Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
splinters
Enthusiast
splinters began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Picture book for ipad has errors

I have made a picture book (childrens story) which I hope to sell on iTunes as an ibook. I already have it listed on lulu.com and they are going to send it to apple. However, it fails the epubcheck validation on two things:

1.ERROR: Harolds House.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(1): unfinished element
2.ERROR: Harolds House.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(2): date value '' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

How can I correct this so it will pass? Is there any way I can correct these errors in Adobe InDesign CS4 before saving as an epub file?

Also, each page is a full jpeg image with the text in the image. What size should these pages be for maximum visibility on the ipad? I viewed one on my ipod touch but it seems quite small and does not fill the screen like other ibooks do.

Any help here greatly appreciated.
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
splinters
Enthusiast

The data in the encryption.xml file which shows the error is:

<encryption xmlns="urnasis:names:tcpendocument:xmlns:conta iner" xmlns:enc="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" xmlns:deenc="http://ns.adobe.com/digitaleditions/enc"/>

The content.opf file is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0"><metadata><meta name="generator" content="Adobe InDesign"/><dc:title/><dc:creator/><dc:subject/><dc:description/><dcublisher>buddyworldbooks 2010</dcublisher><dc:date/><dc:source/><dc:relation/><dc:coverage/><dc:rights/><dc:identifier id="bookid">urn:uuid:8927410f-cee0-f5b1-e920-f7107cb554f0</dc:identifier><dc:language>en</dc:language></metadata><manifest><item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/><item id="harold1" href="Harold1.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/><item id="haroldback-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Haroldback_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="haroldcover-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Haroldcover_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="intro-fmt-jpeg" href="images/intro_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page10-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page10_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page11-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page11_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page12-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page12_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page13-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page13_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page14-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page14_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page15-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page15_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page16-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page16_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page1-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page1_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page2-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page2_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page3-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page3_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page4-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page4_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page5-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page5_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page6-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page6_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page7-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page7_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page8-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page8_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="page9-fmt-jpeg" href="images/Page9_fmt.jpeg" media-type="image/jpeg"/><item id="css" href="template.css" media-type="text/css"/></manifest><spine toc="ncx"><itemref idref="harold1"/></spine></package>

Hope this helps....really stuck here.
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post
1.ERROR: Harolds House.epub/META-INF/encryption.xml(1): unfinished element
2.ERROR: Harolds House.epub/OEBPS/content.opf(2): date value '' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected

How can I correct this so it will pass? Is there any way I can correct these errors in Adobe InDesign CS4 before saving as an epub file?
Unfortunately you can't fix these in InDesign itself, though they're quite easy to fix outside it.

1) Download tweak_epub from here.
2) Run tweak_epub and open your epub file.
3) From the list of files, select 'encryption.xml' and click 'Edit File...'. Delete all the contents of that file and save it.*
4) Find the file ending with a '.opf' extension in the list (there will only be one). Select it and click 'Edit File...'. The first part will look something like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:title>[Title]</dc:title>
        <dc:identifier opf:scheme="ISBN">[ISBN]</dc:identifier>
        <dc:subject>[Genre]</dc:subject>
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut">[Author name]</dc:creator>
        <dc:description>SUMMARY:
[This is the best book ever written, please buy it so I can afford to feed my dog, blah blah]</dc:description>
        <dc:publisher>[You]</dc:publisher>
        <dc:language>en</dc:language>
        <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">[long arbitrary string of letters and numbers]</dc:identifier>
        <dc:date>2009-07-14</dc:date>
    </metadata>
The section in red is the bit you need to add or edit, since InDesign doesn't generate it. Simply type in the publication date in YYYY-MM-DD format along with the surrounding tags as shown. Then save the file.
5) Click the 'Save Changes' button.

The book should now pass with iTunes.

*If you have tools to manipulate zip files (like 7zip or winrar) then you can just delete encryption.xml, since it's not needed.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
splinters
Enthusiast

Brilliant...it now passes. Thank you so much ;-)

Just one other thing then...anyone know what size the page should be (pixel dimensions) in order to maximise the screen of the ipad. The epub file is 20 full colour pages and comes in at just over 5mb...is this too big?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The magic size is 600x860 pixels.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
splinters
Enthusiast

Cheers charleski, you are a true gent.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
splinters
Enthusiast

Two further questions: Is the ipad the same format as the ipod touch?
I now have my book looking great on my ipod touch and wondered if it would fill the screen as well on ipad.
Secondly, I increased the 'magic size' by 50% and the images look great but the file size is heading towards 10mb.
I take it this is a bit too big for an ebook or is it normal for a full colour picture book?

Here is my preview picture for the file on Lulu...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	haroldipad.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	54338  

Tags
children's book, ebook, ibook, ipad, picture