Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
According to CNN, the iBad will be available on April 3 and available for pre-order from Apple on March 12. This is the WiFi only model. The WiFi + 3G model will be available later in April.

BTW: The iBad will weigh 1.5 pounds. My Asus T91MT tablet netbook with keyboard weighs 2.1 pounds. So much for the keyboardless iBad being a lot lighter weight!
Calling the iPad the iBad does make you look a bit foolish.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #32
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
The difference between a critic and a hater is that the former bases their opinion on arguments. And no, ”iBad” is not an argument. So I guess the question should rather be: Why does Apple attract so much haters?
Well, We can ask the same for Why does mac users 'hate' the Windows OS, especially the latest Win 7?

Why does Apple attract so many haters would be a similar type of question of asking Why does the Rambus attrack so many haters?

Rambus is an intellectual property company holding a lot of tech patents on memory module technology. It basically started up by filing all the ideas various companies had put out in Electronics Standard conferences as their own, then went on to purchase technogies from startups, so at the end, they end up owning bits and pieces of techs used in almost all memory development. It basically lives on court winnings and patent charges.

Their investors love the company, but most who knew what happen hates them!

Part of the Hate apples gets was from their own monoply of things, example like their latest suits on HTC. (nokia is not setting good examples however)
Then the next hate are the premiums they charge on customers to use their hardware. Since after they went INtel, IT know hows KNEW all the Macs no matter how high end, they use the same bloody chipset as their WIndows counterpart. Then they put on a lot of restrictions on their hardware to limit user's freedom, ie no sd card slot.
Such self centre behaviour can be seen as a form of bullying to many, therefore it attracts hate.

The same applies for Microsoft, Linux gangs hate them for similar reason over coding.

If Apple release products 30% cheaper than it is asking now and throws out everything their haters wants them to have in the next version, i am sure they will recieve love letters across board.

that aint gonna happen...

? lol
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #33
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calling the iPad the iBad does make you look a bit foolish.
i always refer windows as Windblows
the name came from a satire software release back in 98 when Windows 98 came out.

I like Windblows 7 but Hate Windblows Fiasta

I love my Wac Mini.

come on don't get too serious!

jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
Well, We can ask the same for Why does mac users 'hate' the Windows OS, especially the latest Win 7?

Why does Apple attract so many haters ...
I have a PC running Vista and an iMac running Snow Leopard. Guess I’ll have to register as a Linux hater!

Oh, wait! My Kindle uses a Linux-based OS!

Help! I need something to hate too! I don't want to be left out!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, I changed the title to pacify you bunch of iPodophile and Applephile crybabies who have absolutely no sense of humor. If truth be known, I have probably owned more Macs than most of you, going all the way back to 1984--before many of you were born. I truly feel sorry for such narrowminded, cult-like people. And by the way, I don't hate Apple, I think Apple is rather innovative in many ways. But I do hate Steve Jobs' greed and control. And I stand by my opinion of the lackluster iPad design. Come on folks, even if you buy the cheapest one you are getting a large iPod touch for $500. By the time you purchase the necessary accessories to get it up to par with other tablets, you will have paid $750. And you cannot do much with it compared to say a tablet running MAC OS.

As for the cheap shots and name calling, if you feel that is necessary then come tell me to my face. I bet you wouldn't be so bold then.

Will Rodgers obviously never met an Applephile!
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #36
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
By the time you purchase the necessary accessories to get it up to par with other tablets, you will have paid $750. And you cannot do much with it compared to say a tablet running MAC OS.
Which accessories would those be that cost $250?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #37
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Okay, I changed the title to pacify you bunch of iPodophile and Applephile crybabies who have absolutely no sense of humor. If truth be known, I have probably owned more Macs than most of you, going all the way back to 1984--before many of you were born. I truly feel sorry for such narrowminded, cult-like people. And by the way, I don't hate Apple, I think Apple is rather innovative in many ways. But I do hate Steve Jobs' greed and control. And I stand by my opinion of the lackluster iPad design. Come on folks, even if you buy the cheapest one you are getting a large iPod touch for $500. By the time you purchase the necessary accessories to get it up to par with other tablets, you will have paid $750. And you cannot do much with it compared to say a tablet running MAC OS.

As for the cheap shots and name calling, if you feel that is necessary then come tell me to my face. I bet you wouldn't be so bold then.

