Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Janelle12
Janelle12 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 4, stanza
disjointed text in pdf to epub conversion (calibre)

I'm using Stanza on my iphone 4 to read a book called Allies of Humanity, Book One (available for free at this link

<Removed Link>

I used Calibre to convert it to an EPub. When I read it, its okay for a while, but then it starts to mix the paragraphs. I'll get a few paragraphs normal and okay, but then it starts to give a few words of one paragraph, skips a line (blank line), then a few words from another paragraph, then the next few words from the first paragraph. It gets back to normal, then cycles through mixing paragraphs again. I can put up with a lot of inconvenience but I'm wondering if I can fix this problem. I did not see any errors in conversion and there is no info under job details in caligre. I will put a photo of the wacky paragraph fragmenting and alternation.

"The file you are trying to convert. If the file is copyrighted then create an extract/sample that shows the problem, or use the calibre bug report system to create a bug with the file attached. (LINK GIVEN)
The conversion log from calibre. You get this by clicking the rotating spinner in the bottom right of the main calibre window and using the show job details button. (IT SHOWED NOTHING)
The output file, if any. (NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS, SORRY!)
A description of what exactly the problem is. If there is an error message when converting then the full error message, which you can get by clicking the show details button on the error message.
A description of any conversion options you changed from the default (DID NOT CHANGE ANY)

"It is particularly important that you provide us with a way to reproduce your problem. That makes it much easier to answer your question. That means you provide at least the input file and a description of the problem as well as any non default conversion settings you use."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.PNG
Views:	594
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	105127  

Last edited by theducks; 04-29-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: removed link
Janelle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605

You just found an extreme case .
Now you see why we say:' Avoid PDF"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Janelle12

If you're running Calibre on Windows you could try MobiCreator to do the conversion

My experience is that Mobicreator often produces 'better results' than Calibre - without experimenting with lots of settings. It creates PRC files, not sure if Stanza can read PRC, but Calibre does a good job on converting PRC to ePUB or one of the other formats that Stanza supports.

I also just stumbled on another converter from Hampster Soft (thanks to member Dullahir). It seems to produce better results than both MobiCreator and Calibre, its simpler to use than Mobicreator, and it can create an EPUB directly.

If you install it the Hampster Soft program watch out for the Open Candy stuff, and make sure you do a custom install - otherwise you'll end up with AVG toolbars in your browsers etc etc <grhhh>

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-29-2013 at 09:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Janelle12

Thanks guys. Yes I did read the problems with pdf's document. I did download and convert using mobicreator, with the exact same outcome. So, I guess I'm not going to be reading that book on an ereader! Luckily I can read it directly from the website (I just discovered today) and not have to deal with it. Or, I could PAY (!!!) and get the official kindle version. I'm so cheap

What is the name of the Hampster Soft converter and where can I get it?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What size is the file? I strongly suspect hat is an image based PDF with some random text characters underlying it! If so it will never convert properly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle12 View Post
Thanks guys. Yes I did read the problems with pdf's document. I did download and convert using mobicreator, with the exact same outcome. So, I guess I'm not going to be reading that book on an ereader! Luckily I can read it directly from the website (I just discovered today) and not have to deal with it. Or, I could PAY (!!!) and get the official kindle version. I'm so cheap

What is the name of the Hampster Soft converter and where can I get it?
@Janelle12 oops sorry, not only is the 'p' silent, it's absent

Google for Hamster Soft - watch out for hidden extra's - do a custom install.

Oh, it needs .NET 3.5

I just had a look at the website for that book - it looks like its very straightforward text in a single font, I'm surprised mobicreator didn't to a satisfactory job - maybe they 'deliberately' crippled the PDF to make it 'unconvertible'

Silly question - have you tried reading the PDF with Stanza ?

Here's three other tricks you could try.
  1. You could open the PDF in a PDF reader (I use Trackersofts PDF xChange), and print it as a PDF via a PDF print driver (I use the one from Bullzip). Then convert the PDF that print driver created. That's worked for me a couple of times.
  2. A variant on that is to print it to a postscript file see post #6 in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=postscript
  3. If the online version presents itself as not too many pages, you could clip them from your browser into Evernote, export them out of Evernote as HTML, add the HTMLs to Calibre, convert them to ePUB and join them with ePUBMerge plug in. Why Evernote - its clipper is pretty good at sorting the wheat from the chaff.
BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Janelle12

Yes I ended up reading it on kindle. Stanza conversion would not work. My husband emailed it to the kindle email address and I read it on the actual kindle (second gen) rather than the iphone kindle app.

Boy this ereading is a LOT of work, esp. for someone who doesn't know have of what y'all are talking about!! LOL. But thanks for all your details!