Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Does the Kindle app sync place between iPhone/iPad on NON-store bought books?

Emphasis being on ebooks not bought from the store.

I know it syncs places between store purchases. Just wondered if it does the same on my own added ebooks. I know it didn't use too, but there's some mention of syncing of documents in the literature, wondered what it meant.

EDIT: Ignore this, it doesn't I've just discovered. Pity, I want an ebook reading app that syncs between iPhone and iPad, but iBooks is just woeful on the iPhone imo. So much screen wasted to unneeded frippery.

Last edited by yegon; 01-01-2012 at 08:09 AM.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
People have done with with Calibre... I havent done it personally though since I only read on my iPad...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Yes, it does.

I just sent a book that I did NOT purchase from Amazon to my iPad. I sent it as a mobi file (I converted it from an epub using Calibre) to my iPad's kindle address ([myipad'sname]@free.kindle.com). I sent it to the "free" part so's to ensure it went WiFi; as in, ensure I paid no fee...

After a bit, the book showed up in the iPad's Kindle app and I was able to open it, no troubles. The neat part is, sending the file to the iPad automatically stores it in your Kindle/Amazon Archive. This meant I was able to launch the Kindle app on my iPhone and access the book from the regular Archive.

And when I accessed it from the phone, it went to the last place I was. So, I went ahead two chapters on the iPhone. Then, I closed out the iPhone Kindle app and went back to the iPad. When I opened the Kindle app, it asked me if I wished to go to the last synced place in the book. I said yes, and I was right where I left off on my iPhone.

So, yes, you can now sync books you did not purchase via Amazon's whispersync method. And it's automatic. Now, I actually prefer to read my books with my e-ink reader, for long sessions, but I really do like this idea of syncing between devices.

Oh, dear. Does this mean it's time to think about buying a Kindle - so I can easily switch between three devices?

:Shakes fist: Darn you, Amazon!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
ToySldr
ToySldr began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Kindle App
I just did what you mentioned as in emailing the book to myself. What about the author information? It ended up using my name as the author. Not a big deal, just wondering if there is a way so it will show up with the actual book's author.
ToySldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySldr View Post
I just did what you mentioned as in emailing the book to myself. What about the author information? It ended up using my name as the author. Not a big deal, just wondering if there is a way so it will show up with the actual book's author.
I am not sure about changing the author with the e-mail feature - mainly because I've moved over to Amazon's newest convenience feature of getting non-Amazon books to your Archive: "Send to Kindle for PC." Obviously, it's for Windows users.

With it, you can right-click on the ebook and select "Send to Kindle" in the pop-up. Another pop-up will appear, where you have the option/ability to change the title and author of the book you are sending.

Sorry about the e-mail, but if you have a PC, I highly recommend this way. Very fast, convenient and works like a charm.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Worth noting the desktop versions of Kindle do not yet support syncing with non store books.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+iphone&page=4

I have been reading Non Amazon books for months across Kindle 3, iPad2 and iPhone 4 thanks to the very generous folks here on MobileRead.

I am not emailing the books to my Kindle apps on the iPad or iPhone, instead placing the books in a very specific location that allows for syncing.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Yyzguy
Yyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPad
Chilady1: The link you posted doesn't work. Could you please post it again? Thanks.
Yyzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
greenwar
greenwar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
I have honestly been looking for this info forever. Google searches would always come up with an old commandline method from 2008 that I could never get working. Not sure why I couldn't find it...

I've been using Calibre for over a year, mostly infrequently to read books on my laptop while commuting. It'll be nice to sync some O'Reilly books between reading on the Kindle and iPhone. It was like having two separate books. I can confirm that Calibre from a Mac and send/email the book to a device/Kindle works with syncing between Kindle and iPhone's Kindle App. I also can confirm that it does not sync with the OSX Kindle for Mac app.

Thank y'all. Hopefully this thread will make its way up the SEO, so others won't look at 4yr old methods.
greenwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I think you may need to use Calibre to download the Amazon ID number in Edit Metadata.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you use the Personal Documents service, it will sync, back up highlights/notes, etc. No need to edit ASINs with calibre, etc. It does not appear that you need to have a Kindle registered to your account to use it, or at least such a restriction is not mentioned here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200767340

PDS does not support KF8 currently.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Yeah, it's no longer the case that Whispersync only works on things bought from Amazon.

It would be less confusing if Amazon didn't call books from other sources "personal documents."

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200767340

IIRC, all you have to do is e-mail the document to your Kindle and it's done automatically. But I may be wrong.

Last edited by Andrew H.; 08-18-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Moar
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Just to be clear, the personal documents feature does not sync highlights or notes with either the kindle.amazon.com website or the Kindle for PC/Mac app.

If anyone knows of a way to export notes and highlights from non-Amazon books read with the iOS Kindle app, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyzguy View Post
Chilady1: The link you posted doesn't work. Could you please post it again? Thanks.
Try https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123500
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
If one doesn't have an actual Kindle device, just an iPhone with a possible iPad in the future, how would you get a Kindle email address to send the books, too?
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote