Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
acoppin
acoppin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo
Light too bright on minimum

I have just replaced my Touch with a Glo and find excellent in most respects. My only complaint to date is that, even on minimum, the light is too bright for reading in a dark room.
I have seen this criticism from other users also.
Please Kobo change the range of control so that it will go much dimmer on minimum.
This should also bring the benefit of longer battery life.
acoppin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I also have heard this complaint from a few. I don't really understand it because less bright than the minimum would feel too little. I just worry that if they change this that the maximum won't be available anymore.
Not that I use the maximum, but I have found my marks as the device is now and I don't feel like seeing it change.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Although the dimmest setting is dim enough for me, I don't see why it would be a problem to change (assuming this is even possible in firmware and not a hardware thing).

Also, even if it affected the brightest setting, it is SO bright that I don't think it would cause anyone much of a problem - unless there are any people with limited vision who find the brightest setting useful..?
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The brightest grade is very useful as a torch or flashlight when you're looking for something like your keys or whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
Although the dimmest setting is dim enough for me, I don't see why it would be a problem to change (assuming this is even possible in firmware and not a hardware thing).

Also, even if it affected the brightest setting, it is SO bright that I don't think it would cause anyone much of a problem - unless there are any people with limited vision who find the brightest setting useful..?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
The dimmest setting is actually too dim for me in a dark car or bedroom and the brightest too bright, so I wonder if yours is off a bit? I read of this also before purchasing my Glo and the salesman in the bookshop let me take the Glo into a dark supply closet to check the illumination. It seemed fine so I bought it and am so glad I did. I've had no problems with any feature or operation.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
pca
pca began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Maybe there's a minimum level below which even lighting may not be as effective in the light guide layer
pca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Quexos
Member Retired

Good point
Also to those who wish for a dimmer setting than available why don't you try reading for 5 minutes with a brighter setting so your eyes get kind of used to it, then move back to the dimmest setting. It should then feel quite dim and not too bright anymore you know, by contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pca View Post
Maybe there's a minimum level below which even lighting may not be as effective in the light guide layer
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
I think it has more to do with people's individual sensitivity to light. I know I'm more sensitive to light than some people and I definitely find the dimmest setting too bright in a totally dark room. So people who think we're crazy to want it dimmer...we're not

Also another reason I find it too bright, is the reason I wanted the built in light was for reading when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep. The dimmer the light, the less it "wakes you up"... so easier to get back to sleep...which is the point of reading in that situation. Think of us poor insomniacs
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I agree about taking time to get used to the light. When I first wake up and start reading, it seems too bright, just as my eyes can't stay open with an ipad's brightness after I wake up. But after a while it seems fine to me, but people seem to have their own sensitivities to the glow screens--some hate blotchiness in the Paperwhites and felt misled by Amazon perfect screens in their ads, some can't stand seeing the LED light stream in the Nook Glow, some think the Glo is too bright or purplish. I'm sure the technology will continue to advance, just as it did in tablets and regular e-ink readers.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
acoppin

If it was the correct brightness you wouldn't have to get used to it.
I am also talking about using it in a totally dark room.
I have been using a Kobo Touch with a small clip on light for some time and, although that was not quite bright enough it was a lot more restful on the eyes. I chose the eInk screen devices as I didn't want a bright screen as on the colour devices available.
Having said all that I do find it less objectionable now than when I first got it. It is not a case of advancing technologies I am sure it is a simple case of a tweak in the software to give a wider range, leaving the brightest setting as it is but allowing it to go dimmer.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
acoppin

I just came across this:-
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194786

Tags
kobo glo light bright