Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Lightbulb Setting meta data with ebook_meta.

Hi,

I set some meta data - --index --series to be precise -on a bunch of books in my library. Which works fine.

Only calibre seem to read the meta data only from it internal database so it won't notice the changes.

"Read meta data" only tries to read the meta data from some external source. No help as well.

Looks like a missing feature to me.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Even worse, if you export the file the meta data is rewritten to the content of the database.

So a simple export / re-import won't fix the problem as well.
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's the way its designed to work. calibre is not going ot rescan all the books in the library each time it runs looking for updated metadata. If you want to change the metadata in the database use the calibredb command.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
krischik
Addict

Question completey confused

Now I am confused. Since I use a script to set the meta date the logical next workaround would be: export, re-set meta data, re-import.

But this does not work. ebook-meta can not change the meta data of the exported files:

Code:
>ebook-meta --index=2355 Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2355\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.epub
Original-Metadaten::
	Title               : Perry Rhodan Nr. 2355
	Author(s)           : Pabel Moewig Verlag [Verlag, Pabel Moewig]
	Publisher           : KEP
	Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.33) [http://calibre-ebook.com]
	Tags                : Perry Rhodan, Science-Fiction
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #56
	Language            : UND
	Rating              : 8
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14

Ge?nderte Metadaten::
	Title               : Perry Rhodan Nr. 2355
	Author(s)           : Pabel Moewig Verlag [Verlag, Pabel Moewig]
	Publisher           : KEP
	Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.33) [http://calibre-ebook.com]
	Tags                : Perry Rhodan, Science-Fiction
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #56
	Language            : UND
	Rating              : 8
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
Old 01-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's the way its designed to work. calibre is not going ot rescan all the books in the library each time it runs looking for updated metadata. If you want to change the metadata in the database use the calibredb command.
I fully understand that you won't rescan all the time. Performance would be horrible, users upset. But a "Reread" menu item or button would be nice.

Anyway I have a look at calibredb to see if it helps.

Thanks

Martin
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can do it individually in the edit meta information dialog, but not globally.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
krischik
Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can do it individually in the edit meta information dialog, but not globally.
Now that you mention it I found the function. I guess a

Code:
ebook-meta --to-opf
calibredb set_metadata
will do the trick. Just need a little regex magic to extract the ID from the pathname.

Thanks for your help

Martin

Tags
ebook-meta