Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
New ereaders and series

I am starting to look around for a new reader, and the one thing that is a MUST is a easy way to manage (large) series, my current Pocketbook 902 does a good job with the filebrowser and a file/tree made by calibre, but i remember the trouble i had finding what story would be the next when a complete series was on the Sony 650 reader.
Does the new one do a better job?
I understand that Kobo has a rather cumbersome collections system, and no way to browse filenames, so anyone with any suggestions? 6" is minimum, bigger is better.
Build-in light is nice, not a must, epaper of any kind is also a must, and rather the whiter new kind then the old kind i now have in my PB 902.
So please, if you have any advice...

Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
With both the Kobo and Sony you pretty well must use calibre to have your books in series order. Fairly small learning curve for both.

I prefer the Sony because the collections are faster and easier to use and the books are sorted consistently, but either is more than adequate with a small one time time investment setting up calibre.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
With both the Kobo and Sony you pretty well must use calibre to have your books in series order. Fairly small learning curve for both.

I prefer the Sony because the collections are faster and easier to use and the books are sorted consistently, but either is more than adequate with a small one time time investment setting up calibre.

Helen
I have my library already in Calibre, what do i need to change to get it in series order on the Kobo reader? I am a bit confused about the new Sony, one review mentioned a light in the cover another mentioned it as an extra for 60$ the latest is simply no option, the price point is to high compared with other offers.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
on Kobo, using calibre, you can create collections (shelves) based on series, if you want. I use the kobotouchextended plugin, it was extremely easy to set up.
I don't use series to create collections though, I have way too many.
I just create collections of books I want to read.
So if I want to read a book in a series I just search for that series' name and all the books in that series are found. They appear not in series order, though, maybe random, i don't know
If they are in a series collection you can sort them by date added, title, author, recently read, file size, file type, if they're dumped inside a much more larger collection like mine, and you just use the search function, they can't be sorted.
the first pic is me searching for "a love with no name" series (I started typing "na" and I already found it), the second is all the books in that series found by the search. As you can see they're not in series order, but as they have the series info under the title, with the number, I can easily find n1, n2 etc.
If you have large series and find this troublesome, though, you can always use a plugboard and make it so the title of the book is something like
seriestitle - number - title
so that the books are then sorted by series in order (I think!)

*click twice on the pics to have them vertical*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0278.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	110507   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0277.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	110508  

Last edited by glos; 09-07-2013 at 08:27 AM.
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use this plugboard
{author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s} destination authors
It appends the series name and info to the author field on the reader so that when you sort by author it also sorts by series

Helen
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
Roos
Groupie

I use:
/Books/{author_sort[0]}/{author_sort}/{series}/{series} {series_index:0>3s} {title}
in the settings of 'Save to' this creates a directory tree with all books nicely sorted. Having books appear in random order would drive me insane ;-)
Why can makers of Ereaders not get this simple thing right? That is just plain stupid, having a way to browse by filename at least make things a bit more easy to navigate, but collections that do not sort in the right order makes me cringe, and wonder who the heck came up with this!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard

A plugboard puts the series name and number in the author field when you send it to the reader or save to disk.

This almost always makes it sort by series because the author is usually the same.
Works for both Sony and Kobo.

There is also a tweak for sony called Specify how Sony will sort collections which works for the Sonys
Mine is
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['author_sort'], 'series_index')]

Sony is better for collections than Kobo IMO because it sorts consistently and is faster accessing collections.

This post has a thumbnail and a better description

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...db#post1647405
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Roos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
A plugboard puts the series name and number in the author field when you send it to the reader or save to disk.

This almost always makes it sort by series because the author is usually the same.
Works for both Sony and Kobo.

There is also a tweak for sony called Specify how Sony will sort collections which works for the Sonys
Mine is
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['author_sort'], 'series_index')]

Sony is better for collections than Kobo IMO because it sorts consistently and is faster accessing collections.

This post has a thumbnail and a better description

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...db#post1647405
Great, i am reading and trying to change it to what i want I got myself a Kobo Aura HD, 6,8" for my old eyes beats 6" and then still it will be hard coming from a PB 902 with a 9.8" screen.
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!