Not everybody shares that view you know. As it is the iPad does everything I need of it and more. THE IPAD IS NOT A COMPUTER, YOU CANNOT COMPARE IT TO A TABLET!!! And it does more than an iPod. Just the software they did for it that does not run on their other devices is proof enough. The only accessories I plan to get are the dock with keyboard and a few wires.

BTW I'm no kiddie either and a computer/gadgetophile. Apple/PC/Linux all have their place in my office/den.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #38
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:

Let's see... you call us crybabies with no sense of humor, narrowminded, cult-like and that just in this one post.... Then accuse others of name calling...lol........

I was born in 1953, so I remember 1984 pretty well, so yes... I'm one of those that were born by then....

And heck, I'd be delighted to meet you... but what's your point? Would you beat us up?
edit: I see you are in Arlington! I was in Arlington last weekend (ate at Ricardo Juarez) so I'd be glad to meet up. I'll buy you a beer and we can yak.... or if you really are a jerk (I don't think you are) I guess I'll have to fight you....

Wow man, lighten up.....

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 03-07-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #39
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
If truth be known, I have probably owned more Macs than most of you, going all the way back to 1984--before many of you were born.
1968 here.

Quote:
Ooooh, ladies and gentlemen, we have a Big Man On Campus in our midst. (I am not worthy, I am not worthy...). Thank you sir, may I have another!

Quote:
As for the cheap shots and name calling,
What a dork.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The thing is, I'm not sure if the iPad is going to be good or not. So I'm waiting until it is out in the wild and reviewed. And Then I can ask any question I want to of people who have one. I am not one of those persons who has to have the latest gadget just because it has the name Apple on it. For example, I'm not a fan of the iPhone at all. Just becuase it says Apple does not make something good or bad. But I do think Apple has done some things well and some thing poorly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #41
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
The thing is, I'm not sure if the iPad is going to be good or not. So I'm waiting until it is out in the wild and reviewed. And Then I can ask any question I want to of people who have one. I am not one of those persons who has to have the latest gadget just because it has the name Apple on it. For example, I'm not a fan of the iPhone at all. Just becuase it says Apple does not make something good or bad. But I do think Apple has done some things well and some thing poorly.
Im going to be an early adopter as imo apple have earnt it AND the device suits my needs very closely.

Firstly i used to be very anti Apple! I loved my iRiver and before that my creative mp3 player, then i got a iPod and liked it, played on an old iBook 12" laptop and loved OSX, then got a mac mini and use it as a media device and general use comp under and connected to my HDTV, then I got an iPhone and LOVE it, replaced my phone, ipod and laptiop for short trips away.

the iPad will I believe be the perfect coffee table device and be able to replace my laptop on longer trips, I will use it for Games, Comics, Movies, Web, Reading(assuming a way of getting my own epubs on it) I already have the bluetooth keyboard so will just get the basic model and the Apple case.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #42
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:

Pretty much me, except in my case i am more stoked about the Courier.....here is a link to a thread I started on the "other devices" forum... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76072
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #43
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I'm excited about he iPad. I may not even buy one, but it is going to open doors for devices like this and get us all better prices. As some folks on this site know, I'm not a big fan of e-ink single function devices. I think they are overpriced and underwhelming. At the same time, the popularity of ebooks has grown due to e-ink devices, so I owe them bigtime due to the fact we have more non-eink devices coming out. If anything, haters of the iPad have to admit it is a good thing for all of us in some ways.

BTW, since we are making cute names for devices we don't like, I'll just toss in my favorite:

e-stink.

P.S. Lighten up guys! Its no wonder we humans just can't get along, we are ready to fistfight over electronic products and internet messages! Let's not even get started on politics or religion here.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #44
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I think the Courier is amazing.... but .... I fear it is vaporware. It has been talk, talk ... and more talk for almost a year.... it is time to make it happen..... I hope it does, but I am afraid it will be a product that is less then the features promised....
As opposed to the ipad that was probably rumored for about 5 years.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #45
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
What chip? I own 2 iPod touches--a 1G and a 2G. Both burn thru the battery charge in about 3 hours. Both are a disappointment compared to other PDAs I've owned. The WM Treo rocked. The iBad is a large touch with a bad OS, a bad price, and a bad lack of ports. Nothing about it makes me say wow, especially after owning 2 disppointing, Apple controlled devices that are mini-iBads.

I suppose if someone points out Toyota flaws you would say they have chip on their shoulder too!
See, the stuff in this post from you are valid critcisms with reasons, simply calling the ipad names in the topic title just seems a bit childish.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote