Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #12871
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Didn't really think so, though the mnemonics do stand for Hyper Text Markup Language...
Yes, but not all languages are programming languages. You can't write a Turing Machine in HTML.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #12872
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Scala
Another two points.

HIMS: 18
orlok: 15
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #12873
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, but not all languages are programming languages. You can't write a Turing Machine in HTML.
I know. It was just tongue in cheek.

Pro4? (ProIV?)
RPGII
RPGIII
RPGIV

dBase
Unity
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #12874
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
SNOBOL
Tcl
Dylan
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #12875
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think we all know who the geeks are in this room.
Advert
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #12876
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:

Pro4? (ProIV?)
dBase
Unity
Six points.

Quote:
RPGII
RPGIII
RPGIV
Nice Try. 0 points.

Quote:
SNOBOL
Tcl
Dylan
3 points. (I remember Dylan. I probably have the Apple dev kit somewhere!)

HIMS: 21 points
orlok: 21 poiints

It's neck-and-neck!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #12877
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ada ....
Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #12878
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Ada ....
Yes! 1 point

orlok: 22 points
HIMS: 21 poiints

There are still more to go!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #12879
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, I give.

I think we've sufficiently driven away everyone except us three.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #12880
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'll give it another few hours, in case someone else wants to join in, or orlok wants to increase his lead. And then I'll post all the ones I can think of that the two of you have missed!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #12881
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Okay, I give.

I think we've sufficiently driven away everyone except us three.
I've about run out, and actually you deserve the win as I took all the low hanging fruit by being the first to answer . Many of yours I have never heard of.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #12882
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What is utterly silly???
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #12883
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
What is utterly silly???
You need to win a quiz before setting one.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #12884
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I declare orlok the winner.

Common languages not mentioned:
Coral 66
Postscript
Perl
AppleScript
Batch (DOS/Windows)
BCPL
Logo
Lua
Modula

A few oddities
BBC Basic (sufficiently different to count, I think)
SOBS Basic (Southampton Official BASIC System from the mid 1970s - one idiosyncracy was the use £ instead of $ for strings.)
JEAN (Another one from my ICL 1904 days)

A vast list is available at Wikipedia.

Anyway, over to orlok!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #12885
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I thought Perl was mentioned by Orlok. I wouldn't call Postscript a language, it's markup for printing much like HTML is markup for a screen, although you can iterate and such so it does get interpreted which makes it a language. Would that not make ghostscript and LaTeX also a language (it has \loop and \repeat items?) I'm assuming pdurrant was meaning that you could make a Turing Machine with the language in question.

I should have gotten Logo.