Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Dictionary Installs.....where?

I just purchased a dictionary for my Cybook. I copied it to the SD card and placed it in it's own sub-folder....just to keep it out of the main list of books on the device.

When I tried to use the 'lookup' mode, it didn't work. I verified that I had used the correct PID when purchasing the dictionary.....so I thought: why not try moving it to the Cybook main memory and place it in it's eBooks folder?

Then it worked just fine.

So....can anyone explain what, if any, guidelines need to be followed when adding a dictionary to a Cybook?

-tnx,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
I just purchased a dictionary for my Cybook. I copied it to the SD card and placed it in it's own sub-folder....just to keep it out of the main list of books on the device.

When I tried to use the 'lookup' mode, it didn't work. I verified that I had used the correct PID when purchasing the dictionary.....so I thought: why not try moving it to the Cybook main memory and place it in it's eBooks folder?

Then it worked just fine.

So....can anyone explain what, if any, guidelines need to be followed when adding a dictionary to a Cybook?

-tnx,

Jeff
Jeff,

Not using a dictionary, I'm only guessing, but I'd bet that Boo Reader "expects" to find any dictionary in the \eBooks folder on the Cybook rather than on the SD card. It's probably an "inconvenience" but if that's the only type of ebook you keep on the Cybook, it might not be a problem.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Jeff,

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet that Boo Reader "expects" to find any dictionary in the \eBooks folder on the Cybook rather than on the SD card. It's probably an "inconvenience" but if that's the only type of ebook you keep on the Cybook, it might not be a problem.

Derek
I have my dictionary on a (small) SD card in \eBooks. It works great. It is the only reason I have an SD card. All my books are on the cybook

I never tried it an a subdirectory, but my guess is that JWLaRue didn't place it as a sub-sub directory under \eBooks. Normally Boo Reader can find any book in any subdirectory below \eBooks
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dictionaries work fine on the SD card but they have to be in the main "eBooks" folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've got my dictionaries on my SD card, but I've been thinking about moving them to main memory because I'd like to see if word queries will be faster there.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you do that, Julie, I'd be interested to know the outcome. My suspicion is that it won't make any noticable difference, but it would be nice to have a more quantitative result.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I tried that. I didn't notice any difference.

I ended with the dictionary on the SD card because I can live with books in the main memory and 'loosing' the SD card and dictionary. The other way around will leave me with a dictionary and no books

This saved the day when I was traveling in Asia and the SD card from my camera died. I simply cleared the one from the Cybook and placed it in the camera. The Cybook still had all the books in the main memory
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, guys......that explains it perfectly. The dictionary can be either in main memory or on the SD card...but it must be in the root /eBooks directory.

Here's another question, just out of curiosity......how does the Cybook recognize that a particular file is a dictionary?

-tnx,

Jeff
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A dictionary has a special format, described on the Mobi developer's site. I'd guess that, when the Gen3 starts up, it scans through filestore and checks to see what (if any) dictionaries are available.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
JWLaRue
Addict

Ahhh.....nifty trick.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
[/QUOTE]When I tried to use the 'lookup' mode, it didn't work. I verified that I had used the correct PID when purchasing the dictionary.....so I thought: why not try moving it to the Cybook main memory and place it in it's eBooks folder?
Then it worked just fine[QUOTE]

Like you Jeff, I had this problem and the same result.
What I'd like to know is, how do you get back to the book you're reading after looking up a word?
Seems like a silly question no doubt, but I've tried everything, including the 'back' button, 'start reading', etc, but i stay stuck in the dictionary!
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The 'back' button takes me back to the book.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you do that, Julie, I'd be interested to know the outcome. My suspicion is that it won't make any noticable difference, but it would be nice to have a more quantitative result.
I had the same thought, and moved my dictionary to main memory (all the rest of my books are on an SD card).

Though I didn't do a formal set of tests, I did not find it to make any noticeable difference in speed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I had the same thought, and moved my dictionary to main memory (all the rest of my books are on an SD card).

Though I didn't do a formal set of tests, I did not find it to make any noticeable difference in speed.
I didn't see any noticeable difference either.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #15
slussen2
Enthusiast
slussen2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've just downloaded the Cybook update and see that my problem with the 'dictionary lookup' (can't get back to the book I was reading by pressing 'back') may be related to the instruction in the ReadMe file, "5. Copy the file “update_kernel” to the root of an SD card."

I have no idea how you do this with the SD card outside the Cybook.
None of my computers has an SD card slot.
Can anyone help?
slussen2 is offline   Reply With Quote