Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Sync Last Page between Kindle/iPad/iPhone

As I understand it, Whispersync is now possible between a Kindle (in my case Kindle 4) and the various iOS apps.

Amazon has assigned a unique email address to each device. I have some books in Calibre, converted to mobi. I tried creating 3 emails, one per device, with the same book as an attachment. Whispersync didn't work.

I then tried a single email, with 3 recipients (my Kindle address, iPad address, iPhone address), with the same book as an attachment. After a good few tests, Whispersync was clearly working - go to a page on K4, press Home, immediately try book on iPhone 4, told me latest page read was on K4. Progress a few pages on iPhone, close book, open it on iPad, told me last read page was on iPhone 4. Read a few pages on iPad, close book, go back to K4, told me last page read was iPad. Perfect.

Well, perfect except one thing - a few days later I was reading the same book on iPhone, and noticed the sync button WITHIN the book (not the one at the Kindle app main page) was greyed out. I closed the book, then checked it on the K4, and it HADN'T picked up the last page read as being the iPhone. Done some more testing, same tests as before, definitely not working - neither the iPhone 4, iPad 2 or K4 are syncing the last page. Remember, it's the SAME book, I haven't re-emailed it or anything, it's the same file that WAS working a few days ago.

I deleted the book and re-converted it to mobi in Calibre, then did the single email/3 recipients thing again - this time, still not working, except for once; just once, flicking forward some pages, my K4 came up saying the last page was iPad 2. Tried again, a few pages more, no luck.

There is definitely not a connection issue, I have a solid internet connection, and anyway, I tried it on more than 1 wireless network.

It's seems to be simply "flaky", or I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

My next test is to email it ONLY to the K4, then use Amazon's Manage My Kindle page and use "Deliver to…" to send it to my iPad and iPhone, see if that works.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

UPDATE: just tried the test above - sent to my K4, used the site to "Deliver To" my iPad 2, opened the book on my K4, went to Chapter 2, closed book, opened on my iPad 2, and this time the sync button is enabled. Pressed it, and sure enough, it says last page read is from the K4. I'm loathe to say "problem solved", since I had it working before too, then it stopped.

Last edited by gers1978; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 AM.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
pachobv
pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindlePaperwhite
How did you managed to get the books in all of your devices? I just converted an epub with calibre, then send to my user@kindle.com account, but i only get the book on my kindle paperwhite, not in my other devices (ipod, windows phone, and mac)
pachobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Different email addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachobv View Post
How did you managed to get the books in all of your devices? I just converted an epub with calibre, then send to my user@kindle.com account, but i only get the book on my kindle paperwhite, not in my other devices (ipod, windows phone, and mac)
Each device and app has a slightly different email address. Go to the Manage Your Kindle Page on Amazon and copy and paste all those addresses into the CC box in your email with the eBook.

Then all will receive it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
saki
saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, Pixel 7a
When you email a book to one device the book is added to your archive. You can then go to another device, start Kindle or the Kindle app and search your archive or cloud (depending on your device) and download the book. The book will be synced between devices as you read it. I'm doing this with the same book on four device that I originally mailed just to my Kindle.
saki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
I got my Kindle PPW this week. As I was using a DX I couldn't use the sync feature for third party books between it, my iPad and iPhone.

But since getting the PPW I've semi-retired the DX. As it's a WIFI model there's no Whispernet involvement.

I experimented with Calibre by sending a particular book to the PPW, the ipad and the iPhone. What happened was there ended up being 3 copies of the same book in the Amazon "cloud".

So, I did what one of the posters above did - send it to one address, typically the one for the PPW. Once in the cloud, I opened the iOS Kindle apps, tapped on "Cloud", found the book and downloaded it to each device.

I've tested the last read pointers on each device and it updates to all of the others.

I only wish that the DX had WIFI so it could use this service.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
In addition to emailing, there is a mini Amazon program/application (guess you'd call it that) where you can "Send to Kindle" from your PC or Mac. There is a check box in the pop-up you get and so you can choose to have the item added to your Archive.

I've used it successfully to send an e-book to my various devices and apps, then have had no trouble using other devices/apps to access the Archive and get that particular book. The Whispersync function works for this method. Note that the "Send to Kindle" doesn't only mean the actual Kindle; I've sent to my Kindle app on my iPhone. Then, later, after downloading it to my actual Kindle, again, the Whispersync is right there.

Just another way to get books back and forth - and have them 'sync-able."

Now I see there is also a "Send to Kindle" for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers. Gonna have to check that out...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Marilyn.

When you used that "send to Kindle" app from your PC, presumably it's the one that's acccessed from Windows Explorer, did it also send the cover information?

I used the email function from Outlook to send a book to the cloud. I found a book, but I renamed it before sending it. The cover wasn't sent with the book. I'm not sure how all that works.

I ended up using Calibre as it seems to work better insofar as cover information goes. Plus, I can scan the database to see which books I want to send to device, particularly if they are in a series and I don't know which ones come first.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
pachobv
pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pachobv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki View Post
When you email a book to one device the book is added to your archive. You can then go to another device, start Kindle or the Kindle app and search your archive or cloud (depending on your device) and download the book. The book will be synced between devices as you read it. I'm doing this with the same book on four device that I originally mailed just to my Kindle.
I have it on my Kindle Library, and on my kindle PW, but i cant see it in the other apps...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
pachobv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Each device and app has a slightly different email address. Go to the Manage Your Kindle Page on Amazon and copy and paste all those addresses into the CC box in your email with the eBook.

Then all will receive it.
Where can i see the other "addresses"? I go to Manage My Kindle and i only see my name@kindle.com address
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
pachobv

This just get weird, i get the books on my kindle PW and my iPod touch app, but not in my mac app or windows phone app... please help!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Manage Your Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachobv View Post
Where can i see the other "addresses"? I go to Manage My Kindle and i only see my name@kindle.com address
Go to Amazon \ Your Account \ Manage Your Kindle \ Manage Your Devices.

All of the devices will show there each with their own unique email address. Registered Kindle Apps will also show there without an email address. Those Apps can access eBooks in the Cloud for downloading.

If you do not register an App or a Device, it will not show there and will not be able to download eBooks in the Amazon Cloud. You must have Synchronizatipn On at that site as well and have WiFi On for the devices and Apps when you want to download the eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-14-2013 at 10:26 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Whispersync should not depend on whether the DX is wi-fi or 3G (which it is). It should still work just fine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
mjt57
Connoisseur

The DX doesn't sync between ebooks which have been emailed to the cloud. Well, mine doesn't. It only syncs between books purchased through Amazon.

Also, emailing books to the DX costs about a dollar a book. It's the only drawback of that ebook reader - not having wifi.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
mjt57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
When I did this I received three copies of the same book (sent to Kindle PPW, iPad and iPhone) in the cloud.

Now I just send it to the K PPW's email address. It becomes available in the cloud for all registered devices except for the Kindle DX

Oh, and when I look at "Archived Items" on the Kindle DX the only books that are displayed are the purchased ones. None of the uploaded ones are available.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Hi Marilyn.

When you used that "send to Kindle" app from your PC, presumably it's the one that's acccessed from Windows Explorer, did it also send the cover information?

I used the email function from Outlook to send a book to the cloud. I found a book, but I renamed it before sending it. The cover wasn't sent with the book. I'm not sure how all that works.

I ended up using Calibre as it seems to work better insofar as cover information goes. Plus, I can scan the database to see which books I want to send to device, particularly if they are in a series and I don't know which ones come first.
Sorry for the delay in answering - I missed the question.

Yes, when I send an e-book to the Kindle using the Windows program, I get the cover, also. What I do is put the book on my desktop from Calibre (using the "save single format to disk" line). On my desktop, I get a folder that contains a .jpg of the cover, the .mobi book and a .opf file (which I assume is Calibre doing something). I only sent the .mobi to the Kindle, but the picture is included.

I can only assume the picture goes with the book if it's in the metadata? Taking a guess, cause I don't know how it works.

Regardless, hope this helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote