Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Introducing the Digibook ADB-106

One of MR's inquisitive members just pointed me at a new ebook reader from Netherlands based Ambiance Technologies. Other than a PDF flyer, we don't have much information yet. But we do know it's currently for sale at Expansys for £230.

Here are the important details:
  • 6" epaper screen w/ 16 gray level
  • SD card slot
  • broad format support (appears to be running FBReader)
  • MP3 support
  • 8 languages supported
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b192168.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	40697  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf at-digibook.pdf (1.06 MB, 977 views)

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-04-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Touchscreen?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Doubt it
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
rhmorrison
Connoisseur
rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.rhmorrison is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3 (WLAN) & hp Jornada 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Touchscreen?
Too many buttons for a touch screen unit.
rhmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Won't be touchscreen with those buttons down the side.
It's got a WiFi icon though.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
It looks neat. Also, pic nr 5 on the web site indicates replaceable battery.
I look forward to seeing more specs on this thing (supported DRMs, reflowable PDF, screen glare, page flip speed, etc.etc).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
It looks neat. Also, pic nr 5 on the web site indicates replaceable battery.
I look forward to seeing more specs on this thing (supported DRMs, reflowable PDF, screen glare, page flip speed, etc.etc).
As far as I know, every product here (with some exceptions) need to have a user replacable battery...

(exceptions: medical products, children's toys and devices which will lose data if you remove the battery)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
As far as I know, every product here (with some exceptions) need to have a user replacable battery...

(exceptions: medical products, children's toys and devices which will lose data if you remove the battery)

That's the new EU policy, right? I think it's a great idea, and I only wish it was imposed a bit sooner. I'm stuck with my 3 year old Iliad and a battery that lasts about 3 hours
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
That's the new EU policy, right? I think it's a great idea, and I only wish it was imposed a bit sooner. I'm stuck with my 3 year old Iliad and a battery that lasts about 3 hours
Yep. And a good thing too!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
It has been in the wiki for a while now under OAXIS
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Yes this is the Oaxis reader. I had tracked it down some time ago as being a product of Gajah International. I hadn't found anyone beyond them. I thought perhaps Oaxis was the company behind the design for Gajah.

I never saw Ambiance Technology in my search. First I have heard of them.

I am actually waiting for a sample as the sales person from Oaxis contacted me again a week ago and said they were going to be ready in the next week. Id find it hard to believe you could purchase one if samples are only just being made ready..

Oaxis does have wifi and they are saying the y have a way to distribute newspapers tot eh devices via the wifi. Gajah has distribution channels for music so it may be just an extension of that system and of course there's considerable doubt that they would be able to roll out distribution in all markets etc.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That's what I thought too, but then Sony do a European launch of the PRS-600, which doesn't have a user-replaceable battery.

Perhaps it only applies to products manufacturered in the EU, rather than sold here?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
menudoBandit
Rube
menudoBandit doesn't littermenudoBandit doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, iPhone
The format support alone is impressive; I don't recall seeing too many decent readers launching these days with both mobi and ePub support - although this doesn't specify if it will support both DRM versions does it? I mean just because it states it will support PDF, MOBI, EPUB does not mean it will support DRM-ed iterations.

I think my Kindle2 is a bit on the ugly side when compared to the clean lines of a Nook - or even this beauty - however sans touchscreen I don't see myself getting by without some sort of keyboard.
menudoBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's actually a nice looking unit. Fairly modern nook-ish design. What's £230 in US currency these days, $380?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The US price is anticipated to be $299
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote