Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
With Todays Kindle Announcements

Along with the library release a couple of weeks back the App Store etc. I think Amazon has gone into FULL COURT PRESS taking no prisoners, and may not let up until they completely own the market. This is a pleasant surprise to me after the Publisher Agency pricing fiasco.

You Go Amazon!

I'm now looking forward to what they will do with the 10" tablet.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Along with the library release a couple of weeks back the App Store etc. I think Amazon has gone into FULL COURT PRESS and taking no prisoners. This is a pleasant surprise to me after the Publisher Agent pricing fiasco.

You Go Amazon!

8GB and no card slot. I wanted the Fire, but lack of storage is a big problem. I'm not sure I'll get it now. Have to see what B&N comes up with.

My iPod touch was originally 8GB, but I exchanged it for the 32GB model when I realized that 8GB wasn't going to be enough. I'm currently using about 12GB.

My Nook Color is 8GB; but it has a card slot, so I don't care. I can easily add more as needed.

There are no 10" tablets in my future; unless they're $99 each, like my HP TouchPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My zune is a 120 GB Model and between music and podcasts is almost full.
I have the Nook Color and also have it rooted with a 32GB Card. I thoroughly enjoy both.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My zune is a 120 GB Model and between music and podcasts is almost full.
I have the Nook Color and also have it rooted with a 32GB Card. I thoroughly enjoy both.
Apache
I don't put music on my iPod, so 16GB would've been ample. But they don't come in that size, nor do they have card slots.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if/how and what wrt rooting of the Fire.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
kennyc

How bad do new Kindles hurt B&N Nook?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...dles-hurt-b-n/
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
i need kindle dx touch edition. though i have ipad , i prefer kindle dx for prolong reading, didn't buy DXG as i was waiting for new Dx touch version.today's announcements were disappointing as nothing new has been announced which is not available in the market.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Woola
Barsoomian
Woola began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3g, Kobo Touch
My iPod touch was originally 8GB, but I exchanged it for the 32GB model when I realized that 8GB wasn't going to be enough. I'm currently using about 12GB.

My Nook Color is 8GB; but it has a card slot, so I don't care. I can easily add more as needed. [/QUOTE]

With Amazon's Cloud technology, storage is characterized as unlimited. Not available from competitors.
Woola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
JohnMorris
Enthusiast
JohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned offJohnMorris can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS650, Kobo touch, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
8GB and no card slot.
And no epub support, and what looks like lock in to Amazon approved apps. I'll skip this one.
JohnMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Along with the library release a couple of weeks back the App Store etc. I think Amazon has gone into FULL COURT PRESS taking no prisoners, and may not let up until they completely own the market. This is a pleasant surprise to me after the Publisher Agency pricing fiasco.

You Go Amazon!

no doubt full court press , especially with the pricing on the Special Offers models. The non ads, the nook STR is priced well. I don't see anything compelling on the kindle touch side that stands out. So it'll be a wait and see if the ad supported kindles just blows all others away even the non ad supported which could cause some canniblilism. If so BN will have to seek an alternative to it. It's product can without a doubt compete but that ad supported $99 is going to be tough to match.

the nook color 2 could strike back but it will need to have a dual core processor and it'll have to pull in NetFlix, and possibly Hulu+ and Vudu. If it does that and at least brings the price down to like $225 or $215 it'll be just fine and we'll have ourselfs a nice ereader tablet war for the holiday season
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the nook color 2 could strike back but it will need to have a dual core processor and it'll have to pull in NetFlix,
they better hurry up and pull in netflix before Amazon buys it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
How bad do new Kindles hurt B&N Nook?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...dles-hurt-b-n/
kennyc,
right now Amazon Kindles rule. That is not to say that people that favor Sony won't use the Sony T which is a good machine though I can't compare the operations of it against the Kindles. Many Nook people will still stick with Nook, Kobo will be likewise, but people will slide from the other tablets to the Kindles and new people will go Kindle mainly, and heck they were already doing the best.
The only question will be how much Kindle (Fire) and the next bigger table after it, cuts into Apple. The 7" size as well as the price is a good selling point for me and many others, but those that like 10" sizes and love Apple will stay put, but it's market share will diminish. Sure the Apple is a great piece of hardware, but just as it enjoys the Apple mystique, it also is burdened down by the Apple straight jacket. Personally, I don't think it necessary for most people, at least most of the time to have a barn burner tablet. How fast do you want to turn a book or magazine page? Come on now. And when I watch movies occasionally I like at least a medium size TV to watch them on. I can feed anything I get online right over to my TVs.

I want a 7" Fire with the free limited 3G. I don't think I will buy a 9 or 10" Kindle with the free limited 3G. When I have access to a sofa to lay back with a big 10" tablet I am usually home and I will walk into my home office and belly up to my 23" ViewSonic, or fire the file over to a TV. And I am hankering after an even bigger monitor. (I do a lot of Autocad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
8GB and no card slot. I wanted the Fire, but lack of storage is a big problem. I'm not sure I'll get it now. Have to see what B&N comes up with.

My Nook Color is 8GB; but it has a card slot, so I don't care. I can easily add more as needed.

There are no 10" tablets in my future; unless they're $99 each, like my HP TouchPad.
tubemonkey,
I agree that 10" tablets aren't a great need or desire unless you can get them in a yard sale.
You are right about the memory. It was the one problem I saw today with the Amazon vision, besides the lack of 3G on the Fire. Sure cloud in the sky is a great idea, but what can you put up there. Just Amazon stuff? You can get free storage online all over the place and more storage for a few dollars, and I pay a web siting company over $100 a year for a zillion GB that is readily available to me.
But all that is for backup or emergency storage.
I like what I am running to be right with me if I am out of WiFi range or 3G is not available or slow.

Maybe the USB2 port can be used to hook up a flash drive and use that kind of storage. That would be my first choice of looking for additional storage.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMorris View Post
And no epub support, and what looks like lock in to Amazon approved apps. I'll skip this one.
There is EPUB support through apps for Kobo, Aldiko, and Mantano.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #14
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woola View Post

With Amazon's Cloud technology, storage is characterized as unlimited. Not available from competitors.[/QUOTE]

If I'm in my house I have a TV, DVD player, Laptop, HI-FI etc.

A 7" Media player really only comes in to it's own because it's portable, so unless I can find free wi-fi anywhere I go (and I can't) then the cloud is near useless to me.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
A 7" Media player really only comes in to it's own because it's portable, so unless I can find free wi-fi anywhere I go (and I can't) then the cloud is near useless to me.
That's the key - how available is wifi? With only 8GB and no way to expand storage, the Fire becomes problematic for those who frequently venture beyond the range of wifi.

As I think about it, the Fire is rapidly losing its appeal to me because of a lack of onboard storage.