Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #106
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Could someone try to explain this situation to me again? I'm too stupid to understand it, it seems.

Why does anyone care, or even has a supposed "right" to interfere, about what I do with a product I bought or licensed the use of a copy?

If I buy a cell phone, or a eBook reader - why should the original vendor have any right to know/control what I do with it?
I could use it to wipe my bottom and it would be none of their business.
They're not involved anymore - as long as I don't claim warranty or resell it.

I could see the problem if what I did would in any way involve them - like trying to jailbreak a device, brick it and try to get a refund.
But that's not the issue, is it?

I assume car manufacturers are going to make it illegal to drive cars outside certain countries? Or only use with unleaded, ethanol-free gas?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #107
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The real problem is that the vendors are subsidizing the cost of the devices in anticipation of future revenues that are a consequence of your use. They are trying to prevent you from escaping the future expenditures.

It would be difficult for them to coerce a legislative body to act on this, so they invented this licensing issue.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #108
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Please correct me if I am wrong, technically speaking, there has been no change for us whatsoever.

The DMCA has been around since 199. The exception regarding jailbreaking specifically targets smartphones. Tablets (of e-readers, if you consider them tablets) were never part of the exception. Rooting tablets has always been a DMCA violation - if copyrighted code was used and shared. To me, things are as they were yesterday, and the day before that.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #109
sreknob
sreknob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Very interesting. I wonder if the new Surface tablet is applicable in some way. Is it a comptuer of a tablet. What about the Galaxy Note? Poor definitions will only cause confusion here, beyond the rediculous nature of it to begin with.
sreknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #110
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I would imagine the only companies that would make use of this are those with locked down ecosystems. I can't see Acer, for ex, caring much - if anything it saves them support costs when the warranty is voided by rooting.

Granted, the largest players are those who also sell / control content, but as I can access all my Amazon content on my tablet quite easily and legally, I don't need a Fire to use the ecosystem anyway. iOS is the platform with no other options in terms of alternate hardware, but the majority of my iFriends aren't interested in jail breaking their devices anyway, and I wager that is true for the majority of users.

The devices most likely to be jailbroken or rooted are those which are partially subsidized by projected future purchases, like the Nook or Fire. But I can't see amazon sending people to jail. The backlash would be immense if they did. B&N are an unknown now that they are partnering with MS. Not sure how they would proceed.

So, while I'm not pleased with any of this, reality (combined with the fact that they can't decide what a tablet actually is) seems to be that this is mostly language meant to dissuade via criminalization. It relies on the companies themselves to use the correct TOS / license language and to monitor their respective ecosystems for hardware in violation of that language and then initiate action against one of their customers. I suspect few would.

I suspect Google may be modifying their partner agreement soon. Just a hunch.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #111
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
iFriends

K for that
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #112
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I would like to know who "advised" the Librarian of Congress about this. And also what this means for people not in the US.

Okay, as others have said, if you tinker with your equipment and break it, too bad.

But for the Librarian to issue this degree .... Well again, on what did he base this decision?

I happen to work at the Library of Congress. We are supposed to be the bestest library ever, ever, ever in the world, but in my experience when it comes to tech, we rather lag behind. Even if we did decide to archive Twitter, lol.

I will not hesitate to tinker with any future devices I buy, if possible.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #113
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
I will not hesitate to tinker with any future devices I buy, if possible.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #114
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
I'm going off on a slight tangent, but maybe someone could set me straight on a thought here.............

If I didn't buy the device, and I only have the license to use it, then there should be no warranty expiry. The device is still theirs and if something goes wrong, they should fix it regardless of how long I owned it.

Am I off base here?

Last edited by gridlewak; 11-02-2012 at 05:28 AM.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #115
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlewak View Post
I'm going off on a slight tangent, but maybe someone could set me straight on a thought here.............

If I didn't buy the device, and I only have the license to use it, then there should be no warranty expiry. The device is still theirs and if something goes wrong, they should fix it regardless of how long I owned it.

Am I off base here?
The physical device is yours. It's software is theirs.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #116
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Actually, gridlewak, I rather like your logic.

If they own the firmware and software, then why shouldn't they be responsible for the effect of updates gone wrong, especially if stability's damaged or features which might have influenced one's purchasing decision are removed or changed?

That argument might sound far-fetched, but if it benefited the companies that make our devices, it would have been presented in court long ago.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #117
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlewak View Post

Am I off base here?
Yes. It's no different than when a business buys a system. Typically there are maintenance plans sold if you want ongoing support. Until the system is no longer supported, then support simply ends. Nothing is supported forever.

Apple does sell extra support, do they not? Same thing, they spell it out to you up front.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #118
shenye
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Nothing is supported forever.
Quite right. Once a device is no longer supported, I may just buy a new device. Very lucrative for every device maker. Bad for the environment, maybe, but who cares. Seriously - consider CyanogenMod for Android systems. If I were no longer allowed to install the ROM of my choosing, my device would have been outdated for a long time. I wish Greenpeace and co had a say in these matters.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #119
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
I wish Greenpeace and co had a say in these matters.
By corporate logic and decree, the Earth has unlimited resources and can support infinite greed.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #120
shenye
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
By corporate logic and decree, the Earth has unlimited resources and can support infinite greed.
Unfortunately, this is very true and applies to all cooperation worldwide. One of my favorite quotes:

Quote:
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.
Gordon Gekko in Wall Street (1987)