Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
If Microsoft is stressing productivity for the new Surface Pro, why is it that the unit cannot be opened to exchange the ss drive if the owner needs one with greater storage capacity, and a user changeable battery rather that ship the unit back to MS for battery replacement. Downtime for battery replacement will certainly impact productivity.
Most people don't equate this with productivity, and for most people it won't impact their productivity.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
If Microsoft is stressing productivity for the new Surface Pro, why is it that the unit cannot be opened to exchange the ss drive if the owner needs one with greater storage capacity, and a user changeable battery rather that ship the unit back to MS for battery replacement. Downtime for battery replacement will certainly impact productivity.

It seems that Microsoft is trying to emulate Apple's computers rather than the easily accessible pc boxes where hard drives, memory, etc are easily modified.
Given the incredible size of the Surface tablets it is unreasonable to expect a company to offer what you are expecting. What other tablet with the similar specs and dimensions offers the type of serviceability that you expect?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Microsoft has announced the next generation Surface devices.
Are these better suited for e-books than the earlier devices?
Ah, Microsoft. They've just written off $1B on tablets and here we have them, doing it all over again.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Ah, Microsoft. They've just written off $1B on tablets and here we have them, doing it all over again.
Ahhh, but the next write off will be the headache of a new CEO.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And damned good they are, too. Have you ever used one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #21
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
My brother and mother both have the original Surface RT and love them. I'm thinking of picking up the new Pro just deciding on what version. There is no real incentive to pre order so I'l probably wait till release week and pick it up at a B&M
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
My brother and mother both have the original Surface RT and love them. I'm thinking of picking up the new Pro just deciding on what version. There is no real incentive to pre order so I'l probably wait till release week and pick it up at a B&M
I have the original Surface Pro and it's a superb ultra-portable PC. What it's not, however, is a rival to something like an iPad. It's really too heavy to comfortably use as a tablet. But if (like me) you're after a very light-weight laptop that can be used without a keyboard when, for example, you're browsing the web or watching a movie, it's fantastic. It's completely replaced my older small-screen laptop.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the original Surface Pro and it's a superb ultra-portable PC. What it's not, however, is a rival to something like an iPad. It's really too heavy to comfortably use as a tablet. But if (like me) you're after a very light-weight laptop that can be used without a keyboard when, for example, you're browsing the web or watching a movie, it's fantastic. It's completely replaced my older small-screen laptop.
If you hold it in one hand while tapping with the other, does it get so heavy that you have to let it go within, say, 15 minutes? I also thought the SP1 was a bit bulky when I first saw it, but without extended usage there is no way of knowing if it becomes problematic or not. The one thing I still lack among my devices is the ability to ink in OneNote. Maybe I've become a bit OCD about it, but I really wanted this to happen and when I discovered my HP Envy x2 probably won't get pen support I was kind of bummed. But perhaps I should wait for MS to support inking on their Android app? The appeal for me with the SP was the integration of a Wacom digitizer and OneNote included in the Office setup.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
If you hold it in one hand while tapping with the other, does it get so heavy that you have to let it go within, say, 15 minutes?
Personally I find it too heavy to comfortable hold one-handed, but I appreciate that this is very much a matter of personal preference. Holding it two-handed (eg for a reading app) works a lot better. Sitting down and using it in my lap, though, works absolutely fine. It is significantly heavier than my iPad.

Quote:
The one thing I still lack among my devices is the ability to ink in OneNote. Maybe I've become a bit OCD about it, but I really wanted this to happen and when I discovered my HP Envy x2 probably won't get pen support I was kind of bummed. But perhaps I should wait for MS to support inking on their Android app? The appeal for me with the SP was the integration of a Wacom digitizer and OneNote included in the Office setup.
The pen and Wacom digitiser really do work extremely well.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The pen and Wacom digitizer is why I held such high hopes for it, but if I can't hold it in one hand, resting on my arm, and make notations with the other, dominant, hand then the whole function is kind of lost.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
This is true, and the reason for the RT. The RT is a similar weight and size to the iPad. The additional capabilities of RT compared to other mobile OSs has made it a laptop replacement for my personal mobile use. It does not replace a PC completely though like the Pro can.

I think Microsoft's biggest mistake was the pricing/spec ratio. They went with lower specs or left features out completely in lot of key areas like screen, processor, camera, decent inking, GPS, LTE, etc. You can't ask the same price or more than your competition with so many shortcomings in your specifications. It doesn't matter whether or not the actual value is similar or better when you consider included software and capability or the quality of the hardware. Then they charge $119 for a keyboard? I still find that ridiculous. Keep in mind though they had to keep their other OEMs happy while also proving to them that a healthy profit could be made with Windows (unlike Android).

Surface 2 addresses a lot of the spec problems and with the price drop it is a much more appealing package. Combined with the included 200GB of SkyDrive, Skype landline calling, and of course Office, it's really a great value now. Whether or not the public sees it the same way will be another thing.

Edit: But back on topic, it's still not great for reading. There will be some more 8" Windows tablets over the next couple months that should be better for that.

Last edited by pl001; 09-25-2013 at 10:00 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The Surface line is incredible, but I think MS missed the boat by not catering to the middle ground. The Pro is a wonderful productivity device and given a dock, a couple of monitors and keyboard/mouse could easily replace my desktop; and the RT mixes well in the ARM world against Android and iOS. But where are the ATOM powered 32 bit Windows 8 mid range machines.

I have a Samsung ATIV Smart PC, and find it more than adequate as an adjunct rather than a replacement to my desktop beast, and it runs all of my legacy software in a price range not much higher than a Surface RT. I really don’t want to spend a grand for a tablet with a keyboard, and I don’t want to give up my legacy capabilities in order to get the TCO down to a reasonable point.

I may, however buy an RT for my wife!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
The pen and Wacom digitizer is why I held such high hopes for it, but if I can't hold it in one hand, resting on my arm, and make notations with the other, dominant, hand then the whole function is kind of lost.
I use Surface RT mostly but when Im working with Pro thats actually how I hold it. Cradled on my left forearm with the pen in my right hand. Kinda liek the clipboard being held in this pic

it's comfortable to hold that way and doesnt feel too heavy to hold over time.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #29
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You're contradicting yourself. You previously stated that "nobody" would buy it. Now you say that 1.7M have in fact been sold. Which is it? 0 or 1.7M?
No contradiction:

1.7 million sold divided by 7,000,000,000 potential buyers, times 100, then round off to the nearest tenth of a percentage point = 0.0%.

As Douglas Adams points out, it works for the population of the universe, too.

p.s. From what little I've used the Surface, speaking as a Windows professional, I agree that it's an impressive device and would be useful to me. If I could afford it. Which I can't.
Same goes for a 13" Macbook Pro and most convertable ultrabooks.
I suspect a lot of people would like a Surface, but relatively few will spring for one.

Last edited by ApK; 09-30-2013 at 03:28 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I use Surface RT mostly but when Im working with Pro thats actually how I hold it. Cradled on my left forearm with the pen in my right hand. Kinda liek the clipboard being held in this pic

it's comfortable to hold that way and doesnt feel too heavy to hold over time.
The bane of weak female arms...
That is how I planned to use it, but when I tried it in a store I couldn't hold it stable enough after about ten minutes. It gets a little shaky and then the purpose is lost.