Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #16186
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Trying to get some Wheel of Time reading done. I'm on book 7, A Crown of Swords, now and things are dragging. Found it the case with most of the WoT books, but normally the last 1/3 is always worth it.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #16187
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One of the better Phryne Fisher books, I really enjoyed it. But next, a bit of mindless fantasy from Mercedes Lackey, since I've had it sitting in my TBR for months
Quote:
Well, it was just as mindless as I expected. But now, the latest in the Foreigner series from C.J. Cherryh, Protector. I'm looking forward to this.
But you never told us which mindless fantasy you read; there are so many from Mercedes Lackey - I have enjoyed quite a few in each of her series.

Ah, CJ, time to go get the Intruder PB, and get on the waiting list for Protector. And maybe buy another bookcase shelf for them. Or throw out obsolete computer books... that would free up space.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #16188
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Well, it was just as mindless as I expected. But now, the latest in the Foreigner series from C.J. Cherryh, Protector. I'm looking forward to this.
Finished Cherryh's Protector, and found myself at the end of it hating the fact that I'd have to wait a year or so before I could have the next book in this series. This one definitely left me wanting more.

Next up, Campion #4, Policemen at the Funeral.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #16189
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
But you never told us which mindless fantasy you read; there are so many from Mercedes Lackey - I have enjoyed quite a few in each of her series.

Ah, CJ, time to go get the Intruder PB, and get on the waiting list for Protector. And maybe buy another bookcase shelf for them. Or throw out obsolete computer books... that would free up space.
Does it really matter? They're all much the same. In this case, it was the latest in the Valdemar series. And the title was so memorable that I don't remember it.

As for shelf space, Kindle has solved that!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #16190
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. Excellent. As if Austen/Trollope/Heyer were writing in a society of dragons. Loved it. My best book of the year so far. Very highly recommended to anyone who likes dragons and any of those authors.

Next up: Fire with Fire by Charles E. Gammon. From the April 2013 Baen Monthly Bundle.
Great. Just what I don't need - another book I really want to buy.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #16191
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. Excellent. As if Austen/Trollope/Heyer were writing in a society of dragons. Loved it. My best book of the year so far. Very highly recommended to anyone who likes dragons and any of those authors.
Thanks. I've put it on my wish list at Amazon.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #16192
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Trying to get some Wheel of Time reading done. I'm on book 7, A Crown of Swords, now and things are dragging. Found it the case with most of the WoT books, but normally the last 1/3 is always worth it.
I'm waiting until the last volume is published before I return to that series. There are so many books and so many plot threads that I just have to reread from the beginning. I don't find the various WoT websites adequate substitutes for a reread.

Currently I am reading Sister Teresa by Barbára Mujica, a historical novel about Saint Teresa of Avila. Good read so far.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #16193
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I'm waiting until the last volume is published before I return to that series.
Uh... you know the series is done and all published, right? If you're worried about the ebook version of the final volume, it comes out on Tuesday... so even if you re-read very, very quickly, you're not likely to run into any trouble.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #16194
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Uh... you know the series is done and all published, right? If you're worried about the ebook version of the final volume, it comes out on Tuesday... so even if you re-read very, very quickly, you're not likely to run into any trouble.
No, I wasn't aware that the series was actually finished as I had lost track some years ago. Thank you for informing me. The first time I read the series I averaged about a day or two for the first four, slower for later volumes, but that was more skimming than reading. I probably won't pick up the series again for some time as I have too many other books that I've paid for and still haven't gotten around to reading. Thanks again!
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #16195
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Now: The Selection by Kiera Cass
I didn't really love this book. I thought the characters were kind of fake and irritating. And it was kind of the bachelor-like. Hey, I should have known Up next: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. I want to read this book, before I watch the movie.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #16196
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
For you Zombie readers, not many of us out there...I'm reading 'WARM BODIES' by Isaac Marion. I saw the movie first at the Studio Movie Grill a couple weeks ago and decided I liked it enough to read the book. The book tends to be better than the movie and in this case it is but the movie did a good job of picking out the important stuff. I just noticed above my reply Joy736 has this book in her/his signature.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #16197
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I had started another Dan Brown book - Digital Fortress - but got a bit bored so I've moved on to Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #16198
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is a MR recommendation. Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
This was a fun book with a weak ending. Lots of references to Google real or fictional I'm not sure which. Several ereader mentions including Kobo. Writing was fairly competent with some comically geeky cliches. Your reality meter has to be on pause to complete this piece. However, the conclusion was disappointing. Somewhat expected so I was ripe for a surprise that didn't materialize. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next I'll try A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #16199
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I had started another Dan Brown book - Digital Fortress - but got a bit bored so I've moved on to Wolf Hall by Hillary Mantel.
Tell us how you get along with Wolf Hall. My mother loved this and I bought it recently when it was on special at Amazon.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #16200
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Almost done with Crown of Swords and as expected things only really start picking up in the last 200 pages or so. Will need to read something with a bit more oomph before tackling the next one.

Edit: Done. And as usual the ending hooked me again. Now to decide if I want to jump straight into the next one while I still remember everything that happened.

Last edited by Crusader; 04-09-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote