Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
drpepperslurpee
drpepperslurpee began at the beginning.

Device: complete newbie
Not even sure where to start - netbook or ereader?

I am an avid reader who just booked a long trip (1 month) to Southeast Asia. There is no way I would be able to carry enough books to last me through the trip, LOL.

Because I am Canadian, a Kindle is not an option. My limited knowledge thinks my best choices come down to a netbook or a Sony Reader. Cost is always a factor, but I have a reasonable budget (maybe $500 CDN) I amy or may not be inclined to share this item with my teenage daughter,

While I think the added features of email and web browsing would be convenient with the netbook, the larger size and shorter battery life would not. I'm also rather clueless about the cost and availability of ebooks (primarily popular fiction) that would be downloadable onto either medium.

Where do I start looking? What other factors do I need to weigh? If a netbook is the way to go, what models/brands should I be looking at?

Thanks,
Carrie
drpepperslurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hee Hee Hee! Welcome to MobileRead, DrPepperSlurpee.

You've come to the right place.

Personally, I wouldn't trade my K1 for a netbook, the netbook will be in addtiion to the K1.

E-ink reading is way easier on the eyes than a backlit display, you'll hear that lots here.

Also, the dedicated ebook reader, whichever one you choose, will be way lighter, and easier to carry around. Books will be at your fingertips, automatically bookmarked, and easy to take in and out of your purse/carrying bag.

Just my opinions. enjoy the forums!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
As a fellow Canadian, a Sony or a netbook aren't your only options. Since stores like Fictionwise and Books on Board sell to Canadians (at very reasonable prices with a huge selection and great member programs) you can explore other formats as well. I have had a Cybook for about a year and a half and couldn't be happier with the selection or the ease of use. It uses mobipocket as its secure format although I understand they are moving to a new edition which will focus on epub instead. I believe there is a newer and cheaper e-ink device now that also supports the secure mobi format or else you can jump on the epub bandwagon which certainly seems to be getting a lot of hype these days.

As to a netbook it really depends on what you want it for. E-ink devices are top in class for what they do but what they do well is limited to reading books. If you read only occasionally, aren't therefore as worried about eye strain or optimal viewing formats and need a device to other things like surf the internet, make phone calls or whatever then obviously a netbook is a better fit.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Being a serious reader, I'm not willing to give up my Kindle or Sony readers. I'm planning a trip to Ireland in September and will be taking one e-Ink reader and a netbook. I haven't decided which reader to take, but will have to pare down to only one rather than carrying everything I own as I usually do!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
you say you're looking to read popular fiction. that generally means DRM. i love my cybook, which reads DRM'ed mobipocket files that can also be read on your laptop, netbook or desktop computer if you feel like it.

i very much prefer to read on an eink screen most of the time - much easier on the eyes. i also prefer reading with my cybook because with the cover on i can hold it just like i'd hold a very thin paperback book.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
If you're an avid reader, totally go for a device. You'll love it.

I'm currently thinking about getting a netbook, for traveling.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you should get a reader if you plan to read more than 1 or 2 hours per day, or, if you have ever experienced eyestrain from looking into monitors. I'm 20 and reading from a netbook gave me blurry vision after a few months.

I would shoot for the sony 505, its probably the cheapest you could get, and its great, and you will have acess to the sony ebook store. but, if you have anyfriends stateside I would suggest to get a kindle in a heartbeat.

pick up a used 505 on ebay and you will get a nice cheap intro into the ebook world.

or you can get a Jetbook from Newegg.ca
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I would get a Sony...the Kindle isn't available in Canada, and if you like current bestsellers, the Jetbook would be out as well since it can't read drm'ed books.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
As a fellow Canadian, a Sony or a netbook aren't your only options. Since stores like Fictionwise and Books on Board sell to Canadians (at very reasonable prices with a huge selection and great member programs) you can explore other formats as well. I have had a Cybook for about a year and a half and couldn't be happier with the selection or the ease of use. It uses mobipocket as its secure format although I understand they are moving to a new edition which will focus on epub instead. I believe there is a newer and cheaper e-ink device now that also supports the secure mobi format or else you can jump on the epub bandwagon which certainly seems to be getting a lot of hype these days.
Mel
As a Canadian who also has a Cybook I think it's a great option! It currently has the best support for Mobipocket in eInk and all indications are that it will continue to support Mobipocket going forward, perhaps not with DRM-ePub in the same firmware though. I love all the font sizes and justification options.

A cheaper eInk device which also supports DRM-Mobipocket is the BeBook, or any of the Hanlin clones. I also have this device and love it for the folder support, which is still missing on the Cybook.

Both give a good reading experience and are much easier on the eyes than a netbook is. I wouldn't give up my netbook for web-browsing and email, but wouldn't want to read on it for too long. The eInk devices are so much lighter and easier to curl up with.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I don't think I'll be much help since I like to travel with both. My Sony 505 is smaller and lighter and there is no start up wait time when I want to read.

I have the netbook for everything else, but it is heavier and more awkward to hold onto for reading. When I have time to wait for it to boot up, it is nice to be able to go out and check my email or surf the web and to be able to back up my photos every night.

For practical reading, the Reader is (in my opinion) the better choice! There are too many other distractions available on a netbook for me to use it to read a book, I think. However, I prefer to have the flexibility of both gadgets with me if possible.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 05-27-2009 at 04:35 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
recordsmith
recordsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Curve
Netbooks in my opinion are not really for reading books. The internet yes, not a book. No I love my netbook, it really is great. But I also love the ebook reading experience. i would say have a netbook for computing and a reader for well reading. i have ditched my laptop for good!
recordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I am a traveler as well and we often head over to the UK and Europe for extended visits (1-3 months) and for this reason I got the Sony 505. When away we actually do most of our web stuff on our Blackberrys and Laptop (which is practically glued to my other half).

Good luck with your decision and have an awesome trip - I'd love to go there sometime!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Netbooks are wonderful (I have a Dell one), but not for reading eBooks. The "letterbox" format screen is just the wrong shape and, even if you turn it sideways, the keyboard gets in the way.

There's just no comparison with an eInk device for reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #14
bouncy2009
bouncy2009 began at the beginning.

Device: none
please check this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45046 Maybe it can give you some suggestion.
bouncy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote