Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Based on the conversation we had in the other thread you now have calibre set to Automatic management of Collections, so please don't put any effort into creating a TBR Collection manually on the PRST1 -- it will disappear the next time you connect the T1 to calibre!

The way to create a TBR Collection is to maintain the info in the calibre library. There are many ways to do this depending on which calibre columns you've currently set up to create Collections. For instance, if you're using the 'tags' column, just add a tag called TBR to each book you want to be in the list. Next time you connect you'll have a TBR Collection containing every book with the TBR tag which is also on the T1.

Alternatively, you could add a new custom column called 'tbr' (with possible values of TBR or blank) and add the new column (#tbr) to the list of fields you're using to create Collections (in the Sony PRST1 Device Interface plugin)
Yes, but I found out the hard way.. TAGS are really annoying. If you pull down metadata for a book, it will give you like 5 tags per book, and on the Sony it translates a tag to a collection. I stopped downloading any tags in Calibre.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #32
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I know what I'd like to see for a new reader from Sony.

Higher resolution screen
Matte finish
Quicker processing
A little more internal memory would be nice
Wireless firmware updates

and maybe a pretty dark blue model!

As for a lighted screen, if it cuts contrast or is easily scratched, I can live without. I'm just fine with the lighted covers.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Standby turns off IR lights for touch screen and stops looking for touch input. This is small power saving that adds up to big battery saving over time. Turning reader off adds turn off power used to maintain data in RAM again this is small power draw from battery that adds up over time. I only turn off power when not going to read for 4 to 8 hours or days. It takes heavy power draw to load data back onto RAM. Just now mine took 30 seconds loading RAM before able to read and 8 minutes until it stops loading ram.
Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense. From now on I will be leaving it in sleep mode.

And I just want to say again, how much FASTER the T1 is compared to KoboTouch! It's just amazing.

After more use, I think the only thing I really miss is the clock available during reading. [Busy Mom who loses all track of time when reading = 'disaster' ], and at times the dreaded 'shiny bezel' is distracting. Those 2 fixes alone would make me look at a new Sony ereader down the road.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #34
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Yes, but I found out the hard way.. TAGS are really annoying. If you pull down metadata for a book, it will give you like 5 tags per book, and on the Sony it translates a tag to a collection. I stopped downloading any tags in Calibre.
Yep, same here. I felt that I ended up having almost as many collections as individual books!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #35
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
I do use tags in Calibre, and after downloading I simply delete the collections I don´t want. One wish is to be able to delete all tags globally...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
lornaw
lornaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
oops.. this got posted twice

Last edited by lornaw; 06-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.
lornaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
First you can change the Sony device plugin to use whatever you want to create collections, from tags to series to custom columns.

I use tags and series to create collections so I only use the Goodreads Metadata download plugin to download tags. I have a 10000 book library but only 240 tags. This plugin allows you to map the genres from goodreads to match what tags you choose. By default the plugin has about 60 mapped tags. I went through Goodreads and tried to map all of their genres and sub-genres to tags. This makes using tags to create collections much more manageable. For more info check out my post here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-19-2012 at 08:02 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #38
lornaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
I love how fast the T1 is compared to Touch! Having said that, there are a couple of features I'm surprised the T1 doesn't have which the Touch does.
The one feature that truly annoyed me with the KT, was the 'Recommended for You' feature added after my last upgrade to the KT. The recommendations were mainly 'erotic.' It was a little shocking at first, as I have kids, but now I can laugh about it. Apparently I wasn't alone and others have had the same issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #39
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaw View Post
The one feature that truly annoyed me with the KT, was the 'Recommended for You' feature added after my last upgrade to the KT. The recommendations were mainly 'erotic.' It was a little shocking at first, as I have kids, but now I can laugh about it. Apparently I wasn't alone and others have had the same issue.
OMgosh, I feel for you! Thankfully, I learned early on to change the carousel to my shortlist, so I actually didn't mind that being there, but the erotic, yeah, that would have bothered me. It still annoys me how far off some of their recommendations are even though I've been buying from them for over a year now!

Reminds me of when I was learning ebook buying, and kept getting all these childrens books in searches, so 1 day I changed the settings to 'adult', not thinking what the results would be.... That's fine for those who want it, but it certainly wasn't the results I was looking for!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #40
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My post #30 in this thread stated Just now mine PRS-T1 took 30 seconds loading RAM before able to read and 8 minutes until it stops loading ram.

I just timed it again and it only took 2 minute until it stopped loading ram. Don't know why time changed.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #41
lornaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Reminds me of when I was learning ebook buying, and kept getting all these childrens books in searches, so 1 day I changed the settings to 'adult', not thinking what the results would be.... That's fine for those who want it, but it certainly wasn't the results I was looking for!
Yes, I understand that one too !! I also have my titles on short list too. The books get 'recommended' from the (title) tags from my purchased books and now I just ignore them. I get a laugh from some of the titles.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #42
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The two things that I would want Sony to add to the T1 would be support for the Audible format, and the ability to add additional dictionaries (I'd really love a Latin>English one).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
The two things that I would want Sony to add to the T1 would be support for the Audible format, and the ability to add additional dictionaries (I'd really love a Latin>English one).
Hear hear for being able to add dictionaries. I bought my T1 thinking I would be able to read Polish with the help of a dictionary, but no such luck. I have to stick to my PB 902 and use the keypad for choosing words if I want to do that.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #44
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On the issue of dictionaries, I would like my reader to be able to update the current dictionaries. There are many words in books I read that the dictionary does not know so an update every few months or so with new words definitions seems to be due.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #45
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I was in Best Buy last night & next to the T1 was a sign, "New e-reader coming." I don't know if it was specifically meant for the T1 or just happened to be placed there & meant there were new e-readers coming in general. Has me curious now & I couldn't get a salesperson to ask.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote