Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I think I will go and buy it now as it seems to have good reviews. I hope it will be as good as a thousand splendid suns.
I don't think you will be disappointed, it's a good book and if you liked A Thousand Splendid Suns you will most likely enjoy reading The Kite Runner.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Anybody read this one? A good friend recommended it. Would appreciate some feedback.

Author is Khaled Hosseini
I read it for a college class. its a really good book. There were several parts that made me sad and cry. Overall its a learning experience.

The film was released a couple month after my class read it.

The book had friendship, love and betrayal of someone you thought you could trust. Some of the secrets that were revealed was surprising.

Last edited by envy; 07-31-2010 at 10:30 PM.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 AM   #18
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
IMO, the writing is crap and does not justify having to bear the brutal story. BUT it seems I'm in a minority, so you should probably ignore me

There is absolutely no subtlety in the writing, nothing is left to the imagination, nothing is suggested, even the obvious is painstakingly laid out. I cannot stand that kind of writing, but most people don't seem to mind. If you're like me, don't bother with this book, otherwise just ignore this post.
Its the first time that I agree with you 100%

Last edited by beppe; 08-01-2010 at 03:34 AM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I think it's a fantastic book - an absolute must-read.

I enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns as well, but it didn't quit soar to the same level.

Yes, the story is brutal, at times - this is not cheerful reading. But the book is well worth the read nevertheless. The writing is superb, and the author does a wonderful job at leading the reader towards understanding the settings, the mindset, the historical events.

I wouldn't recommend it to a kid, due to the sometimes disturbing themes, but nothing in there is the gory-sadistic brutality of a splatter movie/book. The violence, in this novel, has its place in the narrative.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I find it disturbing that a book of this level is being discounted or even criticized for one brutal scene. Are we entering a new phase of reader-driven-censorship? Do we want writers to tell us just fairy tales, to convince us that growing up in a war-torn country was all smiles and hugs?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I find it disturbing that a book of this level is being discounted or even criticized for one brutal scene. Are we entering a new phase of reader-driven-censorship? Do we want writers to tell us just fairy tales, to convince us that growing up in a war-torn country was all smiles and hugs?
What exactly is reader-driven censorship? If it is the choice to read anything I want, and to comment on anything I choose with being thrown in jail or something, then, yes, I guess that's what this is.

I just don't choose at this particular stage in my life to read the gritty descriptive literature -- I'm all about escape these days. But I don't think giving an opinion or a criticism about a book is actually censorship, unless my opinion makes the book unavailable in some way for someone else to read. (And I'm pretty sure my opinion isn't worth that much to anybody! )
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
What exactly is reader-driven censorship? If it is the choice to read anything I want, and to comment on anything I choose with being thrown in jail or something, then, yes, I guess that's what this is.

I just don't choose at this particular stage in my life to read the gritty descriptive literature -- I'm all about escape these days. But I don't think giving an opinion or a criticism about a book is actually censorship, unless my opinion makes the book unavailable in some way for someone else to read. (And I'm pretty sure my opinion isn't worth that much to anybody! )
I have to admit I did not think the issue through - the above are more 'musings' than complete thoughts.
But something bothers me about this book being identified, and defined, as a book about 'violence' and a 'brutal rape'. Yes, that's in there - but it's such a small portion of it.

Somehow, it reminds me of all those schools that have been banning Ann Frank's diary because of its sexual content. Yet, I do realize the comparison is a bit unfair - those were some bigots looking for a pretext not to have their children read about nazi crimes...

Yet... something about people being discouraged from reading this book because of the violence in it - a couple of pages only - seems wrong.

But far from me wanting to discourage feedback and open discussion. If it bothers some, it might bother others - so it's right for people to know what to expect. Yet, they should also know this is not 'American Psycho'.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But something bothers me about this book being identified, and defined, as a book about 'violence' and a 'brutal rape'. Yes, that's in there - but it's such a small portion of it.
Considering what I read via others sources about the ongoings of day-to-day life in Afghanistan and what people there have to deal with, I think there is remarkably little violence and brutality in the book. The reality is by far more brutal and violent, and yet the people have to live it. I think whatever unpleasant things happen and are described in the book are necessary to give the reader a feel of that.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #23
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I bought the book and finished it last night. Although it was very sad it was a very good read and I'm glad I read it. I know books are almost always better than the film, but in this case I think this really is the case. The book allows the reader to really understand some of the key relationships which the movie couldn't quite do. The film was also very simplistic in places and glossed over things which needed more attention, which was given in the book.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is hard to say that I enjoyed this book because it is brutal and pretty depressing but I thought it was well written and I am glad that I read it. I doubt that I will ever see the film.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I finally got around to reading this and thought it was excellent. And it gives you a great insight into Afghanistan. It was brutal and sad in places but very well written and I am glad I made it through.

Thanks all for the advice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I finally got around to reading this and thought it was excellent. And it gives you a great insight into Afghanistan. It was brutal and sad in places but very well written and I am glad I made it through.

Thanks all for the advice.
I am glad you enjoyed the book
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #27
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
I read it about a year or so ago, thought it was magnificent. I've seen a lot of negative reviews of it, don't quite know why.

I read it as part of the Amazon Vine program before it came out. I know I gave it 5 stars, but the review is so buried, it would take me a while to find it.

Is it brutal in parts? Yup. But it's not gratuitous.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #28
Maker
Maker began at the beginning.

Device: none
I loved both Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns. Yes, they were brutal in certain places but I think the author was trying to communicate something to Western readers about how life can be for some of the people who live in Afghanistan. I highly recommend both.
Maker is offline   Reply With Quote