Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
anything else magical?
I'm assuming this is either very tounge-in-cheek, or you didn't watch the keynote or introductory video?
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #47
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
I actually did know it did not do flash from the start, but I really did not realize how much I use flash, that being said, yes there was alot of talk about flash and some of it did actually say that flash support was in the pipeline, maybe that was bs,, but still that does not make me stupid.
Actually, if flash is important to you -- and you buy a device you know doesn't run flash -- and then you COMPLAIN about it -- it kinda does point to you being a bit stupid.

So take it back.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #48
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

So take it back.

Lee
This is really uncalled for. I suggest you take your own advice and modify your post.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I don't take it back.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #50
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I bought my iPad primarily as an ereader that could also largely replace my laptop's functionality. I think it fills both roles well. As to the wireless problems, some of the problems with dropping a connection and then demanding a new password can be solved by going to the wifi settings and selecting "ask to join networks" to OFF.

The only complaint I have about the device from an ereader standpoint is simply the DPI of the screen. At 132 DPI, it causes a noticeable loss of smoothness and crispness in character rendering on the screen; it woud have been so much better if they had kept the screen to the iPhone's standard or 163 DPI. I suppose that would have dramatically increased the cost for the device, though.

In any case, I am overall very impressed with the device and find reading books with it to be very enjoyable.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #51
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I don't take it back.

Lee
LOL.

Predictable response, from someone whos mental prowess can't deal with hyphenation, because he has to "start a word, keep it in mind, and finish it on the next line."
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #52
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I'm assuming this is either very tounge-in-cheek, or you didn't watch the keynote or introductory video?
i waved it around and no one turned into a frog. nor did any gold laying geese appear. i saw no unicorns. nor heard any trumpets.

jobs needs to look up magical in the dictionary!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #53
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Must be a defective iPad you are waving.apple genius is waiting for you.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #54
dmaul111478
dmaul111478 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Even being no fan of the iPad, I'd have to agree with the others here.

If you're going to shell out $500+ for a gadget, you have to do a little research and make sure it fits your needs.

The iPad doesn't fit mine, so I haven't bought it. Otherwise I'd just be frustrated with it like you.

It's a great media consumption tablet, but I'm looking more for a productivity tablet so it's not for me. Better to not buy it, than to buy and be frustrated and spending time complaining about it.
dmaul111478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #55
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
I love seeing this post grow sideways, as a lot of people have called me stupid because I am disappointed that I cannot see a lot of video. I never once said I wanted to give up my iPad. What the whole post started out as was a fact stating of my personal feelings on what I thought were the shortcomings of the iPad to me and a quest to any possible solutions to these. Again never once did I even hint that I wanted to dump it. Posters beware this is my personal opinion.
Rarely do I find or buy a product that I feel is perfect, or that could not be improved, many times the products have what I would consider major flaws but they still fulfill a primary need better than any other product out there. Case in point, my 2008 jeep, it is underpowered and does not do great on gas milage, and only fits 2 in the back seat. I still love it, but I do acknowledge these shortcomings as there is no other car out there that does what I want better. So what I am saying is that life is a tradeoff, sometimes you have to accept some flaws in order to get something you want, this is my take on the iPad.
Now if you are one of the posters out there that wants to preach that the iPad is perfect and no accept that there is room for improvement, good for you, put it under your pillow at night after kissing it goodnight if it makes you happy. When the next version of the iPad comes out and has a built in camera, does not drop your Internet connection and so forth tell Steve jobs he can keep it as you felt the current one was perfect.
Personally I would rather see the flaws, point them out in hopes that some of them can be fixed, but to get them fixed Steve needs to hear from us what we expect out of the next one, trust me he wants to build a better one so we will all want to upgrade.
Oh and btw, I do know that jeep makes a 4 door jeep that fits 3 in the back, I had one, but that is again a tradeoff, the engine is the same, just with the 4 door you have more weight and so the lack of power is worse and so is the gas milage. So again, I traded off the 3 rd passenger in the back for a bit better power and slightly better gas milage. Good tradeoff? For me yes
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #56
dmaul111478

I think the problem was more the tone of your first posts. It really came across as attacking Apple like they had mislead you and sold you a device that didn't fit your needs.

