Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nobody really knows. The logs that the various devices accrue are full of lots of info about the books you're reading, the cell towers you were connected to while reading (if you have 3g of course), DRM status, and more. But the encrypted "phone home" packets that have been captured and sniffed over the years have been of a size that most have agreed aren't really large enough to transmit that data (even in pieces). They're basically keep-alive-ping sized. It's more likely that the logs are available to CS personnel when they obtain permission to "access" your device for trouble-shooting purposes.

I'm not trying to give them a free pass or anything, there's stuff being logged that could certainly be contrued as privacy-violating in nature. It's just that while I have no trouble believing they have the technological capability to gather the data they're logging, I've seen no evidence that it's actually being done. Make of it what you will.

This doesn't guarantee anything, but when the PW1 was first released I reported the bug where the light didn't turn off sometimes. One of their developers called me directly to ask some questions and ask for permission to pull the logs from the device. I gave him permission, and he did so. It didn't require any interaction on my part, so they definitely have the ability to pull them, but he did explicitly ask for my permission first, so it appears that at the very least they don't do it as a matter of course.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Who Cares I don't Spy away! But if they do they do a poor job with the Recomedations they send to me )
What?! The recommendations they send me are spot on, and related to something I either bought or have in my cart (my cart is always full).
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
What?! The recommendations they send me are spot on.
The ones I get are so useless, it's laughable. For example, I bought a non-fiction book about the battle of Bannockburn, so Edward II and Robert the Bruce. Because I've bought that, they saw fit to recommend.... some of the Cadfael books and also something about the inside story of Israel's secret services... I mean, really? How's that even remotely relevant?
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Same here. I get kind of annoyed at how bad the recs are.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Just tell Amazon not to use that book for recommendations. It is right there on the recommendations screen. If you see a book recommended because of that book, just click where it says "Recommended because you bought xxx. Fix this"; click on Fix this, and it will let you unrecommend books bought because of it. Easy, peasy. I had to unrecommend Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, because they kept recommending vampire books because of it, and I'm not interested in those.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
This is from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, 2012:

Quote:
It is not clear whether Amazon tracks purchases loaded on to the Kindle from other sources.
If they are tracking it, I don't see them doing anything with the information, such as complaining when people strip DRM.

There's simply no evidence I know of that Amazon is tracking side-loaded books, not even slight evidence. So there is absolutely no reason to think Amazon is spying on me.

One thing Amazon does do is keep a record of Overdrive Kindle-format library borrowing. I'm seeing titles I borrowed, in "Manage Your Content and Devices," going back to 2011. I consider this a plus, and would object to it being called spying. However, public library systems deliberately do NOT store borrowing histories, due to privacy concerns.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #22
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Just tell Amazon not to use that book for recommendations. It is right there on the recommendations screen. .
I know, or I could mark stuff as "not interested" but I can't be bothered to go through everything. Instead, I just ignore the recommendation. I find plenty of books I want to read without their help anyway!

Last edited by Yolina; 10-19-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
The ones I get are so useless, it's laughable. For example, I bought a non-fiction book about the battle of Bannockburn, so Edward II and Robert the Bruce. Because I've bought that, they saw fit to recommend.... some of the Cadfael books and also something about the inside story of Israel's secret services... I mean, really? How's that even remotely relevant?
I guess my genre is easier to recommend, in that case. I read Urban Fantasy and Dystopian.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote