Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #61
SonyFan
Words Are Truth!
SonyFan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Hello, All,

Just to add the simplest message of all - Sony PRS-700BC

I do most of my reading at night - Built in booklight, and a beautiful M-Edge Leather case.

No additional Lights, accessories, what have you, required - Beat that, Nook, Kindle, et al!
SonyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #62
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
I recently purchased a Sony PRS505 its my second one, when I broke my first I thought I'd try something else so I got the cool-er. The cool-er was OK but the software was absolute pants and page turns took an age, all the while I had it I longed for my Sony .

I broke the Cool-er after about a year (same life span as the first Sony) and went on the hunt for a new e-reader, I didn't like the idea of a keyboard on my BOOK so it was between the PRS505 and the PRS650 after playing with the PRS650 I knew I didn't want touch-screen either so I purchased another 505.
I cannot stress enough how good the 505 is, its rock solid, beautiful and well made. The screen is vizplex rather than pearl but tbh the difference is negligible between the two.

Thought I'd add that although the first Sony only lasted a year it has nothing to do worth the build of the E-Reader its me
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #63
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Interesting as I find the 650 noticeably faster than the 505, and a better screen with wider choice of type sizes, as well as options that help a great deal with PDF books!

"the software was absolute pants" -- I have never run across that expression before, but finally inferred you meant it was confusingly worthless?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #64
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
"the software was absolute pants" -- I have never run across that expression before, but finally inferred you meant it was confusingly worthless?
Yes forgive me its an English youth thing (i like to get down with the kids )
Quote:
Interesting as I find the 650 noticeably faster than the 505, and a better screen with wider choice of type sizes, as well as options that help a great deal with PDF books!
Ok let me answer you on these counts , I have never read a book on the 505 and found myself wishing the page turns were faster, I mean its just as quick as turning a page in a pbook perhaps a little quicker. I have never found myself wondering why there wasn't more font size options as i feel the available font choices cover all of my needs (see where this is going), and with regards to PDF's i NEVER read PDF's. I suppose that what i should have written is that if you are willoing to pay double the price for touchscreen and page turns that are around half a second quicker then go for the 650 instead (all meant in good nature )
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #65
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK no problem -- my public library has an extensive selection of free e-books, some of which (perhaps 25%) as only available in PDF format; the 650's margin-cropping, zooming, etc. really come into play here (EPUB's ... not so much). I didn't think I'd use the dictionary feature, but I do occasionally (I didn't think I'd use the video feature on my player I got for audiobooks, but I have quite a library there now). I only wish there were French or Spanish books available to use those dictionaries, too!
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #66
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
And the PRS350 is the smallest, most portable dedicated eReader I have found. I am VERY happy with my choice and I am one of those people who mistrust Sony because they have pulled some of the most boneheaded anti consumer stunts ever.

But this time, they got it right! Kudos to Sony.
Yeah, I've been drooling over the 350 for that reason, plus the touch screen. But I have a 300 so I can't quite talk myself into spending the money.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Just checked the Kindle, it won't work on my PDF's either. So, it's my PDF, not the device...

Then you don't want the 350 either. It also has a touchscreen...
But it also has page turn keys.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #68
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Probably would boxcomer. I like the touch screen that the sony has over the Kindle.

I have my eye on a Sony and I am waiting for the price of the unit to hit what I want to pay for it, $100. Experience has taught me that if I am patient enough someone somewhere will eventually get me the electronic product for the price that I want to pay for it. I am watching and waiting to get my price.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #69
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Probably would boxcomer. I like the touch screen that the sony has over the Kindle.

I have my eye on a Sony and I am waiting for the price of the unit to hit what I want to pay for it, $100. Experience has taught me that if I am patient enough someone somewhere will eventually get me the electronic product for the price that I want to pay for it. I am watching and waiting to get my price.
Good luck!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #70
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
... I only wish there were French or Spanish books available to use those dictionaries, too!
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/fr

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/es
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #71
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Device: Opus
Quote:
I only wish there were French or Spanish books available to use those dictionaries, too!
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com also has 2000+ books, and they have better typography then gutenberg.
Eric Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #72
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks folks, but I'm not big on reading classics - there seems to be no source for current French/Spanish books.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #73
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

In case you missed it, Sony has a trade-in program going on right now, and will take any EBR in trade. They say they'll give $75, so that brings the 350 well within your target range. And the 650 is on sale at Borders for 179, or at least, it was yesterday.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...&cmsId=tradeup
Old 11-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #74
Renji
Connoisseur
Renji began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story WiFi, Sony PRS-T1
Memory card was the big factor from the Kindle also I have heaps of epub books which i prefer to just have on my memory cards.
Renji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #75
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
For the pure sexiness of it.

Seriously, I was sold on touch screen, double tap to dictionary, and the more "open" of Sony platform.
I may not be your best research demographic though, cause I only ever considered Kindle, Nook, and Sony.

*glance over my 650*
Ok it is the sexiness that sold me
lack is offline   Reply With Quote