Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So, briefly, what do you think about the Kindle now?

Now that there has been time for a few reviews around the web, plus a lot of discussion and a lucky few actual units, I'm interested to know what people are thinking. Tell us if you have one, or are basing your opinion on the discussions. And in one paragraph or less, what is your current bottom line opinion? Love it? Hate it?

I'll start things off with a few of my own thoughts (subject to change over time, of course). I haven't touched one, so this is just based on what I've read.

I'm not thrilled with the DRM scheme or privacy issues, but this does look like a nice e-ink device. Of course it's got the Amazon name, and a library of books that you can buy without using a PC. I like the built-in dictionary and the ability to read the first chapter of any book before buying. Despite being "gadgety", it should bring e-books to a much wider audience, which will also help out e-books in general. It isn't likely to replace my PRS-500 Sony Reader, which I've become rather attached to (probably much like some people are attached to paper books), but I'm sure it will be a perfect choice for many readers.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
I've touched one, and it has replaced my Sony reader. As a mac user, having the wireless capability is far superior to having to boot through parallels to manage content. The basic reading process is the same. The prices are much more competitive thatn Sony (at least until a couple of days ago), and I'm willing to throw $9.99 after a book rather than wait for library availability. It will hopefully improve over time, but it's a winner for me.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I would be more impressed with it if it had standard Mobipocket capability rather than their own proprietary service. But even if they went with a more open route, until a true nextgen device comes along, I'll be sticking with my Iliad (color and speed improvements, more fluid web access, the ability to download directly from the local library, etc.)
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I absolutely love mine.

I've held off on the e-book wars for awhile - I almost bought the Sony, but their lack of support for Macs, problems with various Sony DRMs in the past, and the cost of books in the connect store all stopped me. I thought the Kindle was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, until I saw the videos on the amazon site. It's still not "Apple beautiful", but it's not terrible. The synergy between the Kindle store and wireless downloading is wonderful - and costly. It's just too easy to buy new books - almost like they want me to spend money The buttons on the side are too easy to hit, but if I keep the Kindle in its case, I don't find the buttons get in the way.

I'd like a nicer case, and I'm looking for a book light solution. On the amazon site, they talk about the Mighty Bright UltrFlex2 as being "custom designed" for the Kindle, but it's not a new book light? What's so special about this book light? Any suggestions on a good book light that will fit over the leather cover?

Tracey
(I guess I wasn't brief...)
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Needs a third-party case. That case is futile. The buttons at the edges are intrusive. Get rid of the one on the right, or make it at least 50% smaller. Power switches need to be relocated to a more convenient area (I turn wireless off unless I am actively using it, and I would prefer to do a power-down rather than the sleep mode).
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm really happy with my Kindle. It's easy to use and easy on the eyes. EVDO is worth the extra $ (as compared to the Sony 505) and it's fun to have web resources at my fingertips while I'm reading. I don't like not being able to read DRMed Mobi books. The side buttons really need to be changed. The case needs a little more work and, please, some other color besides black.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I love it and it's replaced my Sony reader. As a mac user, having something that's friendly to my operation system is a nice change. I like the look, feel and usability of the device as it fits my needs perfectly. DRM isn't a big deal to me. Some minor changes could be made, but all in all, a great product and no buyers remorse for me.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
While I have no direct experience with a Kindle, I find myself impressed by it so far. I continue to hold reservations about the DRM and privacy issues, but Amazon seems to have managed to position this thing remarkably well. My step-mother was completely unimpressed with my PRS500 last Christmas, but she's actually talking about buying a Kindle now. She wants it for read-and-toss books when she and my father travel (by RV, so space is a consideration), so the DRM isn't a concern for her. The EVDO means that she can probably get new books while they're traveling, even if she has to do so as they're passing through a large city. Perhaps the best-seller reading, RV traveler is the target demographic that Amazon has aimed for -- it's certainly one they're hitting. Overall, the device seems to be pretty solidly designed, no more than they usual level of complaint on that score, and it seems to do what it claims it will pretty well.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
PHugger
Connoisseur
PHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipsePHugger can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle 3G, Sony PRS-505
I'm a relatively new Sony 505 user and I think it's pretty close to being a perfect reader. Two things bug me:
  • The next page button needs to be larger and easier to find without looking
  • Stepping through the menus (TOCs) is *very* slow
Sony has the styling down. It's very good looking and by comparison the Kindle looks clunky and cheaper. The Kindle crossed a very important line IMHO. They decided to go past the basic reader functions step part way into the tablet PC market. I not surprised that the Kindle seems to have a much larger appeal to Mac users. They are used to accepting and being happy with the offerings of a locked down monopoly - hardware, OS, content, and store (no flames, I use Macs). The search features temp me, but they cross the line from a pure reader. Having WAN access does nothing for me. I have access to PCs and can easily add content when needed - I have no need for instant, wireless downloads. I'm a bit of a gadget nut and these Kindle extras all duplicate functions I already have and carry with me. I really hope that Amazon decides to make their eBooks available in other formats or that other bookstores/publishers get their acts together soon. I really hope the Kindle does well. We all benefit from the competition and Amazon's encouragement to publish in electronic formats is another win for all of us. I'm glad there is a new kid on the block, but I have no envy...... (c8

PCH

Last edited by PHugger; 11-26-2007 at 05:23 PM.
PHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Overpriced reader. Overpriced DRMed eBooks.Fees up the wazoo to use the wireless (when you are in an area where it works). The DRM restrictions are even higher than for other devices. I hope everyone who pays money to rent eBooks from Amazon remembers the customers who got screwed over by their Unbox service.

Unless something changes, I'm avoiding this piece of junk like the plague.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Fees up the wazoo to use the wireless (when you are in an area where it works).
Not so far, there aren't, it remains to be seen how that will shake out eventually.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use the number buttons for menu navigation. Much faster than cursor buttons.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Overpriced reader. Overpriced DRMed eBooks.Fees up the wazoo to use the wireless (when you are in an area where it works). The DRM restrictions are even higher than for other devices. I hope everyone who pays money to rent eBooks from Amazon remembers the customers who got screwed over by their Unbox service.

Unless something changes, I'm avoiding this piece of junk like the plague.
Well said!!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHugger View Post
...I not surprised that the Kindle seems to have a much larger appeal to Mac users. They are used to accepting and being happy with the offerings of a locked down monopoly - hardware, OS, content, and store (no flames, I use Macs)....
Dude, I'm not flaming, but we accept "the offerings of a locked down monopoly - hardware, OS, content, and store" as opposed to um, Microsoft?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
tsgreer

Quote:
...Overpriced DRMed eBooks....
But aren't the Sony Reader DRM books more expensive than Amazon's DRM books?