Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > Kindle Books (offline)

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
jeffreybreen
jeffreybreen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jeffreybreen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jeffreybreen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jeffreybreen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Eliot, Charles W. (editor): Harvard Classics 01 - 49, 51, with standardized titles

Hi:

I have run RWood's excellent collection through mobi2mobi to standardize titles and add authors to single-author volumes. (I also had to hack at mobiperl a little so it wouldn't insert "Unspecified Author" by default -- I hope that doesn't break anyone's reader...)

Single-digit volume numbers have an extra space prepending so sorting by title should should work (it does on my Kindle -- now if it only had folders...)

I hope someone finds this useful.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Last edited by jeffreybreen; 03-27-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo in title
jeffreybreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
This is wonderful! Thanks
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Thanks for these. I've just installed them on my iLiad, and get the feeling I'll be extremely educated (and probably very old!) by the time I've finished reading them

But inquiring minds want to know -- what happened to Volume 50?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
jjl123
jjl123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Gratitude!

I'm grateful that you took the time and effort to convert these and make them available to all.

My grandfather educated himself with the Harvard Classics; his volumes grace my living room shelves, and I find myself reading selections once in a while. Now I can carry them with me with the ebook reader -- not only are they useful to me, but they also resonate as a connection to my grandfather, who died 50 years ago this year!

jjl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Thanks for these. I've just installed them on my iLiad, and get the feeling I'll be extremely educated (and probably very old!) by the time I've finished reading them

But inquiring minds want to know -- what happened to Volume 50?
Volume 50 is described as an "INTRODUCTION, READER'S GUIDE, INDEXES" to all the previous 49 Volumes of the HC. RWood (original creator of this ebook series) has a PDF image for Vol. 50 that he has OCR'ed into text, but has not yet posted any completed ebook.

There is also a Volume 52 (See RWood 06-30-2007 posting in the thread Harvard Classics, Volume 52: 15 Minutes a Day Guide).

I guess we are getting closer to "closure", but not there yet!

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-11-2008 at 09:37 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
I just wanted to add my thanks for these.

May I suggest adding links to these three standardised zips to the wiki page.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Harv..._at_MobileRead

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
sander
sander began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
WOW unreal! Thank you

I just sold my sony reader on ebay after receiving my Kindle 2. I was afraid that i would be downloading one at a time to get all the harvard classics back in my electronic library.

BTW, I own a set of the easton press harvard classics, and have read most of them, but i love to be able to travel with them as well.

THANKS AGAIN
sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
eavg123
eavg123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Thanks to all of you

Thanks to all of you por this wonderful work. Now at last I will be able to read the Harvard Classics.
eavg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Having the Harvard Classics in Mobi format is very useful I think. I have a few of the books in hard cover format (found at used book stores) but didn't have anywhere near a complete set. Mobipocket allows me to have that.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
groovemonkey
dagobah. books. quiet.
groovemonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks so much for these.

I'm a few months from quitting my job and traveling indefinitely, and this is my reading project for all those train/plane/bus rides. Have any of you guys read ALL (or most) of the Harvard Classics?

What was the experience like?

I've got so many gaps in my "basic history" knowledge base right now; it's pretty sad -- I can't wait to start reading this stuff. I'll resist the urge to jump around and start at volume I, working my way down.

Any other experiences/advice with taking on the legendary "five-foot-bookshelf?"
groovemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
samwood12000
samwood12000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hello everyone
I've just logged in again after years.
happy Wednesday
samwood12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
earmstrong
earmstrong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks so much for putting these together. I've had my mother's 1906 hardcover edition for several years, but having them on my Kindle has really made them much more accessible.
earmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earmstrong View Post
Thanks so much for putting these together. I've had my mother's 1906 hardcover edition for several years, but having them on my Kindle has really made them much more accessible.
If you want them even more accessible there is a newer thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139003
I took the LRF versions of the Harvard Classics and used Calibre to convert them to Mobi format. This makes the books easier to search through by using a working TOC and I also standarized the volume numbers and titles rather than using the roman numerals. The files aren't perfect but a working TOC does help especially when two or more books are in the same volume.

Last edited by crich70; 12-27-2011 at 04:03 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote