a pretty basic feature though. The default mode of viewing pdf's for most people, I'd imagine. A bit of a head scratcher that GoodReader hasn't added it yet. I haven't had any issues with crashes in iAnnotate so far, but I don't read very large pdf's.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Dcubed
Dcubed began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, hopefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post
I use Goodreader but also have been know to dabble with Cloudreader which I also really like for the way it renders .pdf files.
I'll have to look at Cloudreader, too. I don't mind having several programs to play with and see which work for my needs.

It looks like I'll be getting Dropbox, too. I really want to be able to add/delete the pdf books as I want (delete when I'm finished or not interested and bring in new ones that I'm constantly finding ). I'm also looking into those wi-fi enabled HDD for this purpose.
Dcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #18
Dcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I have to say, iAnnotate edges out Goodreader as my favorite.

It loads PDF's faster, offers smooth vertical scrolling, and has more intuitive, expansive annotation tools. It also syncs with Dropbox and other cloud services in an easy fashion.

Goodreader can't even display continuous flow across pages when vertical scrolling! And iAnnotate is "best in class" in terms of loading PDF's FAST.
Not entirely sure what vertical scrolling is - is it like the scrolling on the pc? I thought iPad books 'turned pages'? I've only seen one new iPad, and it had zero ebooks loaded, so I couldn't play with it for that.

I'll add iAnnotate to my list of ones to look at, I do like the fast loading feature. I wonder what the limit on pdf size is for it?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcubed View Post
Not entirely sure what vertical scrolling is - is it like the scrolling on the pc? I thought iPad books 'turned pages'? I've only seen one new iPad, and it had zero ebooks loaded, so I couldn't play with it for that.

I'll add iAnnotate to my list of ones to look at, I do like the fast loading feature. I wonder what the limit on pdf size is for it?
"Vertical scrolling" means making the PDF appear as if it's one long continuous vertical column, rather than being divided into pages - a bit like reading a long text file on a PC, say. Whether this is beneficial or not very much depends on the particular text. Some benefit from it, while others are more naturally read in "pages" (magazine PDFs tend to fall into this category).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I really like iAnnotate, too, it's a really high quality app. However if vertical scrolling isn't that important for you, then GoodReader should also do the job fine.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Overall, I'd stick my vote in for GoodReader and that's the one I have on my iPad. As for vertical scrolling, I don't miss not having it one bit. It's not important enough to give up the other more important benefits of GoodReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
Dcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Vertical scrolling" means making the PDF appear as if it's one long continuous vertical column, rather than being divided into pages - a bit like reading a long text file on a PC, say. Whether this is beneficial or not very much depends on the particular text. Some benefit from it, while others are more naturally read in "pages" (magazine PDFs tend to fall into this category).
I think that may not be a feature that I would use too much as I generally read old (pre 1900) books and like the page feel. I've been looking forward to seeing the 'page turn' feature on the iPad but will keep the vertical scrolling in mind if I think that turns out to be easier - which it might for some books like the WPA Slave Narratives.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #23
boof
boof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Cloudreader for me. It lacks the inbuilt file management options of the others but it renders large PDF's blazingly fast and page turns are as near instant as I've seen.

I found the others (including good reader) a large amount slower.

It may depend on your PDF. I read a lot of magazines so large files, full colour, complex layouts with images etc. I suspect the differences with just plain text pdf's would be far less pronounced.
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post
Cloudreader for me. It lacks the inbuilt file management options of the others but it renders large PDF's blazingly fast and page turns are as near instant as I've seen.

It may depend on your PDF. I read a lot of magazines so large files, full colour, complex layouts with images etc. I suspect the differences with just plain text pdf's would be far less pronounced.
What model iPad do you have? It perhaps also depends on that. Each model of iPad has been considerably faster than its predecessor.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
boof

'3' / New iPad / whatever it's being called this week
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #26
Dcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by boof View Post

Oooh, that is a good point. I will keep Cloudreader in mind. Most of the illustrations are B&W, but can be intricate. I'll see what I think of the page turns in Goodreader and maybe just go ahead and try Cloudreader side by side and see which is best for my pdfs.

But, now I'm curious - what magazines are available for the iPad?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I was wondering the same myself. Most magazines use an App; which ones are delivered as PDF?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #28
boof

I suspect not a conversation for here but with a bit of effort you can convert delivered formats (Zinio for me) to PDF.

I have no interest in purchasing and leaving it tied up in a proprietary format etc. So it's that and then straight into Calibre. Similar to Kindle books I purchase - first thing that happens is they're 'made portable' and then ingested into calibre for management.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Since you mention Google Books, then I would go with Papers. You can synchronize with your computer if you want to (You can check a 30 day trial on your computer to get an idea on how it works).
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #30
Dcubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Since you mention Google Books, then I would go with Papers. You can synchronize with your computer if you want to (You can check a 30 day trial on your computer to get an idea on how it works).
OK, Papers is a new one to me. Is it from Google? Can you directly download from Google books? I'll look it up in the app store, if I can find it via PC.