Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I admit I am a newbie, not sure what the references to Dyson or Black and Decker imply. Can you enlighten me?
Dyson makes vacuum cleaners and now a portable vacuum. Blacker and Decker make the Dustbuster.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I've sort of settled into using the old Sony software (Reader Library) for interacting with the store and reading purchased content, and Calibre for everything else. I deleted the new Reader software because of the annoying sync behavior (and the equally annoying fact that it took up a separate authorization in addition to the Reader Library, even though it was on the same computer).

Now that Sony is putting out a standalone firmware updater, the only thing I can't figure out is how to do without the Reader software is deauthorize a T1, but that's not something I need to do very often. I suppose I can reinstall Reader if I have to do it, or call Sony and have them do it.

I hadn't used Calibre until now - great program. It enabled me to not only manage the T1 but easily clean up my library and convert all my RTF's and LRF's to EPUB.
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 12-13-2011 at 07:12 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I use both. I have always used the Sony software for managing my books. I love the collections feature. I use Calibre to convert my books after I dis-infect them. then sideload them onto my reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I use both. I have always used the Sony software for managing my books. I love the collections feature. I use Calibre to convert my books after I dis-infect them. then sideload them onto my reader.
Do you buy ePub and convert them? If so, why? Calibre can do some rather nasty things going ePub > ePub.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I admit I am a newbie, not sure what the references to Dyson or Black and Decker imply. Can you enlighten me?
We are not allowed to talk very spefically here.
First google "Apprentice Alf" an if you want to have some fun, read the thread I linked to in post #13.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I always try to buy epub, but sometimes it is only offered in pdf, so I get those & convert to epub.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Dyson ? Brrrr, shudder........

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I did forget about that. But really, we should be calling it a Dyson. It just sounds better.
But...Dysons look like they're going to sneak upstairs one night and suck you into some alien vortex..

Then get George Martin to incorporate you into Book 37......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, Calibre has a horrendous file management system, it saves every book in its own directory on your hard drive. This wastes a lot of space (may not be an issue if you have a smaller collection) and makes the management of these books nearly impossible with a normal file manager.
So if you switch to Calibre, then you have to stick with it, as managing the collection any other way is nearly impossible.
I use the standard Sony Connect software to move the books to the Reader. I only use Calibre if I have to convert something that BookDesigner 5.0 cannot convert.

If you do not want to manage your book files with a normal file manager ever, then Calibre is a good option though.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Sorry as this is kind of offtopic....

I'm trying to convert PDF to EPUB but I don't see T1 Output profile in Calibre.

The output profile shows:
Sony Reader (intended for PRS line 500/505/600/700)
Sony Reader 300 (intended for PRS-300)
Sony Reader 900 (intended for PRS-900)
Sony Reader Landscape (500/505/700 etc in landscape mode, mainly useful for comics)

Can you tell me which one to choose for T1?
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sega View Post

The output profile shows:
Sony Reader (intended for PRS line 500/505/600/700)
Sony Reader 300 (intended for PRS-300)
Sony Reader 900 (intended for PRS-900)
Sony Reader Landscape (500/505/700 etc in landscape mode, mainly useful for comics)

Can you tell me which one to choose for T1?
The first one works fine (although converting PDF to anything else isn't fine but it's nothing to do with the Output profile)

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-14-2011 at 11:35 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:

First option should work. If you are not happy with the result, try in BookDesigner 5. In my experience PDF is very poorly converted by Calibre.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

PDF can be very poorly converted even using Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Thanks for your help. It worked.

The files I'm converting are simple PDF with just words... I think it turned out OK but if I have a option to convert from LIT, is that a better choice?
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If the LIT is good, it's definitely a better choice to convert from.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
The files I'm converting are simple PDF with just words... I think it turned out OK but if I have a option to convert from LIT, is that a better choice?
Yes.
In the order of preference from best (LIT) to worst (PDF):

LIT > MOBI > EPUB > FB2 > HTML > PRC > RTF > PDB > TXT > PDF
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote