Device: none
Question

Please delete. Sorry

Last edited by laurie_lu; 05-03-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: wrong forum
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
Please delete. Sorry
Don't do it

Just kidding
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
do eet
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Go for the Nook.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Thumbs up

I am a huge fan of the nook. My nook is quite new at 1 week old or so but I have already read 5 books on it and loaded 40 books in total. Sideloading books is trivially easy and using Calibre I find that the ability to customize the tags, rating, and metadata of sideloaded content in many ways makes me prefer it.

I softrooted my nook so I have access to the nookdevs "my books" app which I find excellent. The other stuff is mostly fluff for my usage but that one app is gold.

The nooks clean interface is easy to use and quite responsive. It is open and not tied to a particular storefront. I managed to convert one of my friends from his Kindle to a nook as well.

Many people have rated the nook poorly based on software that is no longer current. With the current software (1.3 and also 1.2) almost all of the complaints are reduced to preferences rather than actual defects.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Many people have rated the nook poorly based on software that is no longer current. With the current software (1.3 and also 1.2) almost all of the complaints are reduced to preferences rather than actual defects.
So when my Nook randomly kicked me off the page I was reading and punted me back to the first page or the splash screen that was a feature, not a bug? This was firmware 1.2 and it got worse with 1.3. I guess I prefer reading a book without random reboots.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-04-2010 at 06:34 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
So when my Nook randomly kicked me off the page I was reading and punted me back to the first page or the splash screen that was a feature, not a bug? This was firmware 1.2 and it got worse with 1.3.
By your own report you have defective hardware. HW overrides software all the time. If your hardware is hosed, I don't think you can blame the software for it.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
So when my Nook randomly kicked me off the page I was reading and punted me back to the first page or the splash screen that was a feature, not a bug? This was firmware 1.2 and it got worse with 1.3. I guess I prefer reading a book without random reboots.
Take it back to the store and exchange it for a new one. They'll do it. Don't call support, as they are less flexible.

I have never had this happen when I am reading. That having been said, similar issues have happened when my Daughter is reading it. She is 14 months old, and likes the touch screen. This begs the question, do you use the touchscreen to change pages?
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You probably have a defective nook. You'll find that there are defective units among all of the different ereaders. I never experienced your problem and it's obviously not a common problem since most nook owners are not complaining about it. You should get a replacement.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This was a posting mistake, of course, (and a number of Members have already posted), so this Thread now allows all Nook users to post favorable, friendly comments about their device of choice and to talk to each other about the benefits of their favorite ebook reader.

There are many choices out there, as we all know, and the Nook is just as viable a choice as any ebook reader - and perhaps more so for those owners happily entrenched in the Nook camp.

I personally have many devices, but at some point I have to say "stop."

So post on, all owners and those thinking about owning a Nook, or for those curious about what all the talk may be about.

And remember: HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote