Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #151
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I was an Electronics Technician for almost 25 years, from 1984 to 2008. I wanted to stay 30 years but making rate was getting harder and harder. It's tough to select 5 people out of 100 to advance, especially when everyone being looked at is more than qualified to advance. My last 7 month deployment was the deal breaker for me.

You should have stuck around. The Navy always needs good Boiler Techs. Thanks for your service.

I'm still boiling water for the Navy. As a civilian though. I get paid for overtime now.
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #152
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
That's a significant difference.

Most mobile browsers I have tried seem slow and clunky, but they have a lot of features. Most mini browsers are usually no frills. This is what makes them so fast. I feel the need for speed when browsing. Dolphin Mini offers the best of both worlds, hands down.

I like Dolphin Mini the best because it is unbelievably fast and it gives you full-featured browser options like full-screen mode, pinch and zoom, gestures, Flash support, selecting text, copying text, saving webpages for offline viewing, screenshots, Private Browsing, uses Google's auto complete dropdown and has built in shortcuts to many popular Google Services like Google Calendar, Google News, Google Shopping, Picasa etc.

Dolphin Mini is small, simple to use, lightning fast, and has some of the better features of a mobile browser.

Give it a try. It's FREE. What do you have to lose? If you don't like it, simply remove it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pz8Tr7YTAc

Download Dolphin Mini: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...22448148952285
Really liking this dolphin mini browser -- thanks for the link! It let me watch this week's Survivor episode on the CBS website. I couldn't seem to make it work with the stock browser.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #153
tkdjr1186
tkdjr1186 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
ok so i have wi fi file explorer pro downloaded. How do i get my books on my computer onto my kindle without using USB, what folder do they go in?
tkdjr1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #154
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdjr1186 View Post
ok so i have wi fi file explorer pro downloaded. How do i get my books on my computer onto my kindle without using USB, what folder do they go in?
Open the app up and it will give you a url to type into your browser on your PC/Mac Once you have the webpage up you will see the file listings of your Fire. Find the folder Books & Documents and put them in there. You navigate to the folder first then You will see an upload box on the right of the page to upload your files.

You must have the app running on the Fire while you do this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #155
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Open the app up and it will give you a url to type into your browser on your PC/Mac Once you have the webpage up you will see the file listings of your Fire. Find the folder Books & Documents and put them in there. You navigate to the folder first then You will see an upload box on the right of the page to upload your files.

You must have the app running on the Fire while you do this.
Is this handshake a one time thing or is it required every time you open the app? If one time then cool. If you have to enter this url each time then usb will be just as quick.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #156
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Is this handshake a one time thing or is it required every time you open the app? If one time then cool. If you have to enter this url each time then usb will be just as quick.
You just bookmark the url on your PC and next time you open the App you can just hit the bookmark on your browser.

This will work as long as no other device or PC takes the IP of the Fire.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #157
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
I just tested Opera Mini against Opera Mobile for speed and believe it or not Mobile was faster than Mini when it came to loading. Of course, Mobile has more features than Mini, but if space is an issue, Mini is less than 1mb while Mobile is around 13mb.

Speaking of alternatives to the stock apps on the Fire, I would imagine that many people already have large itunes collections that would need to be moved over to amazon's cloud in order for Fire users to stream them. If you don't to bother with that, install Audiogalaxy - it allows you to stream your itunes collection to the Fire. The only downside is that you have to leave your pc on (which I do anyway). Earlier this year, I drove down the Pacific Coast highway 1 while my smartphone was playing songs from my itunes folder on my pc in NYC.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #158
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Really liking this dolphin mini browser -- thanks for the link! It let me watch this week's Survivor episode on the CBS website. I couldn't seem to make it work with the stock browser.

Your welcome. I really like Dolphin Mini because it is light on resources, real fast, simple, and does a lot of things really well. It is everything the Silk browser should have been. However, I'm sure Amazon will tweak Silk over time and it will deliver the browsing experienced promised. Until then, enjoy Dolphin Mini.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #159
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You just bookmark the url on your PC and next time you open the App you can just hit the bookmark on your browser.

The nice thing about most home routers now a days is that even when they are running dynamic IP addressing that they learn the regular devices connected to the network and usually assign it the same IP address. For example, I turn my PC off every night and everyday when I turn it on it receives the same IP address from my Westell 327W router.

However, you can set a static IP into the Fire or better yet most routers will allow you to specify a specific IP address for each device, or you can increase the DHCP lease time to ensure devices connected to your network receive the same IP address.

Either way using ES File Explorer or Wi-Fi Explorer Pro beats using a USB cable for most transfers.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #160
obsessed2
Wizard

Two Good Apps Available Free From Amazon:

FREEdi YouTube Downloader: Free from Amazon. Just a heads up, there are some negative reviews, but I have never had any problem with this App. I use it mainly to download and save computer setup and troubleshooting videos that I like to have on my job. This App was not available for a while on the Amazon App Store so maybe some reviewer concerns were addressed before Amazon reposted the App.

http://www.amazon.com/MicroMacro-Mob...2415075&sr=1-1

Evernote: ★ New York Times ‘Top 10 Must-Have App’. ★

http://www.evernote.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Evernote-Corp/...2411706&sr=1-1

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-27-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #161
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

This is exactly what I did too. Works great.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #162
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:

Just making sure you know that you don't need a special app for this. You can make a share on a Windows PC, and point ES File Explorer to //computername/sharename.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #163
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Just making sure you know that you don't need a special app for this. You can make a share on a Windows PC, and point ES File Explorer to //computername/sharename.
That is the method I use but not everyone can do this due to security settings so the other method works great for them.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #164
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Thanks, I just set mine up like this too. A lot easier than messing with a browser on the PC every time.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #165
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Thanks, I just set mine up like this too. A lot easier than messing with a browser on the PC every time.

Both methods have benefits. ES File Explorer requires a little more technical knowledge (e.g. enable network discovery, creating a shared folder, firewall settings in some instances etc.). WiFi File Explorer simplifies the file management process by presenting the Android file system in a format for those more familiar with a PC file system. I prefer ES File Explorer but, either method beats using a USB cable.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-27-2011 at 06:02 PM.