Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Pepin33
Zealot
Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation Save to disk, metadata and covers

When I use "save to disk" to save a book, if I have the "Update metadata in saved copies" option checked, the metadata is saved inside the book. But also the cover. I don't know if it's very consistent (is a metadata the cover?), but right, it's OK.

But when I check "save cover separately", it saves covers in separate files... but it also continues saving it inside the book, overwriting the one the book had before (if "update metadata" option is checked, of course).

It's a bug, or is it intentional?

Last edited by Pepin33; 09-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Pepin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin33 View Post
It's a bug, or is it intentional?
This by design. Any process calibre does that exports a book outside of the library should cause the metadata of that book to be updated.

If a book doesn't have the cover identified correctly to begin with the cover won't be updated inside the book. In those cases the only way to embed the cover may be by doing a conversion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Pepin33
Zealot
Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Pepin33 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sorry, duplicated message. Can be deleted.

Last edited by Pepin33; 09-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Pepin33
Zealot

Thanks for your answer, DotorOhh, but I think we are not talking about the same question.

I say that, at "Save to disk options", there are a "update metadata in saved copies" chekbox. If you check this, metadata from Calibre is saved inside the file of the book when saving (exporting) it. Including also the cover. Right. If you don't check this, then metadata are saved in another file. Right again.

But there is also another option, "save cover separately". If you check this, when saving a book, you get another file (jpg) containing Calibre's cover. But the cover inside the book format file is still updated with Calibre's cover. I think, if you're asking the program to save the cover separately, it must not be updated in the book format files...

Last edited by Pepin33; 09-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC, these extra files exist because some devices can't/won't read metadata/covers for their 'bookshelf' and need a separate file
The book is still updated.
Notr: the Original (Library copy) is not affected by this operation and must be updated via a separate process
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Pepin33
Zealot

Ok, theducks, I understand. So this is intentional, then. I thought this could be a bug.

Yes, I know the library books are not affected, but I wanted the "saved book" format file was not affected, too. Really, I wanted metadata was saved, but cover doesn't. But if there's not way to do this, I can live with it.

Last edited by Pepin33; 09-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for your answer, DotorOhh, but I think we are not talking about the same question.
You are right I was on a different wave length.

Quote:
I say that, at "Save to disk options", there are a "update metadata in saved copies" chekbox. If you check this, metadata from Calibre is saved inside the file of the book when saving (exporting) it. Including also the cover. Right. If you don't check this, then metadata are saved in another file. Right again.
If you check the "update metadata in saved copies" check box the metadata and cover are embedded in the book. If the box is not checked metadata and cover are not embedded in the book. There is not any other file created based on this check box.

Quote:
But there is also another option, "save cover separately". If you check this, when saving a book, you get another file (jpg) containing Calibre's cover.
Again a independent check box used to save covers separately. Folks use this feature many different ways, as theducks states, also for backup or mass resizing.

Quote:
But the cover inside the book format file is still updated with Calibre's cover.
Only if the "update metadata in saved copies" chekbox is checked. Two independent options Updating metadata and saving covers separately.

Hope I was more on point this time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote