Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Iliad 2?

What's the current word on the street about a new model of iLiad? Any rumours/indications of when one is likely to be released?

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
iRex announced an updated Version of the iLiad, with a little bit more powerful battery and rumor has it, that there are some cosmetic changes to the plastik. It was announced for sometime this year, but nothing conclusive yet.

As for a real iLiad 2.0: I know, that iRex is still developing and researching, but i havent heared anything concrete about a second generation iLiad yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
canicula
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
iRex announced an updated Version of the iLiad, with a little bit more powerful battery and rumor has it, that there are some cosmetic changes to the plastik. It was announced for sometime this year, but nothing conclusive yet.

As for a real iLiad 2.0: I know, that iRex is still developing and researching, but i havent heared anything concrete about a second generation iLiad yet.
Thanks for that. I think I'll wait for the announced revision of the current model before buying. I want a larger device for A4 PDF viewing to complement the Sony Reader for fiction. The potential longer battery life sounds useful though. Having said that, it sparks a question:

What is the typical battery life between charges on the current model with the latest OS update?

Ian
Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

i get between 11 and 15 hours out of my iLiad. (using the enhanced ipdf viewer)
Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What about using MobiPocket ot FBReader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty similar, I'd say. I've never "drained" my iLiad's battery, but after 5 or 6h of actual reading, the battery meter is showing about half full.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
I think with FBreader you get 10 hours aboutish, and with iPDF with powersavings over 13 hours.
But That are estimations. based on the battery status.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
canicula
Enthusiast

Making Notes...

Thanks for the info on the battery. Next questions:

What's the note taking functionality like? Is it good enough for making notes in a meeting? Can it keep up with a fast writer? What happens when you need a new page to continue writing on when the current one is filled. How do you get a new page to write on? What effect does note writing have on the battery?

Cheers,

Ian
Old 08-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Expect note-taking to use your battery up about twice as quickly as just reading. I took notes in an advanced calculus class last spring, and I've used note-taking in several meetings. The speed is ok, though there's a bit of a delay in getting a new page. Getting your text back out into an editable format is somewhat difficult. It's all stored as graphics. I haven't tried the PC software that alleges to be able to turn your handwriting into text.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I haven't tried the PC software that alleges to be able to turn your handwriting into text.
I tried the demo: it's surprisingly accurate (I have terrible writing), and it was easy to use (but I don't do enough note-taking to justify the expense).
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
canicula
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
The speed is ok, though there's a bit of a delay in getting a new page.
How do you get a new page? Do you use the rocker bar? Also, can you rest your hand on the screen whilst writing?

Ian
Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
To get a new page using the standard "notes" function, you have to tap an icon at the bottom of the screen. Alternatively you can create a "notebook" with blank PDF pages and write on that, and then you can change pages using the rocker bar.

You can rest your hand or anything else other than the stylus on the screen -- the screen only reacts to a wacom-type stylus. However, I've several times accidentally hit the various hardware buttons while taking notes. There's a useful icon that turns them off that you'll want to tap.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
canicula
Enthusiast

Thanks again. I've just borrowed a Compaq TC1000 out of work for a month to see how it functions as a slate for reading PDF's on. It's about 3 times heavier than an iLiad, will have much less battery life, but is colour, which will be useful for things like Scientific American etc.

If the TC1000 is too restrictive, due to weigh and battery etc. then an iLiad will be in the frame. I would like to have a look at the Motion Computing LS800 as well. It's small and light.

I had a play yesterday with a Samsung Q1 in work. it's a nice size and weight. I couldn't get PDF Reader in full screen mode to show the top half of an A4 page then the bottom half. Not surprisingly it displayed the whole page in full page mode! Does anyone know of any way to show half a page in full screen mode?

Ian
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
tribble
iLiad Maniac

i use a LG C1 tablet PC. Its very light, lasts about 4 to 5 hours with a 6-cell battery. I like to work with it, but for reading i very much prefer the iLiad.