Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
txt to mobi how to

I want to convert this public document in MOBI format:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...um_edition.txt

How can I achieve this without loosing all of the formatting? This is a simple txt file.
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by codrutoctavian View Post
I want to convert this public document in MOBI format:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/dosw...um_edition.txt

How can I achieve this without loosing all of the formatting? This is a simple txt file.
Site prohibits Links

Look at the file
then read each balloon help for text conversion detection (as a alternate to letting Auto just guess. Set each section based upon what you saw.
Keep you original.
Try different settings to see what works better
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Sorry for the link, I was just thinking that it is the best to show an example. The file is public.

Well, I have tried all of the options. Finally I have installed a trial version of Nisus Writer Pro on my Mac and from here I have exported as epub. This worked well and it is shown nice in Calibre, however when converting from epub -> mobi in Calibre the formatting is lost
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for the link, I was just thinking that it is the best to show an example. The file is public.

Well, I have tried all of the options. Finally I have installed a trial version of Nisus Writer Pro on my Mac and from here I have exported as epub. This worked well and it is shown nice in Calibre, however when converting from epub -> mobi in Calibre the formatting is lost
Mobi is a old (3.2 HTML based), lame format that can not do a lot of what EPUB does.
Wander on down to the Mobi section and read a few stickies. You might glean what you were trying to do that Mobi thumbs its nose at. Margins, for one.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

This is a plain text document. I think it is a matter of font used. The original txt file is using Monaco 10 (on my Mac). Is there any way to force the use of a certain font and size in the Calibre conversion?

Thanks
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
This is a plain text document. I think it is a matter of font used. The original txt file is using Monaco 10 (on my Mac). Is there any way to force the use of a certain font and size in the Calibre conversion?

Thanks
Remember, the font chosen needs to be embedded or on your reading device.
Calibre does not embed fonts.
Use of an 'Extra CSS' might do the trick if the font is available on your device.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Okay, I DID IT! Thank you "theducks"

TXT -> MOBI

I used the following settings:

Look & Feel -> Extra CSS: p{font-family:monospace;}
Structure Detection -> Detect chapters (XPath expression): blank
Structure Detection -> Insert page breaks before (XPath expression): blank
TXT Input -> Paragraph style: off
TXT Input -> Formatting style: plain
TXT Input -> Preserve spaces

And it worked The output looks like the original text file.

A lot of trial and error but it was very useful for learning what Calibre can do.

Thank You!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Well, it looks nice in the viewer but on Kindle the rows are too long to be displayed properly. This is not however something which can be addressed in Calibre. It looks better if I rotate the screen orientation.