Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
Kindle (non) touch: how to read comics?

With the new update we can now read comics in panel view.

Sounds really interesting, but I can't get it to work. I have a lot of comics in .cbr format. I put one comic (the seperate .jpg files) in a zip file and put it in my documents folder on my kindle.

Now I can look at the images, but how do I enable panel view?

Perhaps I shouldn't use .zip, but .cbr is not working and converting a .cbr to .mobi doesn't enable panel view for my Kindle.

I also tried to buy a comic book on amazon to see how panel view looks like, but I can't find any comic books?
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The panel view only works with Amazon bought content and selected comic books (not the ones that were released a year or so). Apparently people are having issues finding them, and the only books I see with it are only for the Kindle Fire. In the announcement they said it may be a few weeks before they're updated for eInk, so it may just be that they haven't been updated yet.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope Amazon will release a tool to create your own panel view documents, it would be great if I can scan my own comics and read them on my Kindle.

If I can buy a comic I can perhaps create my own when I look at the structure. I tried to buy a Kindle fire comic, but amazon warns me I cannot read it on my Kindle... I will wait and hope I can enjoy comics soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
I hope Amazon will release a tool to create your own panel view documents, it would be great if I can scan my own comics and read them on my Kindle.

If I can buy a comic I can perhaps create my own when I look at the structure. I tried to buy a Kindle fire comic, but amazon warns me I cannot read it on my Kindle... I will wait and hope I can enjoy comics soon.
Amazon does release such a tool (kindlegen/kindle previewer). However, it does not automatically create panel views, and so it will take a fair amount of work to put those together, since you must specify the dimensions and position of each 'panel'. I would imagine there are tools for this but they are probably proprietary at this point.

Has anyone actually been able to view a KF8 fixed-layout comic book on Kindle?

The two I own (Watchman and V for Vendetta) say they can only be viewed on Kindle Fire, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iPad, and Kindle Cloud Reader. However the Deliver To.. options do not match up to the Available on these devices... list. For example, I cannot deliver Watchman to my iPod Touch, but I am able to download from Archives to it. Similarly I can download V4V to my Xoom running K4Android (as the 'Available..' info suggests should work) but cannot select my Xoom as a Deliver To.. device. And Cloud Reader can't read V4V as the Available option suggests.

Obviously there are some wrinkles to iron out. Perhaps some of the content needs to be updated to support devices which were not supported when KF8 first came out.

(update I guess this is part of the answer, in the 4.1 update notes "Books that support these features will be available in the Kindle store over the next few weeks." So none of the existing KF8 fixed layout titles will work on 'Kindle', apparently, or at least they need to be updated before they'll work.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I have converted a few comic series to be viewed on my Kindle, and have been rather pleased by how good they look on the eInk screen.

But, the lack of panel-view has been a bit of a bother with some comics. It would be nice, to say the least.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
snoeki
Connoisseur

RainingLemur, how did you convert them? I have tried the seperate .jpg files and putting them inside a .pdf file, but my main problem is zooming to read the text in the comics.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
RainingLemur, how did you convert them? I have tried the seperate .jpg files and putting them inside a .pdf file, but my main problem is zooming to read the text in the comics.
I'd like to know how you do it as well.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I just used Calibre to convert them.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
WritePR
Gadget Girl/Avid Reader
WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WritePR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nook Color, Kindle Touch
Get an Apple or Android device and use the Comixology app. It's awesome.
WritePR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
mukarakaplan
mukarakaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Any news about this? It has been more than a month (actually almost two months) since we got the updates supporting kf8 on e-ink Kindles. There they announced that "books that support [Kindle Panel View] will be available from the Kindle store over the next few weeks." I've checked all of the Kindle panel view comics published on the 19th of July, but none of them has "deliver to my kindle" option available.

Does anybody have an idea when panel view comics will be available for e-ink Kindles? I am reading it correctly, right? I feel like I am waiting for something which is never going to happen at all. I just don't understand why it's taking so long. Those panel view comics are already available on Kindle Fire and cloud reader, so why not on e-ink Kindles that support kf8?

Last edited by mukarakaplan; 07-25-2012 at 04:57 AM.
mukarakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
So I see a list of comics/graphic novels that support Panel View on Amazon, I wanted to sample one of these on my NT Kindle to see exactly how it looks but they don't have the option to send a sample to my Kindle, only to my Kindle cloud reader. Has anyone actually tried one of these "panel view" comics on their NT Kindles to see what it actually looks like?

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3387681011

Edit: I can't even buy one of the comics to send to my Kindle, the only option in the drop down is "cloud reader" -- what gives?

Last edited by Zeebra; 08-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
twilightsenpai
twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I just used Calibre to convert them.
I use Mangle to convert.
twilightsenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #13
mukarakaplan
mukarakaplan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Zeebra, I think the e-ink Kindles are ready software-wise to display panel view comics after the recent updates. But my guess is that Amazon don't want to advertise it yet because the new Kindles are coming and they probably want to advertise the feature as a new thing of Kindle Flame. We'll be able to select our Kindle e-ink devices from the drop down menus of the panel view comics once the new Kindles are out.
mukarakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote