Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
"iBooks is worth the price alone for iPad as ebook reader" Sun-Times

An opinion regarding the iPad reader app "iBooks" from the Chicago Sun-Times.

Quote:
Don Knotts wasn’t really a bumbling small-town deputy. But he was so damned good in that role that he got completely typecast in it.

And that’s the same danger facing the iPad. It’s a tablet computer that can fulfill any function, provided that a developer write the app and Apple actually approves it for sale. But it’s just such a bloody good book reader that some folks will never wander far from its eBook functions. And why not? From one perspective, it’s hands-down the best book reader you can buy.
iPad, the Don Knotts of ereaders.

Steve Jobs will be speechless with the positive analogy.

More here
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I don't think a lot of young people under 30 even know who Don Knotts is.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
To me he'll always be the nervous man on the street interview on Steve Allen!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
I don't think a lot of young people under 30 even know who Don Knotts is.
I'm well into my 30s and don't know who he is, although maybe he wasn't so well known internationally.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I'm well into my 30s and don't know who he is, although maybe he wasn't so well known internationally.
You may not know his name. But you certainly have seen him.
He's been in "Matlock" and in "Three's Company". Both series have been huge successes in Germany and you most likely will have seen him in one of those. BTW: I'm 42.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
And of course the Andy Griffith Show, which I'd have to imagine made it to TV over there as well.

Barney Fife ring a bell, Crowl?
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Incredible Mr. Limpet to me.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don Knotts will always be Henry Limpet.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpit,and The Apple-Dumpling Gang are a few movies that come to mind. As I recall, he was also in several episodes of Matlock.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 06-22-2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I'm only in my thirty's if you count the speeds I have to travel in traffic.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Pics...

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
As much as I like my iPad, is it worth $500 just to be an eReader? Against the newly repriced Kindle and the Wifi Nook? If you were only going to read books on it? No. Save yourself a bundle and buy a Nook or Kindle and spend the saved money on books themselves.

Now if you allowed yourself to venture off the iBooks icon and into the other apps, even just going with the installed apps, on the 16G wi-fi model, compared to the Nook and Kindle, then yes. I'd say get one.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
As much as I like my iPad, is it worth $500 just to be an eReader? Against the newly repriced Kindle and the Wifi Nook? If you were only going to read books on it? No.
It's actually pretty competitively priced against the US$489 Kindle DX. I think it is worth considering purely as a bookreader, especially if you want a larger screen than the 6" readers offer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually pretty competitively priced against the US$489 Kindle DX. I think it is worth considering purely as a bookreader, especially if you want a larger screen than the 6" readers offer.
yeah, i agree. I was gonna spend $400 on iRex's DR800 in a couple weeks when I visit the States. Now that that's out: what's an extra $100 for an iPad? If you want color and/or quality PDF-viewing, it's a no-brainer.

if Sony's 900 drops in price, I might get that. Otherwise, i'll prolly buy an iPad... for reading and only reading.

sorry, one more thing: I also want to read at night. It is utterly incomprehensible to me that all the eReaders don't accommodate this. I don't care how, just do it. Totin' around a separate book-light is stank.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As a owner of the "lowly" 16G WIFI, I would agree that it is a much better deal than the Kindle DX. But, of course the 64G 3G would be a different matter, but then again why would you buy the 64G 3G for only reading books.

Having said that, there are folks that will simply like the Kindle DX better for reading than an iPad.... so for them the DX would be the better deal....

If someone is truly only going to read books, I can see looking at the other options. But really, as any of us iPad owners know... who is really going to ONLY read books on it..... there is so much more....

Oh, and as a kid I thought Don Knotts was the funnest person ever. As an adult I think of him as a legend....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Right. Also note this article was written before the public launch of the iPad, and before the recent price cuts.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote