Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #91
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Two new ereaders. I got the Nook Simple Touch and the Kindle Touch for my birthday yesterday. Both of them are used. That brings my current count to 8 ereaders altogether.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #92
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I only ever have one at a time
got my first one sony prs 350 (very good deal on a refurbished one) to see whether i would like ereaders vs books -and yep 1000 books later (990 free via kobo/kindle/smashwords) and 10 purchased i can safely say that i love them. My DH bought me a kobo touch for my birthday in september so i sold the 350
would not be without it. although i can see the sense in having 2 as i have found times when i want to read and the battery has gone flat on me!
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #93
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Not enough
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #94
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
3 Kindles, a black K4, a PW and a Fire HD..Thinking about selling the Fire though.
2 Nooks. A Nook Glowlight and an HD. The Nook Glowlight is hardly used anymore.
2 Kobos. A Glo and a Mini. I like my Kobos almost as much as my Kindles.
1 Sony PRS- T1. Hardly ever used..I loan it out sometimes.

I also have an ipad mini but don't read on that much.

** Ha, I know I have too many ereaders because I forgot that I posted on this thread already. Starting to really lose track!!

Last edited by voracious71; 03-14-2013 at 09:55 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Two: a Kindle Keyboard and a Kobo Touch. At the moment, I don't have any real need to get another - those two cover the two main ebook file types, which allow me to buy from a variety of stores. They're both 2+ years old, and hopefully they'll keep going for another little while.

EDIT: Okay, in a week, make that three, as I ordered a refurbished Sony PRS T1 last night. :P I

Last edited by Avalona; 03-16-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #96
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
** Ha, I know I have too many ereaders because I forgot that I posted on this thread already. Starting to really lose track!!

Any particular reason why you prefer your Kobos & Kindles over your PRS-T1?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #97
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

You didn't ask me, but I can answer why I prefer my 2 Kindles to my Sony T1. Not only are they a little more attractive, but I LOVE the time to read feature. My Paperwhite and touch can do everything my T1 does, and more. I'm thinking of selling my poor T1, as it is getting neglected.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #98
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
...you can have too many ereaders?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #99
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Three...

My original ebookwise, that I really should use more because I loved the backlight and reading in bed with it (hate the formatting issues though.)

My 505 that I bought used then went through a customer service nightmare with Sony over (I'll give you a hint: It was blue when I sent it in to be repaired, it came back as a black 600, which I threw a fit over, then finally ended up as a silver 505 which I promptly put a skin on.) The battery hasn't been holding a charge lately and I am too afraid of damaging it to put a new one in, so it's a nice decoration for my bedside table.

My T1 that I bought on sale when I heard they might be discontinuing them. I don't like the library organization and having to page through each page to reach the end of the alphabet-- a real pain when you have a lot of books. I don't use it as much as I used to use the 505. I have occasionally pulled out my phone to read on instead, but that's not really ideal either.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #100
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloude View Post
My T1 that I bought on sale when I heard they might be discontinuing them. I don't like the library organization and having to page through each page to reach the end of the alphabet-- a real pain when you have a lot of books. I don't use it as much as I used to use the 505. I have occasionally pulled out my phone to read on instead, but that's not really ideal either.
Hello stormcloude,

Have you tried to create and manage collections with Calibre? That way, you don't have to go through too many pages to find the right book. Calibre and Sony work very well together.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #101
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Hello stormcloude,

Have you tried to create and manage collections with Calibre? That way, you don't have to go through too many pages to find the right book. Calibre and Sony work very well together.

I do use that, but I still wind up with many pages of tags to browse through in order to find specific things. I miss the way the 505 broke things down into pages of 0-9 a-c d-f, etc. I work around it by not keeping too many things on my ereader and using the search function to find specific things, but trying to browse when I can't remember a specific author, title or key word is irritating. And I miss keeping lots of books on my ereader.

I find it's much easier to browse my box/dropbox on my phone then just download when I find what I want to read. I means I don't manage my collection as well because I'm avoiding the calibre tagging and reformatting steps, but I am at least getting to read instead of spending my time worrying about "managing." I guess maybe I am in a transitional phase of finding what works best for me.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #102
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
In order of acquisition:

RCA REB1100 (loved and used extensively... my wife had me pick up a second one for her)
Franklin eBookman (was looking for something a little more portable, and the MobiPocket support was nice as well)
PRS-600 (silver, bought refurbished from Woot! Loved and used extensively)
PRS-T1 (my primary device now)

Android devices (PDF support and web browsing):
Archos 5 Internet Tablet
Motorola Atrix (4G, then upgraded to HD)
Sony Tablet S
Nexus 7

I mainly use my PRS-T1 for reading, and my Nexus 7 and Atrix HD for reading PDF's, comics, and web browsing.

I still own all the devices on the list and all are still functional except the scroll wheel broke on the eBookman and the battery on my wife's REB1100 died. The PRS-600 has the screen fading issue and hasn't been booted up since I got the T1. I also haven't booted the Archos in a couple of years.

I've been through a number of other odd devices (like portable Wyse terminals) trying to find a device to read PDF's on and surf the web before tablets really came into their own.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #103
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Just two, My Kindle DX and Kindle Keyboard. I want to buy some kind of tablet for reading scripts, because even on the DX they don't look great, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #104
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

For the Kindle, Amazon's bookstore, customer service and the built in light. For the Kobos, the built in light on the Glo, and I know this is lame of me, but I like little badges you get. Kobo has come a long way hardware wise and their store continues to improve.

I don't hate the Sony at all..just don't seem to use it much anymore.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #105
voracious71
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
...you can have too many ereaders?
According to me, no. According to family and friends of mine, yes.