You'd have gotten a lot less of the insults if you'd posted a less inflammatory review thread that outlined what you liked about the device and what shortcomings bothered you. Plenty have done that and not gotten this reaction.

But the tone of your posts made you come across as being pissed off that you bought a device that didn't do things that were readily known as missing features in the months before release--and again anyone buying a $500 should take the time to see if it fits their key feature needs. Be it a quick Google search and a big of reading, asking employees in the store, or testing it out themselves in the store.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #57
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

I am sorry you read my first posts that way, even in my first post I was very clear that i did not hate my iPad. As for doing research on the product, this goes to, yes I did what research was available as I was one who reordered on day one, I trusted apple as I have done in the past, I have owned iPods from gen 1 on, in fact I still have 2 of the second gen iPods, I have an iPod in every car, Both my wife and I have had iPhones since the first day they were available. We both love them for different reasons, but we still could come up with some downfalls, much less now with the 3 gs than the first gen, that just shows that Steve listens and dowse make some sensible changes, so that he can sell upgrades.
Anyway, I did know that it would not support flash, or at least what I had read said it would not support it in the beginning. Again this was all info before the device was actually out. There really was no risk as far as I was concerned because as with all new apple products I knew I could sell it at a moments notice on bay, not that I am going to do that. I am in general happy with the iPad, does it do all I expected no, will it ever probably not, but the real question does it fulfill a need? Yes, if nothing else I would keep it, sell my Sony reader and use it a a mail reader and ebook with clock and music and that alone puts it way above my Sony reader. Price difference? Maybe 250 after I sell my Sony on eBay? Yes, having a reader that I can read at night while listening to music, or read at lucnch and still know what time it is. Well worth the 250 difference. Would it have been nice if it did the video from my guitar site, yes, but is that enough to sell it, no. As for printing, ia would have liked it, I even got two of the programs, but they do not do what I want. Is that essential to me, again no, did I know that it was not going to print? No, was it from lack of reading, no, it was because it really wasn't a concern until I started using the iPad reading email and I came to an email that actually wanted to print and I said, oops, it cannot print it, bummer, what an omission, I hope they fix that for next software update....
Old 04-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #58
dmaul111478

Fair enough. I considered buying one as well (my girlfriend has one, so I've played around with it as well). But for now I'll stick with my Kindle for reading, as I really want a tablet that's more functional as a productivity tool for my academic research work.

So I need a slightly bigger screen (to handle A4 PDFs better), an accessible file management system with drag and drop so I can easily get documents on it and into every program that supports them, robust stylus mark up options etc.

So I'll keep waiting and see what happens with Android tablets, windows 7 tablets etc. that are more likely to be aimed at the working professional crowd rather than just being mass market media consumption devices.

Though I'm discouraged that so many are going with 16x9 screens as those just aren't good for working with documents in portrait orientation.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #59
cavi
Connoisseur

As for reading I really love mine, the Sony reader was great, I liked a lot about it but I wanted a slightly larger screen, and the ink was a problem for me in low light, I normally have a problem reading in low light as is, so the ink just amplified it, I also always missed knowing what time it was when reading at luck time, as I do not wear a watch at work. The iPad has been great for reading for me, however I prefer the kindle app, for three reasons, I like to read in the landscape orientation and the kindle app shows me 1 page at a time while the iBooks makes me have two pages up at a time in landscape, to have only one page I have to read in portrait, but I find the iPad more comfortable to hold in landscape, I also prefer the paper settings on the kindle app, it offers a sepia background which I find easier to read, also the light setting on the kindle app remains constant even when you turn it on and off, while the iBooks resets itself every time you turn it off, at least I have not seen a way to maintain it, they will probably fix that in a newer version.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #60
dmaul111478

Agreed, I sometimes have the low light issues with my Kindle as well.

I just don't read enough (novels anyway) to buy an iPad just for that reason. I do like reading on my girlfriend's iPad though, and it's likely I'll eventually move to reading on whatever tablet I end up getting.

But since my Kindle on gets used to read a chapter or two before sleeping 4 or 5 nights a week, I'm in no rush to switch to a backlit reading device. But I'll probably ditch the Kindle when I get a tablet that has the Kindle app and other reading apps.