Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's your opinion. I'm really happy with mine.
Actually, it's your opinion as you wrote the article.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But this device is going to be using the same poor ePub add. So given that it's a poor ePub app, I'd say don't bother. Not worth it.
Open Android offers a multitude of ebook reading apps. So I don't know what you mean. Are you saying that all Android ebook reading apps are poor? For example, Coolreader, Alreader, Moonreader, Montano, and the list goes on...

Quote:
I can't locate a comment in the article that states any ebook reading app on the device is poor. Could you point to the part you're referencing?

Last edited by Rizla; 01-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #33
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Quote:
Nate has mentioned a couple of times in this very thread that since reverting to previous firmware, everything works a lot better, including ePub. He has not updated his review, which confused me as well.
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Nate has mentioned a couple of times in this very thread that since reverting to previous firmware, everything works a lot better, including ePub. He has not updated his review, which confused me as well.
But chances are that if you buy a new device, you'll get the new firmware or the user will update the firmware. So either way, you'll get the new firmware and be disappointed.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I can't locate a comment in the article that states any ebook reading app on the device is poor. Could you point to the part you're referencing?
Take a look at post 19 in this thread. The quote is direct from the article linked.
Advert
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #36
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Take a look at post 19 in this thread. The quote is direct from the article linked.
Your comment that I cited referred to the Boox i86 8″ (see post #26) which is made by Onyx, is open Android and is not even out yet. Whereas your post #19 that you mention above refers to the Pocketbook InkPad, which is made by Pocketbook, is not open Android and is unrelated to your post #26, which is what I commented on. I think your getting your posts and e-readers confused.

To clarify, the Onyx Boox i86 will be open Android, and will have a plethora of reading apps available to it, many of which will work very well. This e-reader will probably suit the OP very well as it is 8" and will have a large choice of software available to read all formats, including epub and pdf.

Personally I wouldn't touch the Pocketbook InkPad because it doesn't run open Android. I prefer not to be limited to one single e-reading software when I can have many. No matter how good an e-reader's UI is, IMO it will never compete with the possibilities open to an open Android device. It think this is particularly important with a larger device, because the larger screen makes it more possible to use for other purposes, much like a tablet.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-16-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
I need to update my article, yes.

But to be clear, I liked the inkPad even with the flawed firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:19 AM   #38
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
But chances are that if you buy a new device, you'll get the new firmware or the user will update the firmware. So either way, you'll get the new firmware and be disappointed.
Maybe so, but in this case, the Inkpad was packaged up with the version 4 firmware, and you had to do an update to go to version 5. The one I bought still has the version 4 firmware. Perhaps a new production run might come with version 5, but I'm not so sure. PocketBook put a version 4 firmware download on their website due to popular demand.

My feelings are mixed about the device. The contrast and sharpness are poorer than on my older Touch Lux (with 6" screen). Perhaps the frontlight and touch layers have to be thicker on a larger screen. However, the high resolution seems to make up for it, making even thin fonts easy to read. The most annoying thing is that every once in a while the last page ghosts through very strongly, as if the flashing clear was only half done. Most of the time the ghosting is no worse than on any other e-ink device of mine. There's no way I want to give it back, so I guess I'm happy with it on the whole.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote