Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailee View Post
but where is that "Over 1M"??
i don't want to read classics, i want to read for example books for teens
hailee, are you serious? 1.8 million books is more than 1M!

To get a list of the free books for teens, follow the directions given for listing all free books, then, select Kids & Teens from the Refine Your Search: list on the left side of the page and, finally, reselect Free Only from the Filter:. A list containing 1,180 books should be returned.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
hailee
hailee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
hmm..
i found it
so... many thanks

Last edited by hailee; 01-02-2012 at 07:09 PM.
hailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Kobo can only offer free books when the author authorizes them to, or if they are in the public domain.

That being said, here's some suggestions to get free books for teens:

Goto www.kobobooks.com.
Leave the search field in the top right hand corner blank, then click go.
Under refine your search (left hand side) click "kids and teens".
If you want to refine it by language, click a language (e.g. english).
If you want to read fiction (or non-fiction), click it (e.g. fiction).
Under filter, select free.
It gives over 1000 results using the above examples.

I also did sort by rating to put shove the trashy stuff towards the end.

It would be nice if you could filter by publication date (if you really don't like the classics) and if you could just choose teens, but I guess that's a future project for Kobo. Oh, if you really don't want classics, ignore anything with the word Gutenberg under the rating since most of those books will be classics.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
hailee
hailee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I do like classics, but i had already nearly everything at school so i don't need to read them second time.
Problem is that when i want to read in English i have to choose book for teens, because they are quite easy to read.
I am originally from Poland, i can't speak English well and i just started to read in your language, so it takes some time to improve my language. Anyway- i am trying

Or maybe you know some interesting books for free- not for kids or teens (i am 24)
but which they are good to read by beginners? like romance, mistery, etc.
hailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Readers Digest at target and grocery store checkout counters might help improve your English reading skill with it's short stories. I've been told they helped by others in your situation. Digital editions are available but not for Kobo.

http://www.rd.com/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi hailee, I don't know if you like the genre in general, but in my "early english reading days" I read many books by Stephen King, he is quite easy to read, his english is not very elaborate. If you prefer Fantasy over Horror there are some he wrote like the Dark Tower--Series.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
Personally I started with Agatha Christie books when I was 16 years old.
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #23
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Haven is a great free book. I forget the author.... It's sort of sci-fi adventure but I don't remember the language being too difficult to read.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
These are the (now) 188593 pages of free ebooks (1885930 books) at Kobo: http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...none&g=both&l=

----2012-02-06 ----
Pages became 188846 (so 1888460 books) on 2012-02-06 ...

Last edited by Geco; 02-06-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Page number increased...
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Talking about Kindle, a trick I tried was to look through the Kindle list of free books, find some you like then look for same ones on Kobo.

Since some authors have one of their book for free, you quite often find it free on both formats.

This seems to happen quite a lot with the first book in a series, and some of them, I find are, very good reading.

As has been said before on this post, it's annoying that Kobo seems to want to hide these !
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
jennontheisland
jennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
Is there any way to filter the books for full length ones only? I've yet to find a whole book for free on there. Most are the first few chapters only. That's hardly a free "book".
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
Is there any way to filter the books for full length ones only? I've yet to find a whole book for free on there. Most are the first few chapters only. That's hardly a free "book".
More generally, it should be mandatory for book sites to indicate the length of a book - especially for the non-free ones. If they can't manage to indicate words, lines, or pages, then at least a file size (although that can be misleading due to graphics).
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #28
jennontheisland
jennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-booksjennontheisland has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
More generally, it should be mandatory for book sites to indicate the length of a book - especially for the non-free ones. If they can't manage to indicate words, lines, or pages, then at least a file size (although that can be misleading due to graphics).
Agreed. Also, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a preview section in Kobo. There's no way to read the first few pages to see if the writing is any good, which is particularly necessary for self-published works.

Or am I just missing it?
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennontheisland View Post
Agreed. Also, I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a preview section in Kobo. There's no way to read the first few pages to see if the writing is any good, which is particularly necessary for self-published works.

Or am I just missing it?
You can get previews but you can't read them on line as you can with Amazon. You have to download them and read them in desktop or on your device. You can find the preview button just below the buy button on the page with additional information (click on the title you are interested in and you are taken to a page withe a summary and reviews, etc.) Should exist for the self-published stuff too but I have no experience with self-published stuff.

Also, I agree with jusmee. Lately, though I have noticed some titles will indicate if the work is a short story in the little info blurb beside the cover thumbnail.

Last edited by llcj; 12-28-2012 at 07:05 PM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I agree. If kobobooks.com would put useful information up, this would help me out tremendously. Information to indicate book length is one of the reasons I go to Goodreads.com (initial research) when looking/browsing to buy books.

<slightly off topic> I don't download many free books, so this is mainly about buying ebooks. There's not enough useful information when hovering over those round i (information) icons on the webstore. For example, sometimes the only information that pops up is that the book in question has a free preview of another book by the author. In order to see more I have to click on the book link. That totally defeats the purpose of hovering over that info icon. That's just the one big pet peeve off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more examples of non-relevant information provided by the webstore, but I don't want to go there right now.</ off topic>
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote