Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Library ebooks and Kindle

I've just bought a Kindle and although I plan to buy books from Amazon, a good portion of my reading is likely to be ebooks from the library. These seem to be mainly Adobe Epub format (which I believe I can convert and read on the Kindle easily enough by using Calibre).

I will be using the wireless connectivity for books I get from Amazon, and I've read a little about logs the Kindle sends back to Amazon. I've no real concern about that, but I am wondering if there is likely to be any issue with information about the library ebooks being collected by Amazon - because as I understand it, DRM might be removed from them when converting with Calibre (or am I wrong about that?).

Also, another unrelated query. I've just bought one Kindle at the moment but I can't see our current "we'll share it" plan working for long, so will soon have two in the household. Is it easy enough to share books bought on Amazon between the two Kindles?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
amazon is supposed to support library books this fall, no one knows for sure exactly what this means (epub or mobi) just have to wait and see. If both kindles are registered to the same account then sharing books between them is very easy.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I've no real concern about that, but I am wondering if there is likely to be any issue with information about the library ebooks being collected by Amazon - because as I understand it, DRM might be removed from them when converting with Calibre (or am I wrong about that?).
DRM will need to be removed from library books when importing into Calibre for converting formats. You will need to Google Apprentice Alf's Blog to find the necessary 'tools' and instructions. It is very easy to do..... and hopefully will be unnecessary soon. Welcome!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_macd
I will be using the wireless connectivity for books I get from Amazon, and I've read a little about logs the Kindle sends back to Amazon. I've no real concern about that, but I am wondering if there is likely to be any issue with information about the library ebooks being collected by Amazon
No one will argue that a myriad of details (location, drm status, time, etc..) doesn't get logged to a file on the Kindle itself (nor will they argue its ability to communicate that logfile to Amazon if it wanted to) ... BUT! ... no one, to date, has ever caught a Kindle actually sending any of that data back to Amazon yet. And many have tried.

Quote:
- because as I understand it, DRM might be removed from them when converting with Calibre (or am I wrong about that?)
Calibre itself has absolutely nothing to do with DRM removal. In fact, if the ebooks in question have DRM, calibre won't be able to convert them for you. Period.

There are, however, third-party (unsupported by calibre developers) plugins that will remove DRM from books as they are being imported into calibre's library.

I believe the distinction is rather important.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I did once talk to Kindle support, and they talked about looking at a log file on my Kindle, so it is certainly possible for them to see logged information, which I would expect. No point in logging it, otherwise.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I knew it was Calibre (+ plugins) that is required for DRM (just wasn't clear whether the library books would have DRM or not). Being able to read library ebooks is the only reason I've finally taken the plunge to buy a Kindle, so eventual official support will be ideal (though I'm in the UK so wouldn't be at all surprised to see it happening a lot later here than in North America).

Regards sharing books, I hadn't actually thought of registering them both to the same Amazon account, I guess that would be the easiest way to do it though. So thanks!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 08-27-2011 at 06:07 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Back in April 2011 I heard that Amazon was working on getting library book compatibility for Kindle but I've heard nothing at all since.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if this is vaporware.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
A librarian from one of the public libraries has confirmed that they are now allowed to tell users that they will be able to read library books on their Kindles by the end of September

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
Back in April 2011 I heard that Amazon was working on getting library book compatibility for Kindle but I've heard nothing at all since.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if this is vaporware.
If you read the announcement it says "By the end of the year."

Last year when Amazon made an announcement (the one about being able to loan your Kindle books to other Kindle users) it was also "by the end of the year" and it was literally the end of December when it went active.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Being able to read library ebooks is the only reason I've finally taken the plunge to buy a Kindle, so eventual official support will be ideal
This is an exceedingly odd decision to make, if you'll forgive me for saying so. The Kindle is pretty much the only reader on the market which CAN'T read library books directly. Would it not make more sense to buy one of the numerous ADE-based readers and be able to read them normally?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

That's a pretty good point HarryT, and probably seems a bit of bizarre logic. However, there were three main factors in buying the Kindle. In order of importance.

Price. I wouldn't pay over £100 for an ebook reader. I've just paid £68 for a refurbished Kindle, nothing else can match that, can it? (In addition, after-sales support, which Amazon tends to be pretty good at.)

Buying books. I only ever buy books online from Amazon, I guess buying ebooks is slightly different, but as much for convenience than anything else, there's no real reason to change.

Calibre. The fact that Calibre looks as if it makes converting formats for use on the Kindle so easy means it's not really much of an issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
pdagenius
Enthusiast
pdagenius is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3g + wifi Firmware: 3.2.1
Quote:
That's a pretty good point HarryT, and probably seems a bit of bizarre logic. However, there were three main factors in buying the Kindle. In order of importance.

Price. I wouldn't pay over £100 for an ebook reader. I've just paid £68 for a refurbished Kindle, nothing else can match that, can it? (In addition, after-sales support, which Amazon tends to be pretty good at.)

Buying books. I only ever buy books online from Amazon, I guess buying ebooks is slightly different, but as much for convenience than anything else, there's no real reason to change.

Calibre. The fact that Calibre looks as if it makes converting formats for use on the Kindle so easy means it's not really much of an issue.
Calibre worked on a book from my library to tx to the Kindle.
pdagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is an exceedingly odd decision to make, if you'll forgive me for saying so. The Kindle is pretty much the only reader on the market which CAN'T read library books directly. Would it not make more sense to buy one of the numerous ADE-based readers and be able to read them normally?
Agreed. I won a Kindle 3 and am saddened at the crazy process I would have to go through to borrow a library book to read. I'll just have to scour deals and read old books for the time being. I'm starting to think about selling it or getting a second reader just for the library. I'll believe Kindle borrowing from my library when I actually use it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Agreed. I won a Kindle 3 and am saddened at the crazy process I would have to go through to borrow a library book to read.
Once I decided that I'd be using Calibre to maintain my eBook library, the process became exactly the same process that it would be for getting any ADE book from any non-integrated store on to just about any reader. A little easier than most other readers, actually, thanks to the email feature.

Last edited by ApK; 08-29-2011 at 03:25 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
A librarian from one of the public libraries has confirmed that they are now allowed to tell users that they will be able to read library books on their Kindles by the end of September

cheers
But not in the UK, and hence of no use to the OP.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote