Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
It was a known problem for the 3rd generation Kindle (the one prior to the Touch) when it was first released. When standing outside, in sunlight, the fading would occur within a matter of minutes even if the actual air temperature was not particularly high. In that case, the sunlight was the issue. As I mentioned, it was remedied with a firmware update so I would not expect to see it again with any Kindle.
Back then (3rd Gen Kindle) there were some Vizplex eInk screens made by LG that faded in the sun. It affected more then just Amazon. It also affected Sony and others. The only way to get it fixed was to keep trying different units until you got one that didn't use an LG made screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Back then (3rd Gen Kindle) there were some Vizplex eInk screens made by LG that faded in the sun. It affected more then just Amazon. It also affected Sony and others. The only way to get it fixed was to keep trying different units until you got one that didn't use an LG made screen.
Perhaps, but replacement was not necessary with the Kindle. A firmware update (the first week of release) was all that was required to solve the problem. I know firsthand because I had one.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
bongorash
Enthusiast
bongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy bluebongorash can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura 1, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
New owner of Kobo Glo here, had it just over a month and whilst on holiday in Tenerife last week noticed this thin line whilst in the sun - not on every page just every few pages - noticed if I went back to a page that had the line on it sometimes disappeared. At first thought it was a problem with the epub but seemed to happen on all books. Back in the UK and no sign of the line so assume it might be a overheat issue ?
bongorash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #19
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongorash View Post
New owner of Kobo Glo here, had it just over a month and whilst on holiday in Tenerife last week noticed this thin line whilst in the sun - not on every page just every few pages - noticed if I went back to a page that had the line on it sometimes disappeared. At first thought it was a problem with the epub but seemed to happen on all books. Back in the UK and no sign of the line so assume it might be a overheat issue ?
It shouldn't happen.
I had a ereader with a SiPix screen and that screen was a lot worse than the pictures shown in this thread. When the temperature of that SiPix screen was 35° C or higher the screen slowly faded to black/dark grey and looked like a badly photocopied page. The page became unreadable.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Weird. Wife and I both have Kobo Glos that we used on a beach in Thailand for a month earlier this year. Extremely hot and humid and had no issues whatsoever.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninTech View Post
Weird. Wife and I both have Kobo Glos that we used on a beach in Thailand for a month earlier this year. Extremely hot and humid and had no issues whatsoever.
How often do you have the page refresh set to? If you refresh every few pages, you won't see the lines on the screen.

If you try to extend battery life (like many of use) and push the refresh beyond what Kobo allows (1-6), that's when the dark lines will start forming.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
How often do you have the page refresh set to?
Every 6 pages. We were there for 4 weeks and had no battery issues with a fair bit of reading. No wifi or SD and light on lowest level.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's why you don't see the dark lines start to form. It takes quite a few page turns for me to start having them appear on my reader in the sun, without actually counting, I'd guess in excess of 10.

Some of us have manually set refresh to anywhere between 50-100 pages. It seems to be a heat issue causing it, but refreshing the screen clears it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That's why you don't see the dark lines start to form. It takes quite a few page turns for me to start having them appear on my reader in the sun, without actually counting, I'd guess in excess of 10.

Some of us have manually set refresh to anywhere between 50-100 pages. It seems to be a heat issue causing it, but refreshing the screen clears it.
I have my screen refresh set to 6, and I've seen the stripes.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
itsmir
Enthusiast
itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.itsmir 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yesterday I was using my Glo in bright sunlight (in temps around 27c) and a couple of hours later a faint vertical line appeared exactly half way across the screen. It was virtually invisible when reading without the light but jumped out of the screen with the light on or when refreshing. It was also very visible on the homepage, slashing the tiles.

No matter how often I refreshed the line wouldn't shift. I was pretty upset as I love my 3 month old Glo & wasn't looking forward to the hassle of trying for an exchange (I'm based in the Netherlands).

After reading this thread about the lines being caused by heat, I popped my Glo in the fridge for 20 minutes or so just to see what would happen. When I retrieved it the line was gone - completely gone!

I'm going on holiday tomorrow & the Glo is likely to experience more high temps. It will be interesting to see if the line re-appears. But for now I'm a happy-bunny.
itsmir is offline   Reply With Quote