Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Text link to End Note and back again

Using 0.6, is there an easy way to insert 'back and forth' endnotes?

i.e.

1. Click [1] (the link) in the text and it goes to [1] (the anchor) in end notes.

2. Then click [1] (also a link) in the end notes and jump back to [1] (also an anchor) in the text.

I borrowed some code to see how it's done:

Code:

<a id="fnref0"></a>
<a href="../Text/EndNotes.htm#fn0">
[1]
</a>

Code:

<p>
<a id="fn0"></a>
<a href="../Text/Chapter0001#fnref0">
[1]
</a>
</p>

With the great new features in 0.6 the links and the anchors are easy, but I was wondering if there was a trick or suggestion to add the 'back and forth' part all in one go??

Paul
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Not in one go. I'm considering adding something to help with this in some future release, but even then it wouldn't be one step. The issue is that you would have to define an id for the target footnote first, then define an id for the source link, and then when you create the link there could be an option to create the link and reverse link. Its possible to code it so that it skips the id for the source link by generating an automatic id if there isn't one, but you would still need to define the footnote link id first to have something to link to.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Another problem is you may want to link to a footnote from more than one place, such as map. You might not want to code a jump back in that case.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@meme -- I didn't think it was possible, but there's a lot of Sigil features I'm only scratching the sureface. Never hurts to ask.

A lot of books seem to have that back and forth, and if it were easy enought for me, I thought I could include it. I'll still try the current method, and hopefully I'll be able to keep things streight.

Based on your comments, I'd envison (from my side of the keyboard)

1. Enter ID for End Note

e.g. <id = EN0001>

2. Enter Link to the End Note

e.g. <href: ...#EN0001>

3. AND OPTIONAL at that point, add a ID to the Text and a corresponding Link at the End Note

e.g. <href: ...#EN0001><id = hrefEN0001> and
<id = EN0001><href: ... #hrefEN001>

@mrmike -- since it's an option to add the 'reverse' link, you could still just link to the same ID from one or more places

Paul

Last edited by phossler; 11-30-2012 at 12:20 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
On an epub program I wrote a long time ago, I made it all automatic. The endnote was placed right in the text surrounded with ##endnote##, including any html markup. The endnotes were processed all in one go, after the book was finished. It numbered the notes, starting at 1 for each file, generated the forward and back id's, and separated the endnotes into files: "Notes for [title of file], created the files, added them to the manifest, etc., etc. It was about the only part of the program that worked consistently well, and was sure a timesaver if you had a lot of notes.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
When I use my macro to create HTML from a Word document, the links are already created correctly. Can save me a lot of work...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote