Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
.mobi on iPad ?

Hi,

I'm definitely going to buy an iPod when it comes out in the Netherlands.
The only thing I'm confused about is this: is it or is it not possible to use .mobi files without DRM on the iPod. iBooks doesnt read them, and I heard that the Kindle app only can sync .mobi's bought from Amazon.

I wouldn't want to convert (again) to ePub.

Thanks,

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
There was already a thread on this topic !
Sorry...
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The iPad has several readers. The ibooks reader is EPUB but you can load the Amazon reader which can read MOBI. You can also load STANZA which reads several format. I also have Kobo and eReader.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
you can load the Amazon reader which can read MOBI.
That's a little misleading. The Kindle App on the iPad will only read content purchased from the Kindle bookstore; you can't load your own content onto it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a little misleading. The Kindle App on the iPad will only read content purchased from the Kindle bookstore; you can't load your own content onto it.
Actually, you can. But you have to jailbreak the iPad first.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
The iPad has several readers. The ibooks reader is EPUB but you can load the Amazon reader which can read MOBI. You can also load STANZA which reads several format. I also have Kobo and eReader.
The Amazon reader can read mobi format but to be able to copy them into the right directory you'll have to jailbreak your iPad.

Stanza maybe reads a lot of formats but mobi is not one of them.

I just found bookshelf yet that can read mobi files. Bad thing is it just read books by scrolling and not by page turns which is fine for me as long i want to read books on it. But for newspapers or rss feed mobis i preferr page turns
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There is a program called Bookshelf which reads mobi. You can even download from your dropxbox account.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
bradenmcleish
bradenmcleish began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I just did this in a matter of seconds using software called Calibre. It allows you to convert e-books through a variety of formats. In this case, I converted it from a .mobi to .epub which is used by iBooks. Once you convert it, you just drag it into iTunes, sync and there you have it.
bradenmcleish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I also use the free software program Calibre to convert my (non DRM) mobi files to ePub. You can also read ePub files on Bluefire Reader App on your iPad. I email my epub files to the iPad and then send to the Bluefire Reader and open there. Very easy and Bluefire is a great Reader App.

For those using Calibre, be sure to occasionally donate funds to help with Calibre development. I am not affiliated with Calibre. I just think that we need to support the excellent free programs that we use.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That qualifies as "can't" to most people.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The free "iPhone Explorer" app lets you side-load content to K4iPhone without jailbreaking.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote